Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Antennas for Typhoon H?

Reaction score
So if you haven't seen this video yet, it's of Lou Ming (only discovered him because of his H videos) saying he's going to test out different antennas to see which one gets better video feed distance.
Now I don't know the first thing about this stuff so I guess I'm asking you guys, is this a simple plug and play type of antenna? Because that would be awesome.
He said this after the test - "Immersion Left Hand Mini Patch Won 2.75km!"
which equals almost 2 miles!! If this is true and it's easy.. I'll be all over this

You should stay within line of sight,to many people ignoring current rules will ruin a good thing.use it for better signal quality,better video.

Reactions: Dezzzy.D
Thanks Dad....

lol Jk, I always have it in line of sight and fly Very responsible. The thing is, on my Q500 4K I actually lost video feed while still being able to see the drone. Mainly because I shoot on Lakes/Ponds and the Ocean and there is nothing to obstruct my view of it. Now.... back to the original question, does anyone have any knowledge on this topic?

So we see in his second video that he was able to get a flight distance of 1.8 Km using theSpiroNET 5.8GHz circular polarized antenna. But as he noted in his first video, he was able to almost double this distance with the Immersion antenna.

Interesting how he kept saying humidity was a factor in signal quality....I'd get a better antenna if it meant my connection was more solid.

Seems he is focused on the weather and not the gear --- Atmospheric conditions always play a part and one never knows the RF floor in the area --- In NYC, it's a mess!!

Anyhow, like others, my goal isn't going to try to fly miles away --- I just want a rock solid video feed and control of my drone in all conditions. I'll leave the barometer and humidistat at home.

I've emailed a dealer and Itelite directly asking if their Typhoon H antenna is to market yet--- They have a listing on their order side but no details on the product page. I also want to see stats -- gain, directional/omni. Don't like marketing statements that say "3 times stock range" and just leave it at that.

So if you haven't seen this video yet, it's of Lou Ming (only discovered him because of his H videos) saying he's going to test out different antennas to see which one gets better video feed distance.
Now I don't know the first thing about this stuff so I guess I'm asking you guys, is this a simple plug and play type of antenna? Because that would be awesome.
He said this after the test - "Immersion Left Hand Mini Patch Won 2.75km!"
which equals almost 2 miles!! If this is true and it's easy.. I'll be all over this

I use a 5.8GHz diversity video receiver for my big hexa now with one clover leaf and one Immersion RC circular polarised Mini Patch. I'm not after ultimate range, but having this diversity set up gives me really good reception under different conditions.
Obviously the ST16 is only a single receiver unit for video so you have to make the choice of either one type of antenna or the other.

NYC... I don't know how Casey Neistat flys his Phantom around NYC. Sometime he takes off between buildings and shoots straight up and out which is crazy because NYC has tons of interference. I see no mods on his controller or Phantom as well. I fly a Phantom in my tiny suburb and I'm having issues 250 meters out! Which brings me back to the comment I made on RC Groups.... "Everyone's range will differ" no matter if we all do the same upgrade to the ST16 controller, because our environments are different & ever changing.

NYC... I don't know how Casey Neistat flys his Phantom around NYC. Sometime he takes off between buildings and shoots straight up and out which is crazy because NYC has tons of interference. I see no mods on his controller or Phantom as well. I fly a Phantom in my tiny suburb and I'm having issues 250 meters out! Which brings me back to the comment I made on RC Groups.... "Everyone's range will differ" no matter if we all do the same upgrade to the ST16 controller, because our environments are different & ever changing.

Just started watching Casey…. Seems pretty careless with his gear overall…Guess he has a pile of cameras and drones sitting around just waiting to replace what he throws around. I watched him throw Canon DSLRs around like they are kids toys. Anyhow…Interesting character who appears to fly his drone where ever and when ever he wants.

I've been around 2-way radios for years…. NYC breaks all the rules with radio traffic, interference and noise---- Even the GPS in my car hates it and the buildings reflect RF like crazy. I just work here and live 30 miles away and have a nice place to fly.

Just started watching Casey…. Seems pretty careless with his gear overall…Guess he has a pile of cameras and drones sitting around just waiting to replace what he throws around. I watched him throw Canon DSLRs around like they are kids toys. Anyhow…Interesting character who appears to fly his drone where ever and when ever he wants.

I've been around 2-way radios for years…. NYC breaks all the rules with radio traffic, interference and noise---- Even the GPS in my car hates it and the buildings reflect RF like crazy. I just work here and live 30 miles away and have a nice place to fly.
where from hal?? i'm outeast long island....

What was the manufacturer of the add on antenna was the best, saw Fat something? Fat Shark? anyone know!

Looks like he has it on this video.......correct me if I am wrong please. I think it is the right side.

Looks like he has it on this video.......correct me if I am wrong please. I think it is the right side.
You are correct.
You can actually mount it directly to the TX without the stalk, that way the Tx will still fit in the carry case without having to remove the antenna.

But, I thought he stated in the 1.8 m flight was the farthest? He showed his hand as a number one hi five? and he had the Fat Shark on his transmitter, sorry, I might be missing something? Thanks!

For those of you keeping score.... RF over water travels better/further --- So, your results may vary.

Are we getting two patch antennas or just one? Seems we want to increase video AND control.

Does the H use 5 GHZ for both video and control? I thought it was 2.4 and 5.8... Yuneec uses two different antennas on the ST16 -- Omni and SpiroNet.
No, you are correct, we would need both antenna moded, he was just going for distance, although his video did look great , just minor lagging?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval