Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New to Yunecc Typhoon H Pro

Reaction score
I just bought a like new Typhoon H Pro from my buddy, I'm use to DJI Mavic's and I just wanted to introduce myself and was going to ask what should I know that's importantly different about these than the DJI if anything that has to be mentioned before I Fly, Of course i already have been reading the manual and such, but experience does count and though I would ask the people out there that own them. I have 5 years into flying Drone's (All DJI) , and am a Private Pilot Thanks for your time and consideration.

Perhaps the most important is to understand Yuneec systems are not set up to be fully automated "tap and fly" systems like DJI provides. You really have to know how to get from here to there and back flying it yourself. You also need to learn how to take off and land. It's not hard but if you have become accustomed to using auto take off and auto land for the aircraft to handle that you should anticipate a few landing roll overs if you drive the H onto the ground at max descent speed. A real helpful hint is to not push the sticks around once the H is on the ground. Hold the throttle stick full aft and keep it there until the motors slow down. If you bump the sticks before that the H will try to respond to the stick inputs. You can imagine the conflict that occurs when a multirotor tries to tilt or twist when the landing gear is in full contact with the ground. Lacking a greased level platform underneath it, it rolls over every time.

The H is a lot of fun to fly but it's a "pilot's" aircraft that rewards the skilled operator with great flight performance and a superb gimbal but can be intolerant of the ham handed.

Last edited by a moderator:
what should I know that's importantly different
Welcome to the forum.
There are many differences some of which can cause confusion for those who are used to flying DJI products.

The ST16 is always Home no matter where you move during the flight. If you select Home, the H will fly back and land 10-15' from the controller. It does not record the takeoff location.

The H is also sensitive to initial GPS data. During the first flight of the day it's a good practice to allow the H to sit with the motors off until the almanac data has been downloaded. That can take several minutes. Don't start the motors until you have at least 15 sats on the display for a first flight. While you are waiting open Hardware Monitor and check the sticks to make sure they respond full scale and are not sluggish. Then check all the switch positions. Look at the battery a second time to make certain it is flush with the H. If it's not flush, it's not locked in.

Unless you travel hundreds of miles, it's not necessary to calibrate the compass after the initial calibration. Avoid flying anywhere near large metal structures. Remove the props and camera before doing a compass calibration.

The green arrow on the display shows you which way to move the right stick to bring the H home. When the arrow is pointing up, the nose is facing you.

The control distance of the H is much further than the video feed distance. The H is designed as a VLOS machine for photography and videography.

The batteries are not "Smart". That keeps the cost about 1/2 of Smart batts. They will not discharge on their own. If you land when the voltage is about 14.5 to 14.7 volts, the batteries will rebound to 15.2 v which is perfect for storage. Plan your flights so you are not a long distance away when the voltage has dropped to 15 v. Never fly to the first battery warning which is 14.3.

There are very few NFZ's built into the firmware all of which are major airports. They cannot be disabled in the field. You are the pilot and you are responsible for knowing where you can and cannot fly. If you fly commercially you can get unrestricted firmware from Yuneec.

Spend some time reading the Typhoon H "How to" section of this forum. Good info there.

Preflight Checks on the Typhoon H:

Props are locked
Battery is locked and flush with the H
Battery voltage on the display is 16.3 or higher
Sat count on the H is at least 15, on the ST-16, 7 or more
Switches in the correct position
Open Hardware Monitor and test the sticks
Stand 30' away from the aircraft
Take off full throttle to 15', then test sticks.
Land when the battery voltage reads 14.5 to 14.7v

If this is your first flight remove the camera until you can fly it well.

On rainy days, when you can't fly (unlike DJI gear, the TH is NOT waterproof and can't be flown safely in rain or dense fog), spend some time browsing the Help and Discussion threads (especially the stickies) in the TH section of this forum. The H definitely has some 'yuneec' quirks and the time to be finding out about them is not when you are in the air ! :)

Don't let any of the above put you off - the H is a great little flyer, and can stand up to high winds better than anything DJI make !

You'll find a hex responds slightly differently to a quad, so that'll take a little getting used to - you'll learn to avoid side-roll movements in favour of front or reverse travelling shots, which give smoother, less blurry video, but the most fun will probably come from flying in pretty much straight lines while you let the camera (slowly) spin (the sweet spot is about 10/2 o'clock on the pan control!) to get those epic sweeping cinematic shots :) I'd say the travelling pan is one of the best things about the H.

Happy flyings.

Last edited:
Reactions: h-elsner
Flying in Smart Mode or Angle Mode needs to be understood, many people have crashed their bird not knowing Smart Mode characteristics. I prefer to flying in Angle Mode.
Be safe.

The green arrow on the display show you which way to move the right stick to bring the H home. When the arrow is pointing up, the nose is facing you.

<SNIP>

If this is your first flight remove the camera until you can fly it well.

It should be noted that when the camera is removed, you will lose the Green Arrow. Despite that, it is still valid to fly the first few flights without the camera. Beyond the obvious financial advantage of not risking damage to the camera, you can focus more on getting used to any stick feel or flight characteristic differences with the DJI birds.

Welcome to the forum.
…………...

The batteries are not "Smart". That keeps the cost about 1/2 of Smart batts. They will not discharge on their own. If you land when the voltage is about 14.5 to 14.7 volts, the batteries will rebound to 15.2 v which is perfect for storage. Plan your flights so you are not a long distance away when the voltage has dropped to 15 v. Never fly to the first battery warning which is 14.3.
………………..

Steve, looking at the price of smart batteries from others (parrot Anafi £89) Typhoon batteries are expensive by comparison (£92.99 Yuneec shop), for US comparison ($99.99 Yuneec US shop) and (Autel Evo $85.00 from their own shop). So as far as batteries go, Yuneec are stiffing us.

Flashoser, I recommend hitting the red kill switch as soon as the Typhoon hits the ground because as PatR has alluded to, the H can be a bit twitchy when landing especially if there is any wind. I often opt for a hand catch and kill switch to avoid the bird tipping when landing.

On rainy days, when you can't fly (unlike DJI gear, the TH is NOT waterproof and can't be flown safely in rain or dense fog), spend some time browsing the Help and Discussion threads (especially the stickies) in the TH section of this forum. The H definitely has some 'yuneec' quirks and the time to be finding out about them is not when you are in the air ! :)

Don't let any of the above put you off - the H is a great little flyer, and can stand up to high winds better than anything DJI make !

You'll find a hex responds slightly differently to a quad, so that'll take a little getting used to - you'll learn to avoid side-roll movements in favour of front or reverse travelling shots, which give smoother, less blurry video, but the most fun will probably come from flying in pretty much straight lines while you let the camera (slowly) spin (the sweet spot is about 10/2 o'clock on the pan control!) to get those epic sweeping cinematic shots :) I'd say the travelling pan is one of the best things about the H.

Happy flyings.
Thanks for the advice...but I read in the FAQ, that the H does have Auto Take Off and and Landing...I do understand it does not record the precise location of the landing location

what's nice is I did get Yuneec H Pro, a Pelican case, and 5 Batteries for $720

Reactions: Steve Carr
That's a b
Steve, looking at the price of smart batteries from others (parrot Anafi £89) Typhoon batteries are expensive by comparison (£92.99 Yuneec shop), for US comparison ($99.99 Yuneec US shop) and (Autel Evo $85.00 from their own shop). So as far as batteries go, Yuneec are stiffing us.

Flashoser, I recommend hitting the red kill switch as soon as the Typhoon hits the ground because as PatR has alluded to, the H can be a bit twitchy when landing especially if there is any wind. I often opt for a hand catch and kill switch to avoid the bird tipping when landing.
summer it is not stable on landing, I always hated that when i had my DJI Phantom's I'm on a Grass lawn that is not that level in places...i have a sweet spot I always have to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop