Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New FAA Rule for ALL Drones. READ THIS

(FAA) posted a rule in the Federal Register requiring small drone owners to display the FAA-issued registration number on an outside surface of the aircraft. Owners and operators may no longer place or write registration numbers in an interior compartment.

The rule is effective on February 25. The markings must be in place for any flight after that date.

Reactions: BigAl07
I applied my FAA number, name & phone number before I ever took my first flight, so obviously I have no problem with this.

Reactions: BigAl07
I know that I am not the majority on this .
I am more than happy to keep my numbers in my battery compartment .
I now have no choice .
My tin foil hat tells me loud and clear that a smart criminal will not use his/her own registration numbers .
That smart person will walk by someone else's unit , take a pic with there cell pone and WaLaa! , numbers that will lead the authorities away from them .
Yes innocence can be proven , but we all know that the justice system is , well , let's say "strained" .
Freakn bad apples .
Don't get me wrong , not fretting over it , just felt better with those numbers out of site .
Minor inconvenience to be able to do what I love .
Any one know of cheap , cool looking , sticker packet ?:)

I view this as pretty much no big deal.

When the government decided we qualified to be classed as pilots and our flying devices qualified as aircraft it didn't take very long to figure out we will be getting subjected to many, if not all, the rules and regs that full scale pilots have to abide by. The only question was in how long it was going to be before implementation of those rules and regulations. Evidently implementation will be incremental.

Reactions: Phaedrus
It all started with the Pirker case. He was one of the first to start the bad PR for drone flying. His case resulted in the FAA and NTSB determination that models and drones are aircraft and not vehicles (like Part 103) or simply toys. From that point on the handwriting was on the wall.

Keep in mind laws have three main objectives:

1) Define what is legal
2) Proscribe the consequences of violating the law
3) Deterrence

So of course we know criminals do not follow laws, that's what makes them criminals!! o_O

Another way to look at it is this allows LEO, etc. to determine at a glance if you are at least leaning in the direction of a good guy, because they know that bad guys don't follow the law. So I look at this as a "Good Guy" ID :p
Well said!

PatR
I feel the same way .
I can also predict that as time passes , more cases of criminal acts may lead to stricter regulations .

I know that I am not the majority on this .
I am more than happy to keep my numbers in my battery compartment .

Any one know of cheap , cool looking , sticker packet ?:)

I have in past on smaller drones placed the ID in the battery well per allowed regs.

At the same time, I agree it's probably best to externally display. Plus, with current low cost label makers it very easy to make a label with minimal visibility, non-advertising, and basicly concealable without close inspection.

No reason to use a white background label.
Use the clear background label... and a white, black font or I've seen some grey, red, etc.

Even a relatively large font for scale of fuselage can blend in with clear background. A black font on orange surface, grey or white on black surface. Actually red on black blends nicely too.

If Font can be small... it can practically be undetectable unless physically near the drone to inspect.

Another method is engraving... more permanent but not visibly noticable. Serial numbers have been on firearms external frame but unless looking for them can't readily see them. Again, more permanent, so not a good choice if you sell & trade often.

Another option, an engraved tag... small black tag engraved. Or if good with airbrush, a stencil and airbrush paint.

External display doesn't have to equate to a obtrusive decal for Scale or sUAV crafts.

Dougcjohn
Thank you for the ideas . I will take the font size and color scheme to heart .
Small font will suffice two areas of concern .
1-The a fore mentioned ne'er do wells with bad intent .
2-Plain old cool factor .
Thanx

From a statement by the AMA:

“.....and allowed the registration marking to be placed in an enclosed compartment, law enforcement officials and FAA partners have expressed concerns about the safety risks a concealed explosive device could pose to first responders when opening a compartment to find a registration number.”

Yeah, because bad guys and whack jobs who would place explosives on an sUAS will register and mark their drones. Another law/rule that only affect the Law Abiding Citizen. It’s such a simple concept and foundational to the term “criminal”: Criminals Do Not Obey The Law!
Keep in mind laws have three main objectives:

1) Define what is legal
2) Proscribe the consequences of violating the law
3) Deterrence

So of course we know criminals do not follow laws, that's what makes them criminals!! o_O

Another way to look at it is this allows LEO, etc. to determine at a glance if you are at least leaning in the direction of a good guy, because they know that bad guys don't follow the law. So I look at this as a "Good Guy" ID :p

My 2 cents... If explosive threat is a primary justification, it’s weak at best. As expressed, it’ll touch the law abidding “good guy” who wouldn’t consider it in the first place.

On the twisted side of thought, If viewing as a bad guy... they too know the art of concealment & deceiving; why not mark it up big & bold... heck waste $5 and get a real number, registered to Sweet Sally Do-Right. Apply the big label, make it appear legal & innocently lost, if that’s what it takes to draw them in for the punch! If it’s fear of using as a IED, a label isn’t going to add any assurance... it’ll be armed via landing or shutdown, waiting for gyro to sense movement via picking up. Interesting idea, isn’t the US Military doing that now... landing & placing a small retail looking drone waiting for a preferred customer to aquire or disturb; flying claymores.

I’m all for the external ID, additional commercial license requirements, even submitting commercial logs to common Govt cloud storage for review if needed when incident occurs in area you worked.

But not justified with loose rational, it just minimizes the realities and intelligent buy-in. Do they even need justification, rules & laws are passed everyday without gaining public opinion.

Reactions: PatR and hcforde
I'm all for it and think it should have remained this way since day ONE.

Usually, it is those that have credentials prior to, or are early adopters that wish to limit and shut out access to others. This happens in a lot of arenas. Maybe everyone regardless of age, or size of the UAV be required to have insurance also. BTW, if i have a lot of acreage should I be required to register my UAV to fly on my own property? Would there be a minimum amount of acreage if that were the case? Seems like the more laws and regulations that are put in place the more that will follow, doesn't it?.

Maybe everyone regardless of age, or size of the UAV be required to have insurance also.

For recreational sUAS folks they can join the AMA and get insurance (liability).

BTW, if i have a lot of acreage should I be required to register my UAV to fly on my own property?

Where you fly is immaterial. If it weighs over 250 grams you must register.

Another option, an engraved tag... small black tag engraved. Or if good with airbrush, a stencil and airbrush paint.

Perhaps we should feel blessed for not being required to affix fire proof metal identification data plates...

Phaedrus,

Despite your faith in the AMA, I'd hate to be the one to test how well their insurance covers multirotor operators not operating at a field laid out in compliance with their safety guidelines and lacking clear flight line definition.

Phaedrus,

Despite your faith in the AMA, I'd hate to be the one to test how well their insurance covers multirotor operators not operating at a field laid out in compliance with their safety guidelines and lacking clear flight line definition.

My experience with, and knowledge of, the AMA insurance coverage has demonstrated that coverage is in no way contingent on flying at an AMA Chartered Club site. Small nomenclature item, AMA does not sanction, approve, or in any other manner participate in a chartered club filed. AMA Charters clubs, which may, or may not, have a club flying site.

In addition, while the AMA has suggested guidelines for field layouts no club is required to follow them nor is insurance coverage contingent upon the field set up. The main thing is to follow the AMA Safety Code.

Usually, it is those that have credentials prior to, or are early adopters that wish to limit and shut out access to others.

Credentials prior to? Yes I've labeled my aircraft with my name, phone #, and AMA# for decades. That's totally irrelevant to this conversation. The majority of people here are hobby/recreational flyers and I don't think there are any "Credentials" for such endeavors.

One of my passions is sharing the awesome experience of flying R/C aircraft and has been such for over 3 decades now so "shutting out others" is about 180deg from the truth.

BTW, if i have a lot of acreage should I be required to register my UAV to fly on my own property? Would there be a minimum amount of acreage if that were the case? Seems like the more laws and regulations that are put in place the more that will follow, doesn't it?.
Acerage is totally irrelevant. If you want to fly an aircraft that weights less than 250gr, unable to fly autonmously out of control for miles, and unable to self stabilize, then you should be able to do that without any regulation because if you fit into ALL OF THE ABOVE you post no danger to the NAS. Anything short of that then you follow the law of the land as to ensure the SAFETY of the NAS. That's how we've done it for decades. . . .

Reactions: AH-1G
For recreational sUAS folks they can join the AMA and get insurance (liability).

Where you fly is immaterial. If it weighs over 250 grams you must register.
Exactly, that is why it is governmental overreach!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval