Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Multi battery flight

Reaction score
Hello all. I am about to embark on a multi battery flight plan using the data pilot and want to make sure I have the process down
I begin the flight usual way and when I get to about 15% remaining I execute the RTL function. I let the bird land I just replace the battery without touching anything on the controller. Turn it on then let it reconnect and the resume flight function should appear after a bit correct??

Tony....I always landed, shut off the drone, then restarted the controller then changed batteries and restarted the Drone and waited to reconnect. Just to be safe...
This was for my Typhoon H.

The 520 add states:
Hot-swap payload options
All of our H520 cameras are hot swap-capable on our sUAS platforms, allowing for significant time-savings through not requiring a power-down/restart of the UAS system. This also allows for consistency of data-storage, rather than using multiple storage devices and locations. Whether it’s thermal imaging, long focal length, or wide focal-length data capture, memory cards may be swapped from device to device.

https://www.yuneec.com/en_GB/camera-drones/h520/overview.html

but I don't know if this applies to batteries

Last edited:
Tony....I always landed, shut off the drone, then restarted the controller then changed batteries and restarted the Drone and waited to reconnect. Just to be safe...
This was for my Typhoon H.
I think that would interfere with the Datapilot current mission. The method suggested by the OP sounds correct.

I thought I saw somewhere that the H520 automatically comes back for a new battery when it knows there is a multi-battery flight plan .. no?

Mine doesn't do that. It just starts beeping when it gets to the preset alarm notice (I set mine at 15%). I've read it's supposed to come back automatically but it doesn't do that

The correct procedure, which a colleague finds difficult to discover, is explained now on page 86 of the latest version of the manual.

BATTERY CHANGES DURING MISSION
If a battery change is required during a planned mission, the H520 will automatically execute a RTL and land. Once the H520 has landed, remove the depleted battery and replace with a charged battery. Wait
for the H520 to establish a connection with the ST16S and GPS lock.
Once both signals have been locked, a ‘Resume Mission’ slider will appear on the bottom of the Fly view. Slide the arrow to confirm resuming the mission. Ensure the launch area is clear of personnel, equipment and obstacles, prior to sliding the ‘Resume Mission’ slider.

Mine doesn't do that. It just starts beeping when it gets to the preset alarm notice (I set mine at 15%). I've read it's supposed to come back automatically but it doesn't do that
So how do you do it (change battery).
And is it successful

I usually create different flight plans that have slight overlap (the data pilot flight planner will tell you how much battery you will use). When I do one overall large multi battery plan, the bird does not come back on it's own as it's supposed to. So when it gets down to 10% power, I bring it back to home manually and change the battery. BUT the "resume mission" does not always come up on the ST16, no matter how long I wait.
Frankly I've had much better luck using the Pix4D capture for android. It flawlessly resumes flight plans after battery changes. But you can't plan missions on the desktop with Pix4D.

After the latest update ( 1.8.0 - 1.6.18 ), H520 do not return to landing point to change battery, what a suprise when I heard "low Battery alert", it's ok it will return..."low battery alert 20%" .. well it might return home... "low battery alert 15%" **** I must take control and manual landing....

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Mike Irish
Till the lastest update, H520 do not return to landing point to change battery, what a suprise when I heard "low Battery alert", it's ok it will return..."low battery alert 20%" .. well it might return home... "low battery alert 15%" **** I must take control and manual landing....
Not a good recommendation for a €2,500 supposedly professional set up? Why hasn't this been fixed?
Cheers.
Grumpy old Mike

Till the lastest update, H520 do not return to landing point to change battery, what a suprise when I heard "low Battery alert", it's ok it will return..."low battery alert 20%" .. well it might return home... "low battery alert 15%" **** I must take control and manual landing....

@digicrea, are you implying the multi-battery flight function works now, after the latest update?

If so, mind posting what version numbers you are referring to as being the latest?

Thanks!

Jeff

Reactions: Mike Irish
@digicrea, are you implying the multi-battery flight function works now, after the latest update?

If so, mind posting what version numbers you are referring to as being the latest?

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, NO it was working before the new update, now it's not working anymore and when the drone is far away, it's a real "pain in the ***". you have to pause the mission, click the RTL button (taking 1 minute before RTH, or pause the mission and taking the manual control to RTH and landing faster.

Latest version : 1.8.0 - 1.6.18

Reactions: arruntus
Hi Jeff, NO it was working before the new update, now it's not working anymore and when the drone is far away, it's a real "pain in the ***". you have to pause the mission, click the RTL button (taking 1 minute before RTH, or pause the mission and taking the manual control to RTH and landing faster.

Latest version : 1.8.0 - 1.6.18

Thank you for the clarification. You may want to go back and edit your post (number 12) to state “after the update of ...” to more clearly indicate what was once working is no longer.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace