Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My ###### moment of terror

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
So, I'm showing off my new (used) Q and piloting skills yesterday to my older brother, who was in town overnight. My two boys and a friend were there too. I had really been hyping the Q in texts/pics since I got it. This was my moment to shine, perhaps with a subliminal smack of sibling rivalry.

I launch from the driveway. He's in awe of the Q's size and ease of the takeoff. I'm hovering at 30 ft confidently showing him the video feed and explaining the controller. I don't know jack, but to him I'm Tom Cruz in Top Gun.

"Now watch this," I say and hit full throttle up and forward in rabbit mode. I could hear his awe.

But within seconds, a proverbial piss was running down my leg. Something dropped from the drone and was about to kiss the concrete. I realize it's the freaking camera. In the 3 seconds before it crashed, time froze. The moment became forever. It felt like I was living an entire tortured lifetime. Like a nutcase, I start internally soothing and abusing myself like Smigel staring at Frodo and the ring. "What did I do? You didn't secure the gimbal, idiot. At least it will still fly! It's worthless now, moron. Should I buy a new camera?! Yea, dumbass, go pick the cash off our money tree. It was just a newbie mistake! They'll laugh at us forever, f---face."

The sound of the crash brought me back to reality. But it sounded like a bounce, not the smash and splinter sound I expected the fragile gimbal to make. And it did bounce -- many times. My 11-year-old bolts to pick it up. He runs back and shows me a perfectly intact gimbal protector. Not a crack, not a scratch. An orgasmic relief. The end.

Glad it was just the gimbal lock.

Ha! Did that same thing 2 yrs. ago in a quiet cemetery. It came twirling out of the sky from 100 . I knew right away what it was,and thought how stupid I was. As you did I also had a first "Quick" though" Shouldn't be flying in the cemetery' Peace KC.

lmao! Horrible experience I know but you are absolutely brilliant!! I am holding off my newest disaster but I have a feeling we are all thinking about you![emoji847]
So, I'm showing off my new (used) Q and piloting skills yesterday to my older brother, who was in town overnight. My two boys and a friend were there too. I had really been hyping the Q in texts/pics since I got it. This was my moment to shine, perhaps with a subliminal smack of sibling rivalry.

I launch from the driveway. He's in awe of the Q's size and ease of the takeoff. I'm hovering at 30 ft confidently showing him the video feed and explaining the controller. I don't know jack, but to him I'm Tom Cruz in Top Gun.

"Now watch this," I say and hit full throttle up and forward in rabbit mode. I could hear his awe.

But within seconds, a proverbial piss was running down my leg. Something dropped from the drone and was about to kiss the concrete. I realize it's the freaking camera. In the 3 seconds before it crashed, time froze. The moment became forever. It felt like I was living an entire tortured lifetime. Like a nutcase, I start internally soothing and abusing myself like Smigel staring at Frodo and the ring. "What did I do? You didn't secure the gimbal, idiot. At least it will still fly! It's worthless now, moron. Should I buy a new camera?! Yea, dumbass, go pick the cash off our money tree. It was just a newbie mistake! They'll laugh at us forever, f---face."

The sound of the crash brought me back to reality. But it sounded like a bounce, not the smash and splinter sound I expected the fragile gimbal to make. And it did bounce -- many times. My 11-year-old bolts to pick it up. He runs back and shows me a perfectly intact gimbal protector. Not a crack, not a scratch. An orgasmic relief. The end.

Paint the gimble lock red....
I've prevented the risk of leaving the lock on the camera adding a red ribbon with written "remove before flight".
It's fixed with an aluminum rivet.
That strip can be easily found on internet for few dollars, i got it for free at a model fair.
See pic ....
IMG_20210529_060726.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval