Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No confidence in the H at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to have mine start skipping after a landing yesterday. I had been holding down the throttle but let off before the motors idled down. My fault, I knew better but became distracted with something else. A lesson re-learned. I took off again just to land it and shut down correctly.

Reactions: Rayray
This sounds like someone trying to land their drone in Smart Mode again which requires you keep 26 feet away from the drone in the safe zone.

Any movement in to this safe zone will cause your H to rapidly try to put distance between you, your controller and it.

Most of the crashes I have read about were because of this and the pilot not understanding smart mode, or being aware of what switches were on or off on his controller.

Most of the other crashes I have read about were because of infrequent flying and not allowing the drone to finish updating it's GPS almanac.

And the others I have read about are just pilots doing stupid things, like flying dangerously, not having their systems calibrated, not doing pre flight tests, and not addressing earlier issues with available firmware updates.

And sometimes a product has a defect, and it's the company's fault. But if you read and research enough, I think most would agree The H is a good product and there aren't too many issues with it.

Most issues other than defects, are Knowledge Gap & Pilot Errors, or Poor Pilot Judgement.

Last edited:
Tree,

If history repeats, you just made a lot of people mad telling them they crashed because of themselves. People don't like hearing they are capable of making mistakes in judgement and execution, or they have to assume any responsibility.

Reactions: JulesTEO
Tree,

If history repeats, you just made a lot of people mad telling them they crashed because of themselves. People don't like hearing they are capable of making mistakes in judgement and execution, or they have to assume any responsibility.
It's a sad fact of life that the truth sometimes hurts. The fact of the matter is, though, that by far the cause of the vast majority (but it's important to stress that not all) of drone crashes can be ultimately traced back to pilot error of some kind.
In my time I've had 3 crashes that required repairs to my aircraft (other than the odd broken rotor through a dodgy landing or two). For two of them it was pilot error, pure and simple. The third seemed to me to be a fault with the aircraft, but I'm not discounting the possibility of some (unknown) error on my part.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I make mistakes all the time but generally not too serious in nature. The hot ticket is being able to correct a mistake before it becomes an event. If and when a mistake becomes an event, step back and review every part of it to determine what really happened, and why. Human error, equipment fault, and/or percentages for each. Most events establish themselves after a chain of small decisions or errors accumulate. Reverse any of them anywhere in the chain and an accident gets prevented. I well remember a 3DR quad and Go Pro that were mercilessly bashed in a crash because I confused control inputs for the flight mode being used. I had plenty of time to think about it while doing the repairs.

Reactions: Steve Carr
That video shows pretty much what mine was doing except i had no winds.

Can you please upload your telemetry data from the last 3 flights? Include the remote files as well so we can help you diagnose the issue.

I agree! If you are willing to share the telemetry data of the problematic flights some of us could take a look and see if there's something unusual logged.

Greetings!

Must say I am not one for using RTH as a matter of course, would always bring back home in angle mode. For me RTH is a bit of a last resort or if I have lost site of the craft. If you are flying beyond line of site you may need to re-evaluate how you are flying.

As for landing/taking off in smart mode that's a big no no.

Totaly agree. RTH is a bit of a "panic" switch. Only time I ever used it was to try it out on my first flight. I do all of my flying in angle. Only time I ever use smart mode is when I do chase shots in follow/watch mode.

In my opinion RTH is to be avoided as much as possible especially auto landing in RTH. As soon as you have visual of the craft, always fly manually and land it yourself.

Once I'm in a clear area, I'd like to try RTH but I haven't tried it yet either. We have Oak trees all around from 60-65'. I'm sure if I use the GUI and set the RTH altitude with sufficient clearance, it should work assuming the H's altimeter is accurate at the time but personally I'd only try it in an emergency. I've only flown in Angle mode so far.
No need for setting it in GUI. You can do it directly on the ST-16, even during flight. Right side screen in the calibration menu if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
I finished reviewing the log files you posted;

Your log does show that telemetry was lost near a pond after being hovering for a while, but,
The log does not show that Home mode was engaged at any time.

Please keep in mind I'm no expert on this, this is just my interpretation of what the Remote logged.

Having said that, it seems the H had been reporting unusually high altitude data. Previous flights recorded top heights of over 175m (574ft), during this particular flight it also shows a lot of Barometer calibrations performed by the IMU during the entire flight. During the last minute or so until telemetry loss it recorded a height of 200m (656ft) just curious: were you really flying that high?

Chronology of events (sumarized):

16:48:59 - Motors Start, flight mode: Smart
16:49:04 - Takeoff
16:49:04 - 16:52:06 - Regular flying no incidents
16:52:06 - 16:52:03 - Hovering in place, yawing left and right.
16:53:00 - 16:53:03 - Roll +100% Pitch -100% (right stick all the way left/down)
16:53:03 - 16:53:06 - Roll 0% Pitch -100% (right stick all the way down)

16:53:06 - Aircraft telemetry lost (traveling @11mph)
16:53:06 - 16:53:18 - Pitch -100% (right stick pulled all the way down) [16:53:08 - 16:53:12 - camera tilt from 0 to -90]
16:53:18 - 16:53:19 - Thr -100% Pitch -100% (Left stick all the way down, right stick all the way down)
16:53:19 - 16:49:30 - No stick input (both sticks in neutral position)
16:49:30 - Remote log ends

Also this is the final path of the aircraft from the point where it was hovering to the point where telemetry is lost.

concretejungle_crash.png

So this is what I can make out of the log files you shared, I hope this is somehow helpful.

Greetings!

Last edited:
This shows the flight path in blue and the controller location (red) moving from the driveway into the trees. It seems like it would be difficult to see the H from where the controller is located in the trees even if the leaves are gone.
Immediately after a couple of radical pitch movements the telemetry file ends suggesting a sudden loss of power. That would be possible if the battery was dislodged by the rapid pitch at that point.

flight plus st16.jpg

This shows the flight path in blue and the controller location (red) moving from the driveway into the trees. It seems like it would be difficult to see the H from where the controller is located in the trees even if the leaves are gone.
Immediately after a couple of radical pitch movements the telemetry file ends suggesting a sudden loss of power. That would be possible if the battery was dislodged by the rapid pitch at that point.

View attachment 5449

My thoughts exactly, no sudden voltage drop, no errors, just a sudden blackout seems to suggest battery came off.. This doesn't have much to do with the power loss: but the over the top height still makes me wonder if it was being reported accurately by the aircraft or simply changed max height via GUI..

Last edited:
Really cool that you guys can log that.

The Google Earth pic shows the area it went down during the summer. Right now the trees are bare so i could see the drone very easily. This property will be for sale so i flew the drone over it from the owner's house to take pictures of the area to make a marketing video/flyer.

This flight log is from my first incident that they covered under warranty.

My thoughts exactly, no sudden voltage drop, no errors, just a sudden blackout seems to suggest battery came off.. This doesn't have much to do with the power loss: but the over the top height still makes me wonder if it was being reported accurately by the aircraft or simply changed max height via GUI..
I think if the ST16 is set to Imperial the telemetry is recorded in feet. I'll try to confirm that with my telemetry. If so the altitude would be 200'.

I have experienced the propellers not ramping down upon landing. I later determined that if the landing surface was not reasonably level, the propellers continue to spin at a high rate and will cause a tip-over crash. From that point on, I always make sure my landing area is reasonably level.

I have experienced the propellers not ramping down upon landing. I later determined that if the landing surface was not reasonably level, the propellers continue to spin at a high rate and will cause a tip-over crash. From that point on, I always make sure my landing area is reasonably level.
I was flying my H yesterday from a place where the take-off point had a noticeable incline. Since there was no flat place to land I chose to hand catch...something that I would normally avoid with the H, but it seemed to me to be a better option than risking a tip-over on landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis