Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Next Question,,,,,,,, Battery Upgrade

Reaction score
So as per norm fro the Newbi,

What's the best battery upgrade for this bird?

There’s no magic bullet for longer flight times aside from a long extension cord. The best you will obtain from larger, heavier batteries is only a couple of minutes. Consumer drones were not designed to carry any more weight than the associated components already handle. We can remove things to let them fly longer but adding things has little initial benefit and can end up costing flight time, and stability, as weight increases, regardless of battery capacities.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Morning all, yeah Pat I understand the weight to flight time thing, if there was a battery that was then it would be sold out forever,,,,,,

DM, I saw that one and a few others, same price range, I was wondering about Gifi, I got a pair of them for my Q500, they're a bit better than the OME, not much but it's a fresh battery compared to the swollen ones that came with that purchase.

Steve, I don't think the savings on used batteries are worth the risk of a short life span of a used battery compared to a new one but thank you for the suggestion.

Pretty sure there's a member here that did a review on a battery upgrade on Youtube that did do better than OME, but that one is no longer on the market, I do understand that some of those almost magic bullets have a short life span as well so you don't get a substantial payoff as to speak.

Without being able to see the charge data, IR and cell voltage of a battery while on my charger it's hit & miss,,,,

OK, well I thought I would just ask, never hurts.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I might pick up two, now that my charger is modified for the H+ battery via a members youtube vid.
Did it early this morning, one small smoke cloud later I had my charger converted to a base unit that plugs directly into my Imax B6 so I have the charge data on screen instead of trusting flashing LED's.

I was searching for balance leads and noticed that most of the "H" leads weren't male spade all the way across, some of the photo's had the push pins like the H+ uses, I figured what the heck for the price and see what I get.

Found this thread with a link to the vid in post #5,

Reactions: Mike Irish
man oman,,,,,,,,,,
I just discovered how confused on what I own, really good thing at this point, I haven't ordered anything I can't use yet, I've got an "H Pro" not a plus,,,,,,,

Excuse me for my ignorance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Then those adapters you posted earlier will work just fine.

Then those adapters you posted earlier will work just fine.
cause that's the balance harness that's been ordered,,,,,,,

Just this lesson cost me an OME charger thinking that there were no balance harnesses out there for my batteries,,,,,,,
Little hit on the chin but none the less for wear,,,,,,,,,,

Converting the OEM charger is only a plus. Paired with a good charger you can now do a balance charge, storage charge, monitor individual cell voltage and IR and discharge batteries if necessary. If done like in the video, you should still be able to use it normally if needed.

So - if my charger wants to give a blue error message most of the time, and I have to reseat the batteries for .. like ,, 5 minutes to finally get a red charging indicator ... what're my options ? I wouldn't mind investing in a better charger, but .... how to know which one, and this whole "leads" conversation is a bit headspinning. Then, maybe buy 1 more battery. I have a Duramax and an OEM, both complete unknowns. The whole system is new to me used.

So - if my charger wants to give a blue error message most of the time, and I have to reseat the batteries for .. like ,, 5 minutes to finally get a red charging indicator ... what're my options ? I wouldn't mind investing in a better charger, but .... how to know which one, and this whole "leads" conversation is a bit headspinning. Then, maybe buy 1 more battery. I have a Duramax and an OEM, both complete unknowns. The whole system is new to me used.
If you have the Typhoon H/HPro (H480), you can buy an adapter to use with a 3rd party charger. You can find chargers by Hi Tech, HTRC, and others that will allow charging of several different types of batteries as well as reading cell voltages and IR and putting batteries at storage voltage.

JD, here's a link to the balance lead for the H480 battery to be used to balance charge your battery with an aftermarket charger

Sometimes it's easier to understand if you see it done, here's a link to a video, only 12min long.

I had my lovely bride pick up the last “only 1 left” H Plus battery from our nearest Best Buy. Figure no one would care, least of all my H520, that it is not orange. Not surprised, there is a manufactured date sticker on the box; it reads: 2018-06-04.

Not saying all are or will be as old. Just saying, as has been pointed out by a few, many times... “new” only implies something has not been used previously. Does NOT imply young of age.

By the way, the battery looks pristine; no swelling whatsoever, even though the voltage out of the box reads 13.3v. However, upon further investigation, 3 of the 4 cells are at 3.85v. The first cell is at 1.8v. My DY5 cannot see the first cell.

Oh well. Time to see what Best Buy’s customer support will be as my learnings here and elsewhere tell me a cell lower than 3v is no longer a trustworthy cell.

Jeff

Not a good sign Jeff. They should refund or give a very substantial discount.

Reactions: Mike Irish

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace