Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Motor covers

Reaction score
Anybody using motor covers to protect against dust act? I'm not sure if it's a gimmick, never used on mine yet.

Anybody using motor covers to protect against dust act? I'm not sure if it's a gimmick, never used on mine yet.
I use them, but I am on the windy, dusty prairie. Mine are not actual motor covers, I just went to a hardware store and got end caps that are a soft rubber. I think I paid $0.20 each

Reactions: DCH
Yes I use them frequently when I strap my H on the back of my hydration day pack. I like the protection they afford the motors. Couldn't find anybody in the US selling them at the time so I had to order them form China, took for-ev-er.

@Murray Martz that's a great idea, I've bought many smaller rubber caps from the hardware store, but didn't think they came that big so I didn't explore it. Dang! And now they're closed! Why didn't you tell me a few hours ago?

Last edited:
Reactions: Murray Martz
I use them.small price to pay for any added protection you can obtain. So many ways for these typhoons to go wrong. So I use them to check dust in the motors of the checklist.

I have a lot of RC stuff and have never used anything like this. In my opinion they are completly obsolete. Obviously it does not do any harm using them but I doubt that they have any positiv effect as well.

I have a few different UAV's and one of them who I will not mention their name but they actually have this right in their user manual. If pressed I am sure Yuneec could feel the same way.

"XXXDrone was designed and optimized to fly as is. XXXCompany therefore strongly discourages the
use of any add-on or accessory which could be mounted on, or attached to (motor
covers, feet extensions, buoys, hulls, etc.). In addition to the overweight they carry for the
drone and its motors, they can indeed magnetically disturb and impair its
communications.
ND filters, however, are not affected by this warning: filters can be used on ’s lens, but
XXXCompany recommends installing them carefully, after the drone’s gimbal initialization."

I have a few different UAV's and one of them who I will not mention their name but they actually have this right in their user manual. If pressed I am sure Yuneec could feel the same way.

"XXXDrone was designed and optimized to fly as is. XXXCompany therefore strongly discourages the
use of any add-on or accessory which could be mounted on, or attached to (motor
covers, feet extensions, buoys, hulls, etc.). In addition to the overweight they carry for the
drone and its motors, they can indeed magnetically disturb and impair its
communications.
ND filters, however, are not affected by this warning: filters can be used on ’s lens, but
XXXCompany recommends installing them carefully, after the drone’s gimbal initialization."
Partially true in the sense of while in operation, but they need to be off to use the UAV. The covers I am talking about, you would never use while in flight. They cover the top of the motors when the props are not on. You use them to keep dust out while stored or in transport. Very useful, very handy, and just one more thing to extend the life of the motors.

The greatest risk of dust and grit motor contamination for camera drones occurs at the gimbal. A device where motor covers are never used and lenses are left unprotected from small debris becoming stuck on the lens, fouling the imagery. The use of a mat has long been the method most used to protect cameras and gimbals from contamination as the risk is greatest after arming and during landing.

Partially true in the sense of while in operation, but they need to be off to use the UAV. The covers I am talking about, you would never use while in flight. They cover the top of the motors when the props are not on. You use them to keep dust out while stored or in transport. Very useful, very handy, and just one more thing to extend the life of the motors.

Ah ok, thought they were something that was permanently mounted. Reviews I have seen for the ones you are talking about are mixed, some say they are hard to keep in place defeating the purpose of them.

Ah ok, thought they were something that was permanently mounted. Reviews I have seen for the ones you are talking about are mixed, some say they are hard to keep in place defeating the purpose of them.
Not hard to have stay in place at all. You go to a hardware store as I mentioned. Get soft rubber end caps and test them to make sure it is a friction fit. It's simple, just don't complicate it by over thinking is all.

Isn't it about 30mm diameter, without going and measuring?

Not hard to have stay in place at all. You go to a hardware store as I mentioned. Get soft rubber end caps and test them to make sure it is a friction fit. It's simple, just don't complicate it by over thinking is all.

Me over think things LOL you don't know very well. Read my signature :)

Got mine from china and did not take all that long to get here. Works great

Attachments

• DSCN0317.JPG
    DSCN0317.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: Mrgs1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member