Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

NFZ problems.

Reaction score
No Fly Zone issues, so yesterday I received the partial unlock for the firmware on my new 920+. All was well and good(or so I thought) when I was flying our river channel and I could not get higher than 60'. Now I'm told that with the 920+, I will not be able to fly higher than 60' in a NFZ, this is totally unacceptable. Anyone have any solutions, suggestions.

I don't have the 920+, but all I can tell you is to try and get the NFZ fully taken away. You might be able to fly out of GPS and bypass the GPS For the NFZ. Hope that helps.

No Fly Zone issues, so yesterday I received the partial unlock for the firmware on my new 920+. All was well and good(or so I thought) when I was flying our river channel and I could not get higher than 60'. Now I'm told that with the 920+, I will not be able to fly higher than 60' in a NFZ, this is totally unacceptable. Anyone have any solutions, suggestions.

You have a partial lift of the restrictions (recreational version) because you did not provide Yuneec a copy of your 107 certificate. The commercial version of the software lifting NFZ restrictions has absolutely no restrictions for anywhere that I'm aware of. Again, we need to ber in mind you are not using the ST-16 that arrived with your 920 and set up to drive the 920. You are using a Typhoon H ST-16 that was set up with NFZ restrictions that's resident in every Typhoon H until wavered software is obtained. If you want to eliminate the NFZ restrictions from the system as it is being used you will need to do things right and prove you hold commercial certification from the FAA by submitting a photocopy of your 107 with the PDF application. There are no exceptions to that with Yuneec's non commercial platforms. That's actually a good thing as it prevents people lacking knowledge of airspace rules and sound safety practices from flying where they should not be flying.

Reactions: Mr. I and Racepro60
You have a partial lift of the restrictions (recreational version) because you did not provide Yuneec a copy of your 107 certificate. The commercial version of the software lifting NFZ restrictions has absolutely no restrictions for anywhere that I'm aware of. Again, we need to ber in mind you are not using the ST-16 that arrived with your 920 and set up to drive the 920. You are using a Typhoon H ST-16 that was set up with NFZ restrictions that's resident in every Typhoon H until wavered software is obtained. If you want to eliminate the NFZ restrictions from the system as it is being used you will need to do things right and prove you hold commercial certification from the FAA by submitting a photocopy of your 107 with the PDF application. There are no exceptions to that with Yuneec's non commercial platforms. That's actually a good thing as it prevents people lacking knowledge of airspace rules and sound safety practices from flying where they should not be flying.[/QUOTE
I have provided Yuneec with a copy of my 107, I realize some of the issues I'm up against with the issues with the st16s that came with the 920+. I guess I misunderstood that the controller has restrictions placed in the firmware, ( if I understand right) I'm just a bit concerned when I hear a couple of answers about the NFZ restrictions. I've been told no restrictions, then when I find there are, I try to remedy that by providing the documentation that was needed. Then I'm told by a tech no less, Sorry you've been misinformed, but the recreational unlock you received is it, I'm sorry this causes you any inconvenience. Can you see my concern here? How can I do things the right way? I thought I was by turning to the experienced guys in this forum for a little insight. I'm still just a novice and clearly it shows.

Call Yuneec back and verify they provided the correct software. If you gave them a copy of your 107 you should have been given unrestricted software. While you have them on the phone verify the 920 is not supposed to have NFZ restrictions if you will. Letting us know what your told will be informative for everyone here. I sincerely hope they tell you the same thing they told me.

When things like this happen the first action we should take is contact the manufacturer. I don’t know of anyone outside the maker with the ability to safely defeat NFZ restricted software.

Call Yuneec back and verify they provided the correct software. If you gave them a copy of your 107 you should have been given unrestricted software. While you have them on the phone verify the 920 is not supposed to have NFZ restrictions if you will. Letting us know what your told will be informative for everyone here. I sincerely hope they tell you the same thing they told me.

When things like this happen the first action we should take is contact the manufacturer. I don’t know of anyone outside the maker with the ability to safely defeat NFZ restricted software.
I 've got another tech session appointment on thursday. I will ask about the difference between the 920 and 920+ as far as NFZ restrictions. I will let this forum know as soon as I get the chance.

Reactions: PatR and Steve Carr
I’m a 107 licensed pilot and thus far have not tried flying in a NFZ with my Typhoon H. I know it has the NFZ restriction indicator built in for when you are within 5 miles of an airport. I think the main LED is supposed to blink red and white or something. Is that just a warning or will it not let you take off at all? Also, does the warning come on around all airports (even those without a tower) or just the class B and class C airspace airports? From the sounds of what I just read, you have to submit an application to Yuneec in order to get the NFZ restrictions removed. Where do I do this? Through their website? Sorry for all the questions. Just an excellent point y’all brought up that I never thought about.

Reactions: ttmarch
You obtain the application from Yuneec by making a direct call to customer service. As I’ve never been NFZ restricted I can’t answer the red LED question but I’ve always associated that with RTH mode.

Ok so after spending some time on the phone with Yuneec, here is what I have been told. The Tornado H920 (original) w/ st24 controller,have no NFZ restrictions in the firmware or the controller. The newer H920+ w/st16 controller have software and firmware that came from the Typhoon H series, which have the restricted NFZ software. As of right now the only option is a recreational release for the NFZ software, and no plans for a full release in the future. Which is unfortunate for me, because of the proximity of KBOI to downtown Boise, Id. Hmmm, I wonder if they would move the airport about 5 miles south lol.

That sucks, and ticks me off, for a couple reasons. One, only recreational waiver and two, they only told me half of what I needed to know when I spoke with them, which in turn caused me to post bad info.

I'm right there with you PatR, it should not be put across on the website as a Professional commercial aircraft, With only the recreational waiver, I can't fly in the river channel. 60' agl would cause more safety issues than it solves, in my situation anyway.
Of course the tech was doing his level best to steer me towards buying the H520, which of course, no NFZ restrictions at all.
For now I'll stick with my H480's. At least they're fully unlocked. I was hoping for a better ending.

I just got an official reply to my question to Yuneec about the 920Plus NFZ, here is the email:

Update for Case 121320 - "Tornado 920 Plus"

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for contacting Yuneec! While the original H920 has the ability to completely remove flight restrictions, the H920 Plus does not have this ability. Your research into the 20 meter altitude ceiling is correct. Despite this, the H920 Plus is certainly a professional commercial drone, though I'm sorry to hear that you define this differently. If being able to completely remove flight restrictions in all areas is a critical component of your drone business, I recommend contacting Vertigo Drones to return the unit, as we will not be able to assist you with completely removing flight restrictions for this particular unit. Let us know if we can assist with anything else.

Thank you,

Mitch M
Technical Support
| Yuneec USA
2275 Sampson Ave, Ste 200
Corona, CA 92879
www.yuneec.com

Very disappointed that I cannot get complete NFZ waiver for my new "Professional Aircraft".....There will be projects for me which will be in Class C airspace and I would need greater than 20m altitude.....

Last edited:
Based upon Yuneec advertising it should be possible to obtain a refund as their website advertising might be viewed as false and misleading.

The situation doesn't make sense. The 920+ uses the same flight controller and transmitter as the Typhoon H. If they can negate the NFZ's in an H they should be able to do it in a 920+. Unless they simply don't want to. I don't understand why the system could not be placed in Typhoon H mode, upload the new software to the GUI and transfer it to the aircraft. Re-booting back to 920+ mode afterwards would automatically have the restrictions removed.

So, before I ask Vertigo Drones for a refund based on mileading advertising on both their and on Yuneec's website (Advertising the 920+ as a "Commercial/Professional drone which cannot be operatied in a NFZ area above 20m) , I have scheduled a call tonight with Yuneec tech support to see if there is ANY possibility of getting a FULL NFZ waiver on the 920+

OK, so I just talked to a tech at Yuneec tonight and he confirms that the Tornado 920+ can only have LIMITED NFZ restrictions lifted, meaning it can operate in an NFZ but only to a max altitude of 20 metres. He said that the NFZ software upgrade is only done to the flight control board and it is different than the H480 control board.

I also talked to Vertigo Drones today and they will only accept the 920+ returned if it is as new condition (it is) but will not pay for return shipping. In addition there was a 13% sales tax to import it into Canada, so, I would be out the shipping - maybe $80 plus the sales tax - $325 = ~$400US. So, it looks like I will be keeping the big bird and only flying it on missions in Class G airspace. Not a great start to 2019 for me......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio