Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No wind speed limit for H

Reaction score
I'm sure it's in there but I can't find it for the life of me... Does the manual state a maximum windspeed? I thought I'd seen one but went through it late last night (yes, I'm sad like that, it was on my mind...) and couldn't find a limit stated.

Anyone else struggle to find this? If you do know what it is, please could you quote the page number of the manual too, cheers!

When your H starts flying backwards when your pushing forward.. Lol Seriously I could not find it with search in the pdf manual. I've had mine out in 10-12 mph gusts and she was rock solid.

Reactions: David Wilson
I've owned the Q500 4K and the 'H' and I dont believe either operating manuals have any mention of maximum wind speed for safe flying. I would assume that if they posted something and someone had an incident that occured in 1 MPH greater conditions they would be liable for law suit, so it is safer for them to just say fly safe.
I DO know that the Q was ungamely in 10 - 12 mph winds whereas the 'H' I have had in 20+ mph winds (yes, I carry an anemometer with me whenever I fly) without even a budge on the aircraft.

Reactions: Bobjazz
I'm sure it's in there but I can't find it for the life of me... Does the manual state a maximum windspeed? I thought I'd seen one but went through it late last night (yes, I'm sad like that, it was on my mind...) and couldn't find a limit stated.

Anyone else struggle to find this? If you do know what it is, please could you quote the page number of the manual too, cheers!

I thought I had run across this somewhere, and I just found it. Regarding the RealSense Pro model...A black card, shipped with the unit, labeled "Obstacle Avoidance Limitations", states in one item "Max. wind load 12 MPH (19KPH)!". Of course with RS off this will not apply.

Reactions: Grocc21
I thought I had run across this somewhere, and I just found it. Regarding the RealSense Pro model...A black card, shipped with the unit, labeled "Obstacle Avoidance Limitations", states in one item "Max. wind load 12 MPH (19KPH)!". Of course with RS off this will not apply.
Does anyone know what they mean when they say, "wind load"? They didn't say, "wind speed".
I have not had to interrupt any of their other wordings as if they were translating Chinese into broken English so I am thinking wind load means something different than wind speed.

Find this
www.ehow.com/how_6104140_calculate-wind-loads-wind-speeds.html

Load is not the same as speed

I called Yuneec up on this and 3 CS rep stated that Yuneec does not recommend flying the Typhoon H when its windy. and when I asked how windy. They stated flying when there wind and a crash happens voids you warranty. They would not give me a speed of the wind, other then to finally say any wind. So I guessing they mean dead calm flying only.

With the H and any flying RC product, it's up to our best judgement. I've flown the H in strong 20mph winds and it did just fine. I don't think I would push it any further than that. And it does get windy here on the beach in Florida so there are days I don't go out and push my luck. Just get to know your machines and learn to trust your educated judgement.

Reactions: abinder
Use common sense. An experienced pilot should know what the limits are of their craft and be aware of the conditions they are flying in. If Yuneec says 20 mph, and you're out flying in measured 20 mph wind, then suddenly up where it can't be measured there is severe gusts/wind shear causing loss of control, should Yuneec be responsible?

I routinely fly in 20 mph when over Lake Huron without worry. I don't with the P4.

Common sense says don't fly during a typhoon, but Ming did it to prove a point. I certainly wouldn't. Know your limits. It isn't Yuneec's responsibility to spec out every last possible scenario that could happen.

The wind limit warning published for the H is very conservative. Perhaps to ease the leaning process for new fliers. Many consistently fly safely in winds above the published limitation. I've flown mine without issue with sustained wind speeds measured at 27mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tuppenceworth:
Although I have no doubt about the Hs ability to fly in a 20MPH wind, I have opted for something a bit more conservative in my Operations Manual, so I won't fly in anything above 14 knots (about 16 MPH), just to be on the safe side.

DSC_0190.jpg

I was flying yesterday by the coast and winds suddenly picked up to about 20 mph! Brought her back home safely. She was rock solid and hovered perfectly with a slight tilt into the wind. I love my H! (My Q500 had no control and drifted in these type of conditions in Hawaii last November) I did hand catch her since landing in these conditions is scary. Fly safe!

Reactions: Nuance
Put the nose into the wind and the H lands nicely with even higher winds. We only need to apply a little forward stick to counteract the wind as we ease off the throttle.

Put the nose into the wind and the H lands nicely with even higher winds. We only need to apply a little forward stick to counteract the wind as we ease off the throttle.

I'm talking about Santa Ana winds that blow from our desert to the coast. The are very unpredictable and at times act like windshear. Up and down drafts changing in seconds. I'm afraid my piloting skills are not as good as my catching skills. I have seen "minor" crashes of H's online and even just a slight tip over can destroy 4 or more props. :eek: Plus compared to my Q500, the H doesn't seem to have a true nose to me. But, thanks for letting me know she will land easily on her skids if needed. :D

I know about Santa Ana's. Used to live in the O. C. and have a go at flying two line kites at Huntington Beach. Usually ended up getting drug from the parking lot to the water and broke the kites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember though......if you are flying in high wind and you lose gps, you sure better know how to fly really well without it.
You should know how regardless:D

Use common sense. An experienced pilot should know what the limits are of their craft and be aware of the conditions they are flying in. If Yuneec says 20 mph, and you're out flying in measured 20 mph wind, then suddenly up where it can't be measured there is severe gusts/wind shear causing loss of control, should Yuneec be responsible?

I routinely fly in 20 mph when over Lake Huron without worry. I don't with the P4.

Common sense says don't fly during a typhoon, but Ming did it to prove a point. I certainly wouldn't. Know your limits. It isn't Yuneec's responsibility to spec out every last possible scenario that could happen.
An interesting point to note here is the location. He is flying at the top of an incline so the wind is not only horizontal but it is also trying to lift the H at the same time. This is why you always see seabirds circling at the top of cliffs on a windy day.
This is a great promotional tool and confidence builder for me.

The guys either got huge B_lls or deep pockets to take the risk of trashing it.

Reactions: film drone
He mentioned the wind speed in either a video or a back up post in another forum after first posting the video. The ability to control the H in slope lift, and the rotor behind the slope, was actually more impressive than the wind speed itself. The wind speed really wasn't that high.

You brought up a good point though. People flying small aircraft, or even very large ones, need to learn and understand the effects that terrain can have on wind. They need to determine the limitations of not just the aircraft, but also their competence with controlling the aircraft in an ever changing environment. In essence, they have to know their limitations and remain within them. As experience grows, so does competence, and they can expand their operational envelope accordingly. The H is an outstanding aircraft when used in windy conditions, and the published wind limitation is less than half of what it can safely and effectively handle. A greater limitation is found in the person flying it, and a 10 - 12mph limit works out pretty well for those just starting out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval