Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New lens CGO3+

Okay, so I think I have found something, and maybe someone has had this as well.

The new lens was a nice try, but took it out since I did not get it how I wanted it..
Reverted back to stock, and did some test shooting in my garden, holding the drone up instead of flying.

What I found was that the image was a lot better holding the drone, then flying the drone.
Afer Idid some testing and adjusting in the garden I took it out for a flight, and the quality of the pictures and video in flight is so much different from the one I took in the garden.

I have attached 2 files, one is the image in the garden. This is a JPEG that is shot in Natural setting with sharpness set to 5. the image has only been coloured a little bit.
The houses in the background are about 80-90 meters from me, and are still okay when it comes to detail
The other picture is made with the same settings, but then in flight and was a DNG file that has been exported as PNG to keep most of the details (less compression)
The trees are only about 10-15m away, and look horrible!

I can see lot of difference in sharpness, and I think it might be vibration in the gimbal or somewhere else that is causing this.

I use the histogram to take pictures, and only go by that, no auto settings, but ISO 100 and the shutter is selected based on the information from the histogram.

Attachments

• YUN00073.jpg
    YUN00073.jpg
    984.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Toren1.png
    Toren1.png
    15.7 MB · Views: 17
Okay, so I think I have found something, and maybe someone has had this as well.

The new lens was a nice try, but took it out since I did not get it how I wanted it..
Reverted back to stock, and did some test shooting in my garden, holding the drone up instead of flying.

What I found was that the image was a lot better holding the drone, then flying the drone.
Afer Idid some testing and adjusting in the garden I took it out for a flight, and the quality of the pictures and video in flight is so much different from the one I took in the garden.

I have attached 2 files, one is the image in the garden. This is a JPEG that is shot in Natural setting with sharpness set to 5. the image has only been coloured a little bit.
The houses in the background are about 80-90 meters from me, and are still okay when it comes to detail
The other picture is made with the same settings, but then in flight and was a DNG file that has been exported as PNG to keep most of the details (less compression)
The trees are only about 10-15m away, and look horrible!

I can see lot of difference in sharpness, and I think it might be vibration in the gimbal or somewhere else that is causing this.

I use the histogram to take pictures, and only go by that, no auto settings, but ISO 100 and the shutter is selected based on the information from the histogram.
Viewing on a 4K TV
YUN00073 still looks a bit soft to me and Toren1 I agree looks cr.ap

If you were holding the aircraft in your hands while you took YUN00073 then gimbal vibrations aren't your issue. Try resetting sharpness to 8 and see if it improves it. You can always bring it back down a touch if the image becomes too hard.

Reactions: Gelderdrone
Viewing on a 4K TV
YUN00073 still looks a bit soft to me and Toren1 I agree looks cr.ap

If you were holding the aircraft in your hands while you took YUN00073 then gimbal vibrations aren't your issue. Try resetting sharpness to 8 and see if it improves it. You can always bring it back down a touch if the image becomes too hard.

Thank you so much for your helpful answers!
It seems that I am finally getting somewhere :)

Will try sharpness 8 as soon as I have finished work, the drone is in the boot of the car :)

Reactions: FlushVision
Thank you so much for your helpful answers!
It seems that I am finally getting somewhere :)

Will try sharpness 8 as soon as I have finished work, the drone is in the boot of the car :)
Hope it's not too hot where you are. If the sun is out and shining down on your car your batteries could get a bit stressed in the heat.

Hope it's not too hot where you are. If the sun is out and shining down on your car your batteries could get a bit stressed in the heat.

No, they'll be fine, the car is in the shadow anyway.. that will be different this wednesday and thursday.. 38 degrees are forcasted for Holland then..

Where are you setting the sharpness at? First time I've heard of this.

Reactions: AH-1G
You can do that when everything is powered on..
Go to PAD and open the internet browser.

You can check the current setting by typing this in the addressbar: http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=GET_SHARPNESS
You can change it by typing this in the addressbar: http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=8 (or any value you want between 0 and 10, default is either 5, or 6)
I personally think 5 is a bit on the low side. I see 6 as a minimum. That's why I suggested 8 to @Gelderdrone and dial it down if the images become too hard.

No, they'll be fine, the car is in the shadow anyway.. that will be different this wednesday and thursday.. 38 degrees are forcasted for Holland then..
Set to be in the low 30's tomorrow here in England. Current temp here in East Lancashire is 24C

I personally think 5 is a bit on the low side. I see 6 as a minimum. That's why I suggested 8 to @Gelderdrone and dial it down if the images become too hard.

I have now tried all I could to make it look okay-ish.. but the CGO3+ is just not up to spec..
No matter how much I focus, or try to adjust whatever is adjustable, the image just has too much noise, artifacts and unsharpness to it.

I like the Typhoon H a lot, but the camera, I starting to hate it...

So, it'll be for sale tonight, not spending anymore time, let alone money on it.. back to my trustworthy Mavic.

Oh Dear! The dark side...
Here's 2 things to consider: First, if the camera is moving, as in flight, there will likely be some motion blur in your still image unless the shutter speed is very high. Second, trees are one of the hardest things for these cameras to resolve sharply. There is SO much detail (leaves, branches, etc.) that it really taxes the image sensor. As an extreme example, just watch a GoPro video taken by a bicycle rider through a forest. Buildings are much easier to capture clearly due to the simplicity of the geometry. Third, it's easy to add sharpness in post but impossible to reduce it. I have set both of my CGO3+ cameras to sharpness of 5 and am very happy with that. Oops, that was 3 things. Oh well.
BTW, I didn't think Toren1.png looked that bad on my 4k monitor, considering the subject. Both images were a bit soft in the distance.

Oh Dear! The dark side...
Here's 2 things to consider: First, if the camera is moving, as in flight, there will likely be some motion blur in your still image unless the shutter speed is very high. Second, trees are one of the hardest things for these cameras to resolve sharply. There is SO much detail (leaves, branches, etc.) that it really taxes the image sensor. As an extreme example, just watch a GoPro video taken by a bicycle rider through a forest. Buildings are much easier to capture clearly due to the simplicity of the geometry. Third, it's easy to add sharpness in post but impossible to reduce it. I have set both of my CGO3+ cameras to sharpness of 5 and am very happy with that. Oops, that was 3 things. Oh well.
BTW, I didn't think Toren1.png looked that bad on my 4k monitor, considering the subject. Both images were a bit soft in the distance.

No, it has nothing to do with a dark side...
As a professional drone pilot I just wanted to try something else next to the Mavic that I have been flying for the past 2 years.
The Mavic has done well over 1100KM's and I thought it was time to have something to replace it when things went bad.

But, as good as it looks, and as good as it flies, the camera just doesn't meet my standards..

The images from the Mavic are just great, and with the help of Photoshop they are even better..

140818109.JPGNaamloos_HDR2.jpg140818109.JPGTulpenroute Noordoostpolder - Gelderdrone12.jpgTulpenroute Noordoostpolder - Gelderdrone16.jpgTulpenroute Noordoostpolder - Gelderdrone17.jpg

I had to edit some videos together shot with a Mavic Pro and H-480 using a PixAero.3.77m lens a bit over a year ago. Both were shot in 4k within minutes of each other at the same location. Had a devil of a time tying to get the Mavic video to look good. It could not be tweaked with the software I had to achieve the better imagery obtained from the H.

Most any photo can be made to look good using Photoshop. That’s not photography as much as it is computer generated imagery. If you want to learn how ti shoot good work, try a film camera. Your skill as a photographer established the image quality with with every image as each frame is processed.

I don't think most people would entertain a film camera nowadays, it's all too slow they want everything instant and automatic on a plate. Good old 6x7 manual medium format cameras with just 10 frames, you spent slot of time getting it right before pressing that shutter.

As a professional drone pilot I just wanted to try something else next to the Mavic that I have been flying for the past 2 years.
The Mavic has done well over 1100KM's and I thought it was time to have something to replace it when things went bad.

But, as good as it looks, and as good as it flies, the camera just doesn't meet my standards..

The images from the Mavic are just great, and with the help of Photoshop they are even better..

View attachment 17716View attachment 17717View attachment 17716View attachment 17718View attachment 17719View attachment 17720
It is amazing how different images can be using two different CGO3+ cameras. The images from mine are pretty good...I'm happy with them, but yours are soft. If your camera was mine I wouldn't be happy either: It certainly doesn't produce an image that would satisfy a client.

I take it that raising the sharpness value didn't resolve your issue?

Before selling it, take a few days away from it and return with a fresh head. The TH is a very good aircraft (with a few quirks I grant). Maybe worth pursuing a fix once your anger has subsided a bit.

Whatever you do, though, I wish you well.

View attachment 17716View attachment 17717View attachment 17716View attachment 17718View attachment 17719View attachment 17720
I agree, those photos look great. I especially like the shots of the village in the valley.
Do you shoot primarily photos rather than videos? The images I posted earlier were frame grabs from videos.
As a professional, do you get the respect you deserve when you show up with a Mavic?

OK so what shutter speed did you select??? You should be able to find that easily enough in the EXIF data for your JPEGs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval