Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Typhoon H - Lost Throttle Control

Reaction score
Over the past two days we've had a problem with our new Typhoon H losing throttle control with the ST16 controller. The firmware is all up to date per Yuneec web page support.

Both times it was almost a near disaster. Lucky, some how the aircraft descended but, we had to hold the throttle stick in the downward position for several minutes waiting of the craft to respond to the throttle input. It seems like it took forever for the aircraft to finally to lower enough so we could grab it out of the sky. Not fun! I'm just glad we didn't have a fly away or worse a crash. Let us know if you've had the same experience and how you corrected the problem. I will contact Yuneec tech support tomorrow for help!

Over the past two days we've had a problem with our new Typhoon H losing throttle control with the ST16 controller. The firmware is all up to date per Yuneec web page support.

Both times it was almost a near disaster. Lucky, some how the aircraft descended but, we had to hold the throttle stick in the downward position for several minutes waiting of the craft to respond to the throttle input. It seems like it took forever for the aircraft to finally to lower enough so we could grab it out of the sky. Not fun! I'm just glad we didn't have a fly away or worse a crash. Let us know if you've had the same experience and how you corrected the problem. I will contact Yuneec tech support tomorrow for help!
try recalibrating the st16

Reactions: jchittam
On the ST-16 tap Settings -> Hardware monitor. Move both sticks up, down, left, right and check that the bar display at the bottom of the screen for J1-J4 goes to its full extent. If they don't, you have a faulty stick which can be fixed.

I think the baro is drifting. Watch your altitude redings on st16. You can see it in telemetry logs also.

if you calibrate make sure the rabbit/turtle slider, and the camera up/down slider are both in the middle of their positions.

I have had this problem a number of times on my TH Pro. Very scary to say the least. I also had to just hold the stick down white knuckled until I could grab it. Other times, by throttling up a few times, seemed to get it to come down again. Always in Angle mode, with no assisted flight modes being used. That bird has been back to Yuneec twice. This last time, it came back with NO description of what they did to fix it, but after 2 flights it appears to be behaving properly. I have seen somewhere on this forum where someone did a recalibration of the ST16 which resolved some twitchy control issues. I have not done that, and not sure if that is related to this, but it sure is scary when it happens.

I had this exact same issue after updating to 2.25 and doing a hover test in the back yard after all calibrations. The baro was definitely drifting and could watch it change. That in itself should not of caused a problem since the H will go below 0 feet. When I let go the throttle stick from full down the H actually went up about 2 feet and would not come down. What finally fixed my issue is I shut GPS off and then I had full manual control and landed without an issue. There seems to be an interface between the GPS, baro and some of the controls on the st 16 which would make sense. After that episode I went to a field where I had a lot more room to fly and I flew the H normally and flew in a straight line for quite a distance and then back to me to kind of reset the compass and give the compass/accelerometer a work out. after that point the H. flew perfectly and Hovered perfectly without drifting. It also landed fine. I think my point is if you have any issue controlling the H or it gets into a funky situation try turning GPS off and see if you can gain manual control again.

Had the same problem today
the throttle was very slow to respond and found the throttle travel was going down to 20 then only up to about 70
when I moved the turtle/rabbit lever back and forth a few times the throttle travel then changed to 100 both ways
WTF !!!!!!!

Had the same problem today
the throttle was very slow to respond and found the throttle travel was going down to 20 then only up to about 70
when I moved the turtle/rabbit lever back and forth a few times the throttle travel then changed to 100 both ways
WTF !!!!!!!
You posted on Oct 8th and Oct 15th that you had sold your Typhoon H and bought a P4 "which was superior in every way." I guess it was not so superior and you bought another H?
WTF!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: JulesTEO

My son and I had the same exact problem about six weeks ago. We sent the craft back to Yuneec tech support two months ago and they replaced the control board in the ST 16. Once we got it back we started again flying the craft around. After about 30 min of flight we had the same problem. Again lost throttle control. We called Yuneec tech support and the they gag us recalibrate the ST16 controls. After that we got in one more battery and then it seemed fine no issues. We haven't had time to fly the craft since then. This is definitely a long term problem that Yuneec needs to address sooner than than later. Good luck

You posted on Oct 8th and Oct 15th that you had sold your Typhoon H and bought a P4 "which was superior in every way." I guess it was not so superior and you bought another H?
WTF!!!!!!!!!
Well my P4 is and the problem with the H belongs to another pilot

I only flew mine twice since I've gotten it. On both flights at the beginning everything seemed fine. Did a couple of touch and go landings all was good. It seems when the battery voltage starts getting low, just before the first low battery warning, things started happening. I would get lost of gps warnings and compass warnings. Then when I tried to land it wouldn't land. It would descend to about 12' and stop. I would climb and descend a couple of times then it would finally slowly creep down and land. Then after it landed it tried to flip it self over. Both times I was able to shut the motors off before it flipped. I called Yuneec and they told me to send the H and ST16 in for a full check out and repair if needed. So it is on it's way back to Yuneec. I asked the tech what type of check they go through. He told me that they go through a 26 step check out, they update the firmware and they test fly them. Now I don't know how true that is because some people have sent their's in and still had the same issue when they got it back. So I don't think they test fly everyone.

I only flew mine twice since I've gotten it. On both flights at the beginning everything seemed fine. Did a couple of touch and go landings all was good. It seems when the battery voltage starts getting low, just before the first low battery warning, things started happening. I would get lost of gps warnings and compass warnings. Then when I tried to land it wouldn't land. It would descend to about 12' and stop. I would climb and descend a couple of times then it would finally slowly creep down and land. Then after it landed it tried to flip it self over. Both times I was able to shut the motors off before it flipped. I called Yuneec and they told me to send the H and ST16 in for a full check out and repair if needed. So it is on it's way back to Yuneec. I asked the tech what type of check they go through. He told me that they go through a 26 step check out, they update the firmware and they test fly them. Now I don't know how true that is because some people have sent their's in and still had the same issue when they got it back. So I don't think they test fly everyone.
It is easy to tell if it was flown. There will be a flight record on the ST16.

Ok Thanks. I'll check when I get it back. I hope they send me my H and st16 back I don't want a refurbished unit. Plus I just installed a label kit for my st16 switches and buttons that cost me $27.00 :(.

Attachments

• 2016-12-04 10.46.37.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 13
Ok Thanks. I'll check when I get it back. I hope they send me my H and st16 back I don't want a refurbished unit. Plus I just installed a label kit for my st16 switches and buttons that cost me $27.00 :(.

No one is stating where there OBS is set during these moments...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No one is stating where there OBS is set during these moments...

My OBS was off. I was in Angle mode. The H was well outside the safe circle when I tried to land and the gear was down.

My OBS was off. I was in Angle mode. The H was well outside the safe circle when I tried to land and the gear was down.

Weird... I've gotten into the habit of catch landings to help keep dirt out of motors and stuff. That of course relies on a stable hover so not being able to hold is no good. Since participating here one of the tips I've picked up is patience on pre flight and to test all sticks upon initial take off and hover in front of me before setting out on camera run. I've also taken to calibrating accelerometer more often and will do it on sight if there is a stable level surface. It takes seconds.
The one thing that is obvious is that the way the compass and GPS along with IMU work together is a bit mysterious and if one is off the rest is affected. It takes a little time but I've found doing all calibrations before a dedicated flight and shoot is a good protocol for smooth flights and predictable behaviors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval