Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New FAA Rule for ALL Drones. READ THIS

Credentials prior to? Yes I've labeled my aircraft with my name, phone #, and AMA# for decades. That's totally irrelevant to this conversation. The majority of people here are hobby/recreational flyers and I don't think there are any "Credentials" for such endeavors.

One of my passions is sharing the awesome experience of flying R/C aircraft and has been such for over 3 decades now so "shutting out others" is about 180deg from the truth.

Acerage is totally irrelevant. If you want to fly an aircraft that weights less than 250gr, unable to fly autonmously out of control for miles, and unable to self stabilize, then you should be able to do that without any regulation because if you fit into ALL OF THE ABOVE you post no danger to the NAS. Anything short of that then you follow the law of the land as to ensure the SAFETY of the NAS. That's how we've done it for decades. . . .

1. It is very relevant to the conversation.
2. The policies you support raises the barrier to entry
3. Please tell me why it is so important for the government to have me register a drone I wish to use for crops or for examining the perimeter of my property? Is that regulation going to benefit society as a whole...........NO!!! The regulations like this are basically illegal. Maybe you have forgotten why there was a Boston Tea Party situation. The exact same thing is occurring all over again isn't it? Please tell me how high a hex or octocopter is going to fly to survey land or irrigate crops?

You seem to think that the laws are the holy grail. If it is a law then it must be good

Barriers need to be raised so it doesn't get out of hand.
Unfortunately FAA needs to step in because we have dipwads flying drones and don't give a D..m about rules and regulations.

I guess you didn't do well in History eh?
Boston Tea Party Facts.
The Boston Tea Party took place on December 16th, 1773. It was a protest by the American Colonists against the British in regards to the tea taxes that had been imposed on them. This protest involved throwing chests of tea from three British trade ships into the Boston Harbor.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
3. Please tell me why it is so important for the government to have me register a drone I wish to use for crops or for examining the perimeter of my property? Is that regulation going to benefit society as a whole...........NO!!! The regulations like this are basically illegal. Maybe you have forgotten why there was a Boston Tea Party situation. The exact same thing is occurring all over again isn't it? Please tell me how high a hex or octocopter is going to fly to survey land or irrigate crops?

You seem to think that the laws are the holy grail. If it is a law then it must be good

You may own the land and the structures on it and possibly the minerals, oil, etc. underneath the surface. Yet in the USA you DO NOT own the airspace above it nor do you have the right to exercise control over that airspace. That remains in the hands of the federal comptroller with that responsibility the FAA.

If you fly without following their rules and guidelines and get caught doing so, from on your own property or that of others, they can prosecute you under the laws set forth by the federal government.

You could protest by sending your UAS’s to your Senators and Congressmen. I’m sure it would represent the crates of tea that stained Boston Harbor 240+ years ago. Somehow I find registering as a hobbyist remote pilot for $5 for three years on an unlimited number of UAS’s to be a relatively small thing. In the realm of things spying on every email, phone call and text I make to be a lot more disturbing.

Last edited:
Somehow I find registering as a hobbyist remote pilot for $5 for three years on an unlimited number of UAS’s to be a relatively small thing. In the realm of things spying on every email, phone call and text I make to be a lot more disturbing.

Agreed. It beats having to pay $5/3 years for EACH and EVERY one of your aircraft under Part 107!!
The Horror, the Horror :eek:

Exactly, that is why it is governmental overreach!!!

LOL! Please!! Do you register your vehicles that you drive on the GOVERNMENT highways? Do they have a License Plate with those "Registration" numbers on them?

Only in your narrow FOV.

If applying registration #'s to the outside of your aircraft and paying $5 is a barrier to you then you need to opt for another hobby.
If your MultiRotor CAN fly autonomously then it COULD during a failure situation (Fly Away/RTH) interfere with other air traffic. That's true from your remote farm land, from the center of town or from your local airport. Makes no matter WHERE you take off you're flying in the National Airspace System and that is regulated for SAFETY!!

If you're going to be a Big Boy and play in the National Airspace System then you need to step up your game and follow the same rules the rest of us fly by. US Air Safety has a stellar record if you look at the number of flights compared to crashes, This is because we are ALL playing from the same sheet of music no matter if we are flying from Joe-Bob's farm or from Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport. We can anticipate the actions of others around us because the same rules/laws/regulations are in use across the land.
I've been around the block a few times and I happen to understand what is involved in maintaining SAFETY in the NAS.

You can stand in the corner stomping your feet all you want but the fact remains this is the law and you are required to follow it if you wish to have your sUAS leave Terra Firma REGARDLESS who owns the property under it.

.......This is because we are ALL playing from the same sheet of music no matter if we are flying from Joe-Bob's farm or from Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport. We can anticipate the actions of others around us because the same rules/laws/regulations are in use across the land............

As is with driving a car, driving a truck, driving a train, and the Laws of Seamanship on the High Seas.

Flying is a privilege, not a right.

I was surprised to see the new drone ID marking rule is already part of 107 currency testing. The test was taken today, 2/21 but the rule does not become effective until 2/25/19.

I was surprised to see the new drone ID marking rule is already part of 107 currency testing. The test was taken today, 2/21 but the rule does not become effective until 2/25/19.

I haven’t checked but I thought P107 has always been external markings.

May well have been and I failed to differentiate between 107 and recreational. My stuff would have been in compliance anyway.

May well have been and I failed to differentiate between 107 and recreational. My stuff would have been in compliance anyway.

Same here and a smart call IMHO.

I just went from our 333 days and placed the FAA#/N# as large as possible on 2 sides of each aircraft.

12 inch lol naaaah,more like a 12 foot airplane banner,i think there are trying to eliminate our r.c.hobby to make way for the fudd x upps ect delivery services remember money talks bull walks,and remember the faa had nothing more to do with hobbiests till these damm drons started spying on people,you cannot be big brother,people have too much to hide dont need the commons spying on them,also so much for the ama using our money to protect our flying rights instead of stuffing there guts with our money

It's 5 buck for all of the drones you own and for three years. Very cheap if you ask me.
for now till they see how many people register then WHAMMY dmv reg price per drone or better yet faa prices per drone,people im not negative on my hobby but just from past experience of being alive seen what has taken place,also if u cant fly drones tethered,u better put faa numbers on your kite,yepp taxin us and regulatin us to deth lol it true

What’s the minimum font size do you guys have? Mine are small, because my labeler can only print certain sizes.

for now till they see how many people register then WHAMMY dmv reg price per drone or better yet faa prices per drone,people im not negative on my hobby but just from past experience of being alive seen what has taken place,also if u cant fly drones tethered,u better put faa numbers on your kite,yepp taxin us and regulatin us to deth lol it true

My .02$

Back in the day, when it was just RC modelers flying unmanned aerial vehicles, the FAA pushed responsibility for those that flew, off to the AMA. And indeed to fly RC, you had to join a club; membership for which, required a yearly paid subscription - to the AMA as well as the club itself. For a typical year flying a model airplane since the late 70's modelers have paid between 75.00 upwards of 300 dollars per year or more for the luxury of being able to fly a model airplane - and this was before you had anything to even fly! Again - thats per year.

For the most part, modelers who flew fixed and rotary winged model aircraft were responsible, trained pilots. Those that advanced through the hobby could have large investments of time and money and for the most part were highly responsible. Those that were careless and ill prepared quickly found the cost of continuation in RC would drain them financially and mentally. They moved on to easier hobbies.

Flash forward to the modern 'Drone' - WHAMO' ;) Now, anyone can fly; no experience, no knowledge, no nothing - no problem, have at it. So yeah, enough people have proven that; left to their own devices, they will do stuff that puts others lives and property in jeopardy. So now, the FAA, is requiring pilots have registration numbers. And yeah, its not gonna stop there. How anyone sees this as anything other than how things have always been in society is not really looking at the big picture.

Can you imagine what is was like for people that grew up during the industrial revolution? There was a time when; if you owned one of those freaky new inventions we now know as a car; if a passing horse was spooked, the driver would have to stop, conceal, or remove the car from the horses view, in order to let the horse pass un-spooked! Can you image how the early drivers of cars felt?

Sorry, but my view is that what you are seeing is simply a new technology being integrated into our society. It may not be pleasant for all but; this is happening and we either get on board or, we don't and see where that takes us. Considering that I have to pay 150.00 to take a re current FAA test, buy insurance that costs more than insuring one of my motorcycles for a year and various other fees - the 5 bucks for registration is a drop in the bucket.

My .02$

Back in the day, when it was just RC modelers flying unmanned aerial vehicles, the FAA pushed responsibility for those that flew, off to the AMA. And indeed to fly RC, you had to join a club; membership for which, required a yearly paid subscription - to the AMA as well as the club itself. For a typical year flying a model airplane since the late 70's modelers have paid between 75.00 upwards of 300 dollars per year or more for the luxury of being able to fly a model airplane - and this was before you had anything to even fly! Again - thats per year.

For the most part, modelers who flew fixed and rotary winged model aircraft were responsible, trained pilots. Those that advanced through the hobby could have large investments of time and money and for the most part were highly responsible. Those that were careless and ill prepared quickly found the cost of continuation in RC would drain them financially and mentally. They moved on to easier hobbies.

Flash forward to the modern 'Drone' - WHAMO' ;) Now, anyone can fly; no experience, no knowledge, no nothing - no problem, have at it. So yeah, enough people have proven that; left to their own devices, they will do stuff that puts others lives and property in jeopardy. So now, the FAA, is requiring pilots have registration numbers. And yeah, its not gonna stop there. How anyone sees this as anything other than how things have always been in society is not really looking at the big picture.

Can you imagine what is was like for people that grew up during the industrial revolution? There was a time when; if you owned one of those freaky new inventions we now know as a car; if a passing horse was spooked, the driver would have to stop, conceal, or remove the car from the horses view, in order to let the horse pass un-spooked! Can you image how the early drivers of cars felt?

Sorry, but my view is that what you are seeing is simply a new technology being integrated into our society. It may not be pleasant for all but; this is happening and we either get on board or, we don't and see where that takes us. Considering that I have to pay 150.00 to take a re current FAA test, buy insurance that costs more than insuring one of my motorcycles for a year and various other fees - the 5 bucks for registration is a drop in the bucket.

Very well said.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
FWIW, for most of my time in the hobby AMA dues was around $30 to $48. 3 years ago it jumped to $75 due in large part to the costs of trying to play nice with the FAA. Right now I spend $175 a year for AMA & my local club. Still a good deal overall especially with the insurance.

I’ll go to my grave believing that AMA dropped the ball early on in not differentiating “drones” from model airplanes/helis I have nothing against drones ( clearly, but the MR aerial photography hobby is not the same hobby as flying model airplanes.

But that ship has sailed. We are all one great big lump of the same thing to Congress and the FAA.

It starts as $5. In a couple years, it's 10. Couple years after that, it's 15. Then 20. Then 25. And so on. There should have been nationwide noncompliance, but rolling over and letting them get away with this nonsense is just going to encourage them to continue it.

Barriers need to be raised so it doesn't get out of hand.
Unfortunately FAA needs to step in because we have dipwads flying drones and don't give a D..m about rules and regulations.

Said dipwads don't care about the registration. It doesn't affect them at all. They're going to continue to break all the rules and regulations no matter how much you pay the FAA to fly yours.

Evidence indicates that is not a real concern. FAA charges manned aircraft, from a Cessna 150 to an Airbus 380 $5 for 3 years registration, and have for a long time. Wouldn't it seem more reasonable that if the FAA decided to use it as a money maker they might go after the bigger fish first?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval