Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No confidence in the H at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes a few moments. Don't know why the disarm button didn't work, unless the angle of your finger didn't quite fully depress it.

If you feel this is incorrect, please call us at 844-898-6332 and reference your case number. We will reopen your case and ensure we provide a complete resolution.

And the number they have is disconnected... lol

Strange, that number should be correct. I use it, with a 1 in front of course. Maybe they forgot to pay the bill? Kindly try it again.

Reactions: Jester
Same number I always call too. Having just called it to check, it works just fine.

Couple of important things to know about RTH.........

When you switch to RTH it switches to Smart Mode to fly back to the Controller. As it lands if you move the ST16 then the H will move in the same direction. You could walk it into a tree, wall or person so don't move while it's landing in RTH.

The landing point in RTH is about 26' from the ST16 In The Line of Flight. It won't land behind you, nor to the side. Always in the direct line back to the ST16. If you are flying over water and you are on the shore, where is the H going to land???

If you can't see the H and you plan to use RTH, make certain you have enough altitude to clear everything. If you're not sure, then gain 50-100' to be safe. When you use RTH the H will not descend until it is directly overhead. It will not descend to the minimum altitude you set for RTH. It will maintain it's current altitude as long as you are higher than the RTH altitude setting.

you all have have given me good points and i appreciate it. It's great to learn new things especially when mistakes with these can be expensive.

Few notes, i've sent the telemetry to them, so let's see what they say. I am curious myself.

Second, i'm not a complete amateur, so i do know how the thing works. It did not power down or reduce propeller speed as it should of. It's done it before and it should of done it.

Third, if i made a user error, it was probably approaching the drone while it was on the ground, LANDED with the propellers still spinning at full speed... again, i did this because of the fact that it would not power down and i thought in a moment of slight panic that i should try to grab it before it crashed.... that was not happening.

Fourth, i don't think it matters how you fly it back to land it. RTH, angle mode, smart mode... whatever, it shouldn't matter. I realize if it is in smart mode and you have walked with the st16 it's going to also move proportionately. I get that, and that's also why you can adjust it slightly by moving where you are standing. If you see that it's going to land in a bad spot, take it off RTH and land it manually.... done this many times with the Chroma 4K.

Lastly, to me this all boils down to one thing... why, when it was on the ground, did it keep tipping up as if it wanted to take off again and it would not power down? Why did it do that? That's the kicker to me. If it was my fault, i'll pay for the repair and move on. If not, then i'v had two issues within a month with this drone.

I have not been able to use this expense for work for a month because it's been either under water, in route shipping, or broken again... so no matter what this all sucks!

Strange, that number should be correct. I use it, with a 1 in front of course. Maybe they forgot to pay the bill? Kindly try it again.

I wonder if they had a phone issue yesterday. I tried calling both the technical support number and the sales number and they both were disconnected. I tried for a few minutes, but never tried again. It could of certainly been a glitch since i've used the number several times now.

i was attempting to do a compass calibration yesterday and by about the 3rd turn over the H just turned itself off !!......I was getting pissed by 4th attempt as it kept shutting down. Suspecting the battery I tried another battery and it worked fine........no way im using that battery again !!!!
To add to my woes ive got sticking sliders for both camera tilt and speed slider despite calibrating them time and time again. Then if it couldnt get any worse I noticed the yaw was almost non existent and almost flew into some trees as it wouldnt turn........checked the hardware settings and they were barely hitting 40% travel ffs............so I kept doing recalibration of all sticks and switches, and even though they were supposedly "passing" their test, I could see the figures were simply shite !! I have emailed Yuneec to send the ST16 back and send me one that works as there is no way I am flying this until everything checks out.

I had high hopes for yuneec but after the constant trials with this I shall not be buying another yuneec product !!

i was attempting to do a compass calibration yesterday and by about the 3rd turn over the H just turned itself off !!......I was getting pissed by 4th attempt as it kept shutting down. Suspecting the battery I tried another battery and it worked fine........no way im using that battery again !!!!
To add to my woes ive got sticking sliders for both camera tilt and speed slider despite calibrating them time and time again. Then if it couldnt get any worse I noticed the yaw was almost non existent and almost flew into some trees as it wouldnt turn........checked the hardware settings and they were barely hitting 40% travel ffs............so I kept doing recalibration of all sticks and switches, and even though they were supposedly "passing" their test, I could see the figures were simply shite !! I have emailed Yuneec to send the ST16 back and send me one that works as there is no way I am flying this until everything checks out.

I had high hopes for yuneec but after the constant trials with this I shall not be buying another yuneec product !!

Had a similar issue with mine Returned the ST16, and it was replaced all fine.
However since the I have had other issues.

Compass would not calibrate returned and replaced with brand new H

I now have a realsense fault which requires a return.

Can't fault the customer service in the UK but it is getting a bit expensive returning it all the time, luckily I have another Quad (phantom pro) so can still fly. Though you start to wonder about the reliability long term once the warranty runs out ? !

I'm very happy with my H advanced. Not the Pro. And without the realsense module.
i only had one problem due to a bad Firmware update on the ST16
And i solved it with the install of a new firmare version.
Otherwise no problems
I like flying with H more then flying with my DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

You almost never hear about users that are happy with their multicopter.
Only bad things are mentionned in this forum

Hope to hear from other users that are happy with the H

I'm very happy with my H advanced. Not the Pro. And without the realsense module.
i only had one problem due to a bad Firmware update on the ST16
And i solved it with the install of a new firmare version.
Otherwise no problems
I like flying with H more then flying with my DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

You almost never hear about users that are happy with their multicopter.
Only bad things are mentionned in this forum

Hope to hear from other users that are happy with the H

Agreed there was a rough start and some QC issues that came along with different components and their capabilities but since the latest firmware, my H is flying really great and reliably. I am still concerned with over heating when flying multiple batteries without long breaks as back to back flights make for a very hot drone. I've got a pre flight routine that always includes a compass calibration unless I'm still where I last calibrated. It's no sweat to do and for me, it is like checking oil levels before going on a long trip and it has become habit. I've become a local expert and have now upgraded my hobby shop owner TH that was still on original firmware. In short, if you actually take the time to learn this platform and it's behaviors, you will get great videos that's only limitation is your ability to pull off the shot based on your piloting skills and experience.

Regarding compass calibration..

So one video that Yuneec has on youtube has the guy doing the compass calibration in the studio. I'm assuming just because they were filming it for instructional purposes. The other video Yuneec has states to do it out in an open field away from power lines and to even cut off your cell phone.

For me, i do a lot of photography in the city because of real estate which is normally in some way around a power line at least. Is that a problem? I mean, it seems weird to take it out to a place that's in the open, calibrate the compass, box it back up and drive it back into town, take it out and i guess assume the compass is still calibrated?

Regarding compass calibration..

So one video that Yuneec has on youtube has the guy doing the compass calibration in the studio. I'm assuming just because they were filming it for instructional purposes. The other video Yuneec has states to do it out in an open field away from power lines and to even cut off your cell phone.

For me, i do a lot of photography in the city because of real estate which is normally in some way around a power line at least. Is that a problem? I mean, it seems weird to take it out to a place that's in the open, calibrate the compass, box it back up and drive it back into town, take it out and i guess assume the compass is still calibrated?

I hear you. I can calibrate in my studio parking lot that's got a low chain link fence around it plus billboard and two metal girders that support it and I've done it on roofs with mechanical all around me. If you have a spot that works and you get good GPS lock and no compass flashes then I'd not be concerned. I still adhere to what I learned from their first boards on the QX350 and that's to face north with as clear a view as I can get and turn steadily and keep it level. A rooftop can be a good spot and just find the spot that's not next to the main power for the building or next to large motors and your fine. The assumption is that it's EMF that you are trying to avoid? Maybe some member can weigh in and we can add EMF detection to our KP index and winds for our flight check.

Once you do a successful compass calibration and immediately get the H green light, you should not need to re-cal the compass unless you move to a location East or West by several hundred miles or more. An occasional quick compass light flash is no cause for concern.

That's exactly what i said i did. It did not shut down the spinning nor reduce the propeller speed.
You are not alone.
I, too, have had 3 occasions in which an attempt to land resulted in "bunny-hop" and erratic behavior.

The first instance, which ultimately broke 2 propellers and caused the gimbal to disconnect, I had written off to being in Obstacle Avoidance mode in a close area with several trees.

The 2nd and 3rd, however, I have yet to puzzle out. To the best of my knowledge, these were the parameters:

• Angle Mode
  • Obstacle Avoidance off
  • Steady landing
  • Continued pull on the stick waiting for the props to drop to half-speed
  • Pressing the red cut-off button
Instead of hearing the motors drop speed (which ideally should occur before you begin pressing the cut-off button), the motors revved up again and the aircraft began to rear back like a frightened horse.

I pushed up the throttle to get it off the ground before it tips over and try the landing sequence again.

On the 2nd occurrence, this happened 3 times before the aircraft would adopt an attitude of landing and drop the propeller speed.

On the 3rd occurrence, I achieved a successful landing on just the second try.

I've flown 3 times since and had no issues.

One thing I do know is that it is not difficult to have some of the many toggle switched bumped or otherwise set in positions other than expected or believed. I won't deny the possibility that things may have not been set correctly, but I'm definitely not aware of a combination that would explain this behavior.

There are downward facing sensors on my Typhoon H. I'm wondering if the speed at which one lands could affect whether or not the aircraft believes itself to be landing as opposed to simply too close the the ground and in need of evasive action. No matter how you look at it, this is a very unsettling experience.

So far, I have had no issues with flying the aircraft under my own skill/control. The only incidents I have ever encountered with the Typhoon H or my previous Phantom 3 have been result of automated features.

Reactions: concretejungle
It was a weekend, but i still have had no response on the telemetry from Yuneec.

I am not here to bash them, that truly is not why I posted.

Hopefully i will get a response. If i have to call them everyday to remind them to check the emails, that's a problem.

At this point, i'm not sure what to do. There is a big part of me that is thinking, get it fixed whether they fix it under warranty of i have to pay to repair it, and then SELL IT and move on to another brand. But then i'm also thinking that hopefully any learning curve is over and maybe i can expect smooth sailing or flying for here on out... i just don't know.

Was the ground fairly flat? I landed mine yesterday and one foot went in a dip in the grass and it was enough to not power down the motors as it should and attempt to correct itself. I immediately took off again before it flipped itself, shifted it to a different spot that was without dips and it was fine.

I have yet to hear of anyone that maintained pressure on the throttle stick having problems with landing. We are not done with a flight until the propellers have stopped and the aircraft is shut down.

Sorry that so many believe my posts to be too blunt or direct, but we need to accept responsibility for our failures to understand the systems and flight modes we fly and takes the steps necessary to assure we execute a flight safely from start to finish, with finish being the moment the aircraft is shut down.

BTW, what was the reason for posting this issue in at least two different forums?

Pat, i think your input is valuable and i'm not offended.

I have admitted that if i made a mistake it was approaching the drone in the "safety circle" which i was not aware of, while it was in "smart mode". I will not accept blame for holding the controller down and it not power down.

Two different forums? It was in the Typhoon H Discussion forum where someone else was having issues and i responded that i was too. Isn't that the purpose of discussion forums, to discuss?

I also have decided to sell the Typhoon as soon as it's sellable. I"m moving on.

That's exactly what i said i did. It did not shut down the spinning nor reduce the propeller speed.

The only time I've experienced the H refusing to idle motors was recently when I was testing it on strong winds, seemed the H was trying to stabilize itself while being pushed by the wind even thought it was already on the ground; I'm not blaming the unit for any fault though, I was well aware the strong winds would cause issues.

It takes a few moments. Don't know why the disarm button didn't work, unless the angle of your finger didn't quite fully depress it.

Also, when in "panic" the 3 seconds required to kill the motors might seem like a veeery long time, specially when the aircraft is tipping over.

Just FYI the data on the bottom right of the video means:

1286 - Throttle lowest value in Turtle mode.
676 - Throttle lowest value in Rabbit mode.
0 - Stop button being pressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33