Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My Typhoon H won’t land

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has experienced the issue I have with my TH. Most of the time very happy, but yesterday it did it again, 3rd time in about 50 flights:
When I put the left stick down for smooth landing, the H slows down by itself at about 30 ft (10 meters) , and won’t respond to command for going further down , it is just stopping there and hovering at the same altitude of 30ft while I am pulling the left stick fully down . It’s also twitching a little bit, nothing serious though, but not having usual behavior.

Then I have to push left stick for getting some altitude, there it responds and going up. Then I go down again, and after 4-5 attempts, it is finally going down to the ground.

Is there something to do with accelerometer ?

I have done firmware update, compass calibration, issue remains.

Would anyone have an idea of what this could be?

Thank you

opps! posted answer in wrong place. Sorry. Your problem is with the GPS module, or Barometric pressure sensor , or both. but most likely the Barometric pressure sensor. If it's faulty it will keep your typhoon from landing. Call customer service and get an RMA to return it,takes a week to get it back. ask them to check EVERYTHING! including the latest firmware so you'll be good to go when it come home. Cheers!!!!!!

Next question is - why so many issues with barometric sensor (this is my view also, faulty pressure sensor - faulty accelerometer will show up in other areas too)

Feedback as promised - replacement H tested and fine. Now watching altimeter closely and height shown does increase as quad gets warmer (sun, battery, motors), which causes altimeter indication to slowly creep upwards (not rapidly like faulty one). This is expected as hotter air is thinner and the altimeter will think it higher. But it went to a max of about 3m (10ft) differential and never negative, so it always thought it was HIGHER than what it was, so coming down no issue. Always landed fine. Still waiting for reason why previous one had problem

How serious is this problem? Example, I turn the H on flat level surface and get negative 5 to 9 foot reading. Calibrate accelerometer drone restarts and shows at zero ft. Take off for the planned flight but always when I return and landing its back to a negative number. I never have an issue landing but always seemed something isn't right. Again, should I be concerned with this?

Hi Deonjams,

Yes as the earth heats (density altitude will increase) which makes a copter require slightly more power to rise off ground due to as you say thinner air. This is why in a aircraft we must correct our altimeter setting before taking off, while in route, and before landing. People many times forget this will affect an onboard barometer just as it does on a real aircraft. Since the H is an open IMU there are no worries with clogged vent holes which allow the pressure to equalize. My other copters have enclosed IMU's and I have to check the vents ever so often.

Point, I think as the copter IMU become more and more accurate and complex we will see the copters react differently than the ones a few years back. The leaps forward in technology have there advantages and disadvantages. One day we may have adjustable barometers onboard along with other parameters we can change on the fly.

cheers

Batfire

Next question is - why so many issues with barometric sensor (this is my view also, faulty pressure sensor - faulty accelerometer will show up in other areas too)

I've had the same problem with mine after about 20 flights. Hovering at about 20 ft, it was very reluctant to land, taking about 30 secs to come down from that height. The telementry showed it to be at -4.5 ft when it eventually came down.
Yuneec UK replaced both the H and ST16 but the new one has a serious tbe problem. I've calibrated everything 4 times but the altimeter on the display creeps up to 25 ft plus when it's just sitting on the ground over about 2 mins.
Back to Yuneec UK next week.......

Hi Eightfooticeman,

That is an interesting idea, calibrating the acc. before takeoff and this allows altitude to reset. I would not see how unless it recalibrates everything, acc, baro, etc.... I might have to try that. Here is the question to your question, how does it do when you hit rth and let it land itself? Mine lands fine on Q but manually is only time I have issues landing when within a foot or so of the ground. It wants to just stop and hover in ground effect. I haven't flown my H yet, have a lot of copters and that's my newest one. Kind of waiting until we get cooler weather in NE. I am anxious to try out the skyview on the copter and see how it looks. I tried the skyview on my video simulators and was not impressed. No better than 20 years ago when I was building VR headsets for myself. Actually I was really disappointed no focus adjustment for eyes nothing, just stick them on your head. Maybe they will be better on the copter view. I really hope so or I wasted my money. I was going to get the Oculus Rift if they were compatible..... not sure yet. I really need to find a place I can try them before buying them in case they are same sad view as the skyview goggles. But to be fair I only have tried the skyviews on my laptop so........ maybe connected up to H will be totally different, I will see when I take the H out and get it calibrated and test fly it.

Cheers

Batfire

Hi Eightfooticeman,

That is an interesting idea, calibrating the acc. before takeoff and this allows altitude to reset. I would not see how unless it recalibrates everything, acc, baro, etc.... I might have to try that. Here is the question to your question, how does it do when you hit rth and let it land itself? Mine lands fine on Q but manually is only time I have issues landing when within a foot or so of the ground. It wants to just stop and hover in ground effect. I haven't flown my H yet, have a lot of copters and that's my newest one. Kind of waiting until we get cooler weather in NE. I am anxious to try out the skyview on the copter and see how it looks. I tried the skyview on my video simulators and was not impressed. No better than 20 years ago when I was building VR headsets for myself. Actually I was really disappointed no focus adjustment for eyes nothing, just stick them on your head. Maybe they will be better on the copter view. I really hope so or I wasted my money. I was going to get the Oculus Rift if they were compatible..... not sure yet. I really need to find a place I can try them before buying them in case they are same sad view as the skyview goggles. But to be fair I only have tried the skyviews on my laptop so........ maybe connected up to H will be totally different, I will see when I take the H out and get it calibrated and test fly it.

Cheers

Batfire
Interesting question. My RTH brings the H back to me but it doesn't land, it just hovers. This drone experience is new to me as this is the first I've owned. i'm guessing it should land when I use RTH? I've only tried this twice, both times it returned to my position and hovered at altitude.

hmm... you got me on that one. It should return home and land.

Have you downloaded the gui for the H and been online to check your copter. I am not sure if within the gui you can actually set it to land since personally I have never downloaded the Yuneec gui for either copter I own. I should sit down and do that when I get some time but here is the Yuneec site for the H and within this it talks about the gui. Yuneec Typhoon H Resource Guide
Maybe helpful maybe not other than that you would have to talk to one of the support team for Yuneec.

On my other non-Yuneec copters I do go in gui for them and can set all parameters including whether I want it to land on rth or hover overhead.

Cheers

Batfire

Interesting question. My RTH brings the H back to me but it doesn't land, it just hovers. This drone experience is new to me as this is the first I've owned. i'm guessing it should land when I use RTH? I've only tried this twice, both times it returned to my position and hovered at altitude.
That's not right. The same height issue as my replaced H. It should land (standard setup)

There is something we don't understand about the Yuneec design on altitude management. If the issue we are experiencing is intended (don't descend if at 0ft ie. ground level), how do you fly into canyons below ground level after take off (when it resets to 0)? Can you? If so, is there some other logic that is preventing the descent? We need an explanation from Yuneec

So another test revealed the replacement H sitting at -10ft (according to readout - actually sitting at +3ft for testing), and it went down and landed fine. So the assumption of negative height readings preventing it from descending is wrong. It's a combination of factors - to be determined!

As can be expected in a lower quality barometer or altimeter, and there is no temperature compensation, there will be a wide range of inaccuracy. The Tyhoon H altimeter seems quite inaccurate, but probably good enough for this purpose - have seen variances of 15ft from actual on the replacement H but it changes slowly- still to check my other (H1). My replaced H went as far as +/- 30ft, but height indication was changing rapidly even when standing still. Perhaps that is what caused the H not to descend - the rate of change detected even though it was standing still. Speculation...

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has experienced the issue I have with my TH. Most of the time very happy, but yesterday it did it again, 3rd time in about 50 flights:
When I put the left stick down for smooth landing, the H slows down by itself at about 30 ft (10 meters) , and won’t respond to command for going further down , it is just stopping there and hovering at the same altitude of 30ft while I am pulling the left stick fully down . It’s also twitching a little bit, nothing serious though, but not having usual behavior.

Then I have to push left stick for getting some altitude, there it responds and going up. Then I go down again, and after 4-5 attempts, it is finally going down to the ground.

Thank you

Yeah, I had that problem for the first time yesterday. Had 2 good flights, but on the third it didn't want to land. It was hopping around on the ground until it tipped and broke a prop. Camera mount also came loose after it hit. No real damage other than the prop. I tried cutting the motors when it was a couple feet up but they wouldn't shut down. Looking at the telemetry data showed altitude before takeoff at -0.05, but it was 1.07 when I finally got it on the ground. I was holding the stick down both in turtle and rabbit mode, and at various positions in between.

Also have noticed a couple unrelated glitches with the gimbal while sitting on the ground. It will just sit there and vibrate for a few seconds, then it's ok. Only happened twice.

Does anyone know what all the telemetry names mean? Most are obvious, but there are some, like motor status, fix type, imu_status, etc. that I have no reference for.

Hi all,

Thank you
Hi, it sounds like something I experienced, I tried some functions like CCC and etc, but when I tried to land it (Angle mode), it stopped about 10 feet above groundlevel, and it did not land. I tried again after switching some times between Smart mode, angle mode and RTH, same result. But then I just kept the stick down, and it landed VEEEERY slow, think the 3 meters took about 1 minute :)

Same issue remains on my H, it still has this strange behaviour every now and then, and the firmware updates do not resolve it.
But I decided not to send my H to Yuneec Germany for repair, as I would miss my H too much, considering that some people have had to wait several weeks(months?) before getting their H back from Yuneec German (bad) CS, and that most of the time their issue is not even fixed when the H is returned to its owner.
In the meantime, I perform an accelerometer calibration before each flight , and I'd say it helps my H to stay under control for the time being...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval