Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My thoughts on first flight

Reaction score
Some of my thoughts on the first flight with the H.

IT WAS GREAT!

I am a long time Phantom flyer so will make some comparisons trying not
to degrade either bird as they both have there good and bad.

Did all three alignments, compass, IMU, gimbal. All took the first time.

Everything went perfect, I tried most of the functions and they worked as expected.
It will take awhile to get use to the camera controls as they work way different that the Phantom.

The H is extremely stable in the air as was the smooth landing, a bit better than the Phantom.

Watching the monitor the video was quite jerky and noticeable delay even when the H
was very close. My Phantom was always smooth with no noticeable delay.
If I had to compare the cameras they are very close with the edge going to
the Phantom with better clarity/focus.

I was concerned the final video would show this jerkyness but it was perfect when watching
it on my computer.

As with the Phantom IMO 1920x1080 @ 60fps is the only video setting worth using.
If you want a smooth pan nothing else will do, 25fps just don't cut it.

The H is just plain fun to fly, noise level about same as Phantom.
The big black bird really sticks out where the Phantom gets lost in the clouds easy.

Tell me what you think!

A good take but I must also point out something I have not been able to work around yet and that is the jerky jerky way the bird moves when controlled manually. It's like there is a deadband on the controls and then the H MOVES. There does not appear to be a way to just ease into motion. It does not affect the video so it is probably not a big deal for most people but coming from an RC background it is a bit unsettling for me.
I tried to play with the stick settings but with no visible result.
I also noticed the jerkyness of the screen update but that really did not affect me as I rely on line of site so the screen is just a reference.

Congrats!

My Typhoon H arrives UPS today (Between 2 and 6pm) I Purchased from B&H as they have a 30 day return policy

Hoping this is wave 3. o_O / I fly RC Gas Giant Scale so I know what I am getting into

So I have read all 20 pages so far of the problems page... :confused: reminds me of trying to land my first plane without puking! :eek:

Am I missing anything

Charge Battery and controller
Push Battery hard so it is locked in place
Install SD card into ST-12 for telemetry in case of fault
Calibrate Compass
IMU/accelerometer calibration
GPS calibration.
Flip upside down and test gear
10 flights at safe altitude to work out bugs

Then First flight in large open space (have an AMA flying field)

Let me know what I am missing? (do not have a manual as of yet to read)

May the UPS man be early:)

The telemetry is stored internally and the SD card is only needed to pull it off. Still it would not hurt to put it in. Remember to turn the ST16 upside down when inserting as that micro SD card slot is not the best designed solution.

Flying in a big open space is a must for the first flight and the RC field is where I took mine to. It helped that there was a dozen envious club members to watch me fly the maiden :)

I did no firmware updates and did not calibrate a thing and still have not done so. She flies great out of the box or did for me anyways.

Have fun!

Congrats!

My Typhoon H arrives UPS today (Between 2 and 6pm) I Purchased from B&H as they have a 30 day return policy

Hoping this is wave 3. o_O / I fly RC Gas Giant Scale so I know what I am getting into

So I have read all 20 pages so far of the problems page... :confused: reminds me of trying to land my first plane without puking! :eek:

Am I missing anything

Calibrate Compass
GPS calibration.

It is easier to switch on the ST16 and connect to your computer with a USB lead. The drive then shows up as Android. Just go to file manager and copy the Telemetry folder. It works with Linux for the transfer even. You cannot run it on Linux OS of course. It needs windows for that.

It is easier to switch on the ST16 and connect to your computer with a USB lead. The drive then shows up as Android. Just go to file manager and copy the Telemetry folder. It works with Linux for the transfer even. You cannot run it on Linux OS of course. It needs windows for that.

I take it this will not work on a MAC

seems like the compass is the key to calibrate and GPS especially if your long lat are quite different from where they QCed it

What state are you in?
North of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania

Congrats!

Am I missing anything

Calibrate Compass
GPS calibration.

Actually you want that one SD card that comes with it in the camera if your going to take video.
Unless you have an extra then never mind. haha

......... the jerky jerky way the bird moves when controlled manually. It's like there is a deadband on the controls and then the H MOVES. There does not appear to be a way to just ease into motion.........
I found adjusting the Rabbit/Turtle wheel a little slower to help a little. I always ran it on full-rabbit, but have eased back some for smoother panning. It would be nice to have the settings in the Phantom to adjust yaw rates and such. Instead of a Rabbit/Turtle wheel lol!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech