Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New flier and owner, first impressions and a few questions.....

Reaction score
Hi all.

Everyone here has been really great and I totally dig the new bird. It is really easy to fly and inspires confidence almost immediately. I've got the Pro and just trying to figure it all out. Updated the firmware as soon as I got it out of the box.

2 flights so far and this thing is a blast.

I have a few q's that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

1. I noticed that when I approached the bird while in flight, it never backed away as I've seen in some of the videos. I did it in Angle mode with OAS on and off and it never backed away, just gave me chirps from the ST16 when OAS was on. I did switch it to smart mode and it went away from me but I never could get it to approach me in that bubble.

2. I'm flying without the camera until I get really comfortable with piloting it. Are the auto modes (orbit/follow me/etc) available w/o the camera attached? Does it know where the ST16/Wand is in relation to the bird because of GPS only or does it need optical to work or both? I didn't attempt this on either flight.

3. Is there a way to safely transport the bird and the camera separated in the backpack or is there a cover available for the camera to cover the contacts? The DJI/Zenmuse cameras have a small box and they can be transported safely, independently of each other.

4. the USB port on the underside of the bird is for? Is it possible to DL the camera files in the field from this port to my laptop or do I always have to pull off the camera/SD card or connect directly via USB micro to the camera itself? Thinking the gimbal is an item that will get a lot of use and dont want to wear out the camera mount/gimbal by always removing/reinstalling. Ideally, I'd like to leave it attached always and not have to muck with it, but plan to keep it separate at first.

5. Where can I get a pouch for my Wand? Totally janky that this came with all the bells and whistles and none of the extras. I know, extra battery is awesome and the backpack, but no lanyard? for either radio and no pouch. C'mon man.

6. Bought these and love them, plan on logging every flight.

https://www.amazon.com/Field-Notes-...=1473776465&sr=8-1&keywords=field+notes+drone

Really useful and laid out very nice. Already have my Polder stopwatch on order as well.

Trying to lay my flight habits out correctly from the start. Really glad there is a lot of good resources and information here.

I'm sure there is more, and I'll add to this when I think about it.

Cheers!
Mike

I'd also love to know where to get the pouch for the wizard. Including that and not the pouch/lanyard is so weird.

Pouch and neck strap only came with the first release of the H with out realsense.
The OBS obstacle avoidance has a fairly small field of view up and down, Unless you are level with the sensor it may not see you. I have tried it with a piece of cardboard and it does work well in both Angle and Smart modes.
As far as the camera, keep the gimbal lock on when ever not in use, the contacts should be fine if removed, or use a piece of paper and electrical tape to cover them if it is a big concern to you.
The USB port on the aircraft is to connect to your computer and use the GUI.
http://download.yuneec.com/Typhoon_H/GUI/TyphoonHGUISetup_v1.1.8.zip
Contact some of the dealers, they may have the neck strap and Wizard pouch in stock.
The Wizard has an internal GPS, this is how the H knows where the wizard is in relation to itself.
Manual is here: http://download.yuneec.com/manuals/manual/wizard/Typhoon-Wizard-User-Manual-0929.pdf

When you feel more proficient, turn the GPS off, the H will really move then. But be careful with GPS off the H will drift in the wind.

Also, when I'm flying without the camera, is it possible to get large telemetry dials/info on the screen? I've seen this on the ST24 when in used in Team Mode? or is this available on the ST24 only?
st24-yuneec-ground-station.jpg

Reactions: Brian Mackey
Pouch and neck strap only came with the first release of the H with out realsense.
The OBS obstacle avoidance has a fairly small field of view up and down, Unless you are level with the sensor it may not see you. I have tried it with a piece of cardboard and it does work well in both Angle and Smart modes.
As far as the camera, keep the gimbal lock on when ever not in use, the contacts should be fine if removed, or use a piece of paper and electrical tape to cover them if it is a big concern to you.
The USB port on the aircraft is to connect to your computer and use the GUI.
http://download.yuneec.com/Typhoon_H/GUI/TyphoonHGUISetup_v1.1.8.zip
Contact some of the dealers, they may have the neck strap and Wizard pouch in stock.
The Wizard has an internal GPS, this is how the H knows where the wizard is in relation to itself.
Manual is here: http://download.yuneec.com/manuals/manual/wizard/Typhoon-Wizard-User-Manual-0929.pdf

When you feel more proficient, turn the GPS off, the H will really move then. But be careful with GPS off the H will drift in the wind.

Also the landing gear has to be UP for OBS to work

Reactions: stevemitchell
Hi all.

Everyone here has been really great and I totally dig the new bird. It is really easy to fly and inspires confidence almost immediately. I've got the Pro and just trying to figure it all out. Updated the firmware as soon as I got it out of the box.

2 flights so far and this thing is a blast.

I have a few q's that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

1. I noticed that when I approached the bird while in flight, it never backed away as I've seen in some of the videos. I did it in Angle mode with OAS on and off and it never backed away, just gave me chirps from the ST16 when OAS was on. I did switch it to smart mode and it went away from me but I never could get it to approach me in that bubble.

2. I'm flying without the camera until I get really comfortable with piloting it. Are the auto modes (orbit/follow me/etc) available w/o the camera attached? Does it know where the ST16/Wand is in relation to the bird because of GPS only or does it need optical to work or both? I didn't attempt this on either flight.

3. Is there a way to safely transport the bird and the camera separated in the backpack or is there a cover available for the camera to cover the contacts? The DJI/Zenmuse cameras have a small box and they can be transported safely, independently of each other.

4. the USB port on the underside of the bird is for? Is it possible to DL the camera files in the field from this port to my laptop or do I always have to pull off the camera/SD card or connect directly via USB micro to the camera itself? Thinking the gimbal is an item that will get a lot of use and dont want to wear out the camera mount/gimbal by always removing/reinstalling. Ideally, I'd like to leave it attached always and not have to muck with it, but plan to keep it separate at first.

5. Where can I get a pouch for my Wand? Totally janky that this came with all the bells and whistles and none of the extras. I know, extra battery is awesome and the backpack, but no lanyard? for either radio and no pouch. C'mon man.

6. Bought these and love them, plan on logging every flight.

https://www.amazon.com/Field-Notes-...=1473776465&sr=8-1&keywords=field+notes+drone

Really useful and laid out very nice. Already have my Polder stopwatch on order as well.

Trying to lay my flight habits out correctly from the start. Really glad there is a lot of good resources and information here.

I'm sure there is more, and I'll add to this when I think about it.

Cheers!
Mike

Grap this Downloads - Yuneec It will explain a lot The usb is for the GUI software --

Reactions: photomike72
Yes, and stopped before I flew into buildings, showing the 'radar' display that the new firmware does.

Legs up/down have no effect on mine, but i do have to be off the ground to activate RS. The red arc used to indicate IPS reading, now switched to RS distance to obstacle, although I like to go by the pinging. Starting to land the arc seems to switch back to height, not entirely sure yet. Tuna, keep up the good work.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
Legs up/down have no effect on mine, but i do have to be off the ground to activate RS. The red arc used to indicate IPS reading, now switched to RS distance to obstacle, although I like to go by the pinging. Starting to land the arc seems to switch back to height, not entirely sure yet. Tuna, keep up the good work.
would that be the IPS view?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval