Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No confidence in the H at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The H remains controllable by the operator if only one tip of a landing gear skid is touching the ground. In such a state the internal flight controller is not going to be successful in maintaining stability, the operator takes over with stick input. When landing, be on the sticks.

I have yet to hear of anyone that maintained pressure on the throttle stick having problems with landing. We are not done with a flight until the propellers have stopped and the aircraft is shut down.

?

Well here's another person who had that issue. Full pressure down on the throttle and it raised back up again and ended up on its side while on flat concrete. Pressing the shutdown button didn't work and it wasn't user error. I sent it in for repair. I haven't had an issue since.

Why are so many of you afraid to use RTH? It's basically autopilot. I'm an airline pilot and we fly autopilot 100 feet after takeoff to 100 feet before landing. Use RTH and let it return to home above you and switch to angle mode. Why in the world would I want to manually fly something when it has an automatic feature? I use RTH all the time and would be stupid not to. I've been flying RC for 35 years and RTH is one of the best features I've seen. Saying RTH is a panic switch is a bunch of bologna.

Reactions: concretejungle
Why are so many of you afraid to use RTH? It's basically autopilot. I'm an airline pilot and we fly autopilot 100 feet after takeoff to 100 feet before landing. Use RTH and let it return to home above you and switch to angle mode. Why in the world would I want to manually fly something when it has an automatic feature? I use RTH all the time and would be stupid not to. I've been flying RC for 35 years and RTH is one of the best features I've seen. Saying RTH is a panic switch is a bunch of bologna.

Flyers have their personal beliefs and perspectives, maybe one guy's panic is another person's salvation. The word stupid is a mite harsh to use for another's opinions.:)

Personally, I also use RTH from time to time for various reasons, and it works as it should on my 3 drones. I set my RTH height at 150'. Smart mode I ordinarily use only for Watch Me or Follow Me modes.

Flyers have their personal beliefs and perspectives, maybe one guy's panic is another person's salvation. The word stupid is a mite harsh to use for another's opinions.:)

Personally, I also use RTH from time to time for various reasons, and it works as it should on my 3 drones. I set my RTH height at 150'. Smart mode I ordinarily use only for Watch Me or Follow Me modes.

I said I would be stupid if I didn't. I wasn't saying anyone else is stupid if they didn't.

I rarely use it, and as you said I've used it a couple of times to get the aircraft close to me and then switch back to Angle and keep flying or manually land. Only once used it as "Panic" switch when I lost telemetry info on the remote and it was out of my sight (I know.. VLOS, spare me the lecture)

There's a couple of reasons why I don't really like the automated landing part:

1) Descent rate is too fast, I don't like how it bounces off and stresses the landing gear assembly + gimbal
2) The few times I've used it, it didn't idle motors, it just leaved them on the minimum speed yet "ready to fly" and cuts them off.

Why in the world would I want to manually fly something when it has an automatic feature? I use RTH all the time and would be stupid not to.

I've been hearing this for yeaaaars while happily driving my manual car. "manual is stupid...automatic is best" well some people just like to have more control.

Also, speaking of control. If there's an issue with GPS signal on the H or the ST16 using the Home mode will serve your aircraft no purpose as it fully depends on GPS location.

Anyway its just my opinion, I'm relatively new to UAV world, and I am no airline pilot so perhaps I'm in the wrong

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
When everything is working right there's nothing wrong with using RTH. What is wrong is always being dependent on it to find the way home. I'm not an airline pilot but have flown some pretty nice autopilots, all of which are vastly superior to the technology used in consumer level model aircraft.

For me that's the rub. I know the difference between the great stuff and the OK stuff. The Ok stuff is not certified by any testing lab or the FAA. The great stuff has a record of many, many flight hours between failures. Some Chinese pilots found out the hard way why manual flying skills were important when the auto land system was inop at SFO a couple years ago. The OK stuff, from all the manufacturers, unfortunately fails far to often. Our models are not certified by the FAA, ALPA, or even by the manufacturer. We might want to consider that from time to time.

Oh, there's no need to let our aircraft auto land when using RTH. That little switch allows the user to exit RTH at any time to handle the landing themselves. IMO we should use all the tools we have but it certainly doesn't hurt to develop some skills too.

Last edited:
I hate to admit this, but while i'm still waiting on Yuneec to figure out what to do with my broken piece of equipment that i still can't use, i purchased a DJI phantom 4 pro. Wow what a difference.

If this forum has a for sale section, tune in shortly for a hardly ever used Typhoon H with extra battery.

It's a shame that people feel they have to troll a forum like this to pimp their DJI drones, while knocking their competition (Yuneec). I am a veteran of message boards for 20 plus years, especially in the political arena. Do not fall for every complaint you see in a place like this. Not all complaints are legit.

You can sort out who is legit and who isn't if you are smart. Some of these people are even paid to visit your forum and engage in negative messaging, so be aware.

It's a shame that people feel they have to troll a forum like this to pimp their DJI drones, while knocking their competition (Yuneec). I am a veteran of message boards for 20 plus years, especially in the political arena. Do not fall for every complaint you see in a place like this. Not all complaints are legit.

You can sort out who is legit and who isn't if you are smart. Some of these people are even paid to visit your forum and engage in negative messaging, so be aware.
Agreed.
As well as the Typhoon H, I also have a Phantom 2 V+. I like the Phantom, but I also like the H too. They are both good aircraft in their own ways although the Phantom is a bit dated now so the H is vastly superior to the Phantom. But, depending on what they are being used for, they each have their place in their usefulness. So, for my uses, I won't deride one against the other and although I have no doubt that the later model Phantoms are far better than the Phantom model I currently own, I wont be replacing my P2V+ with one of them...my H fills that niche.

Reactions: Rayray and PatR

Glad somebody else noticed it.

Reactions: Rayray
I hate to admit this, but while i'm still waiting on Yuneec to figure out what to do with my broken piece of equipment that i still can't use, i purchased a DJI phantom 4 pro. Wow what a difference.

If this forum has a for sale section, tune in shortly for a hardly ever used Typhoon H with extra battery.
I thought you said you lost it in the bottom of a lake. Did you recover it?

No one makes the perfect drone for everyone, each one has it's good and bad things. Though would love to put the H and the pro in the failed Teleporter from "The fly" and see what came out. Might even throw in a few others to mix things up even more.

The first one did end up at the bottom of the pond. They replaced it and on the third flight of the new one it tipped and crashed into the curb ripping the camera off. Now it's in transit to them to see if they are going to fix it under warranty. They said they will review the telemetry when they get it.

Interesting story of all your bad luck. This forum indeed has a good Classified section, which you are welcome to use.

You may also wish to go here to join our sister forum and discuss your new P4 Pro. They will be happy to welcome you.
DJI Phantom Drone Forum

Perhaps your luck will change for the better.

Reactions: concretejungle
You guys are right, i should not of said that. I didn't mean to do that, but reading it, i sound like an ***. I have just been frustrated with the thing since the first incident.

I have read that DJI has some software issues as well. So they all have their own set of problems it seems.

I do like the compactness of the DJI, but the H, when i flew it, seemed to have great performance and a steady camera.

So, sorry about trying to pimp the other product here, didn't mean to.

Everything new has a learning curve. For some that curve can be pretty steep. However, some DJI products seem to be tailor made for people with few or no flight skills.

Last edited:
lol nice Pat.

I can assure you that i'm not here "trolling the forum"... I simply had issues with a product, started googling them and found this chat forum. Started reading through it and decided to post up to see if i was the only one with issues.

Sorry if i offended you or anyone else. I also take no issue with you being a true Yuneec follower. Good for you. I simply am looking for the best drone for my use. The Typhoon H was a candidate until i realized it was not. Even though the customer service reps at Yuneec are very friendly and seemed genuinely interested in helping me out; months into the process and i'm still down. So that's a fail.

However, some DJI products seem to be tailor made for people with few or no flight skills.

That could also be interpreted to mean that the DJI products seem to perform much better than others so they are easier to fly regardless of your "skill level".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval