Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Motor Error during flight/Lost Mantis

@USMC0351

The motor fault shows in file 2019_06_08_23_56_0 and appears that it flew about 30 feet before landing. The Mantis Q does not appear to have been powered off and was launched on the fateful flight about a minute later. All during that flight Angle mode is lost and the Mantis is flying in Manual mode and will therefore drift with the wind unless counteracted by pilot control.

I am attaching text files that extract some of the data found in the Mantis logs.

In the 23_56_0 file you can see launch at 01:33, and the Motor ) error and disabling at 01:42.

In the 23_57_1 file you can see the relaunch at 02:42, then at 02:52 you get an Emergency message 'Critical Navigation Failure - Check Sensor Calibr' followed by a Critical: 'No valid position, switching to manual mode'.
At 03:52 the Mantis attempts to re-enter Angle mode and with no valid position changes back to manual mode. Same again at 04:06, and 04:12.
At 04:42 another Critical: 'Manual Control lost' then regained and back to manual mode. At 05:00 and 05:04 a message is received that the Mantis is in the process of landing, then is returned to manual mode. At 05:07 a Critical: 'vehicle command 179' (possibly RTL) as the Home position is displayed. Then at 05:10 another Critical: 'vehicle command 176' (change to Angle mode ?) then a return to manual mode. Lastly starting around 05:33 are messages showing the Mantis trying to land with control still in manual mode.

The altitude was still rather high at time the file ended, but you should be able to have an idea of where it may have gone down. it was heading ENE during the last part of the flight.

Last Known Position.jpg
You can see the start of where it was entering RTL then exited to Angle mode where it looped south then resumed flying to the NE.

ScreenshotElevation_histogram_1.png
The green shows the altitude ending at about 70 meters and the blue line shows distance from the Home Point ending about 270 meters distant.

I would contact Yuneec CS at Yuneec USA | Support and file a claim if you are within the warranty period. I am not sure what your settings were in the YuneecPilot app in regards to RTL settings. At the time of the sensor warning near the start of the last file, it may have been prudent to have landed and checked on the aircraft.

Were you using an iOS or an Android device to run YuneecPilot?

You can start looking at the last position shown by the yellow line, then in a direction along the last part of the flight path.

Attachments

• 2019_06_08_23_56_0.txt
    5.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 2019_06_08_23_57_1.txt
    78.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: USMC0351
The 179 command issued coordinates 28.9633754, -82.5305317, 31.58 as Home.... That would be in Egypt... I know what you mean about being hard to get a visual, and I'm still searching the area currently.
the first 2 coordinates are latitude and longitude which work in Google maps or Earth. The last is the detected altitude MSL by the barometer in the Mantis at time of launch.

After a lot of hassle, I finally got ahold of Yuneec to submit a claim and send them the telemetry. Was told 5-7 days to go over data and reach a conclusion. I end up getting a killer deal on a real drone(DJI Spark). So after a week and no word from Yuneec, I attempt getting ahold of them again. Nothing. 3 weeks later and after multiple emails, attempts to get an agent on chat, and calling every number listed for them(none worked of course) to no avail. Finally I leave an honest review about my experience on their social media page. Couple days later I get an email saying that due to an "internal error" my case was "prematurely closed" and that they will be sending a replacement. Finally got it today, and it's a refurbished unit, that still has the video and pictures from the previous owner, as well as strange little specks or dots in the camera footage on FPV and the original footage. After a much better all around experience with the Spark, I have decided to stick with DJI and get a Mavic Pro or Air, since I can find them for ~$400-500. Even the $250 Spark outperforms the Mantis in every way except for battery life. Yuneec has a long way to go before they can be considered in the same league as DJI.

And yea Doomwhatever, I did check on the AC after the initial motor malfunction... That's probably why it's logged as 2 seperate flights, but thanks for trying....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval