Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Now I am really POed

Just about any charger used for a tablet or phone rated at less than 2 amps will charge the ST-16 or STT-10+. I have only once used the factory charger on the transmitters for my H and Chroma. They do the job in less than half the time the factory chargers will.

Be happy a Li-on is used in the transmitter. You can charge one and leave it charged indefinitely with no harm to the battery. They handle the cold far better than li-poly. Energy density can be very high. I've used li-ons in my giant scale planes for years because they are safer, deliver over 50C in the better ones (think A123 before they folded), and require less space than a lo-poly. Most li-poly chargers can safely charge a Li-on. Use a slightly lower charge rate but change the cell voltage setting on the charger to 3.6v/cell. Some good reading in the linked article for those that want to learn about them.

How to charge Lithium ion Batteries, lithium polymer batteries, and lithium iron phosphate cells, lithium battery chargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: abinder and JohnL
You can charge the ST16 using nearly any USB charger with a mini USB connector. I have charged the ST16 many times just by connecting it to my computer.
I agree about using even the computer & USB to recharge the battery. One thing I dislike about the charger that comes with the Typhoon H, is that all I see is a green blinking light when I charge just the battery in the ST16. To check the charge level, I have to touch the screen on the ST16 to see the result. And if you charge using the computer's USB port, you still have to touch the screen to check the level.

Yuneec needs to update the charger so it will sound a signal to indicate when both the flight battery or the ST16 batteries are fully charged. As soon as I receive my charging adapters, I won't have to worry about the flight batteries. My charger will sound off and show the levels of each battery.

I agree about using even the computer & USB to recharge the battery. One thing I dislike about the charger that comes with the Typhoon H, is that all I see is a green blinking light when I charge just the battery in the ST16. To check the charge level, I have to touch the screen on the ST16 to see the result. And if you charge using the computer's USB port, you still have to touch the screen to check the level.

Yuneec needs to update the charger so it will sound a signal to indicate when both the flight battery or the ST16 batteries are fully charged. As soon as I receive my charging adapters, I won't have to worry about the flight batteries. My charger will sound off and show the levels of each battery.
I don't have the ST16 set up right now, but it seems to me there is a blue light that comes on after it's fully charged.

Had my ST-16 Fully charged.
Flew 2 batteries 1 down to first battery low warning, the other only about 10 minutes.
Brought everything home, charged up the first battery, went out to take some sunset video.
Flew around a bit and had the H hovering at about 25 feet right above me, and the battery in the ST-16 dies.
NO WARNING WHAT SO EVER just like you had removed the battery.
The H just sits there, blinking away in angle mode, no control input what so ever. I was hoping RTH would kick in and it would auto land, but NO. It does change the tail Light to RED (RTH) after time. The H just hovers away while panic sets in. Quick run in the house grab the car keys, plug the ST-16 into the USB charger in my car. After an eternity it turns back on (H is still @25' ) I get control reestablished and land the H. I was so lucky. Yuneec will be getting a phone call from me tomorrow.
1) Why NO low battery warning from the ST-16 battery? (display showed 1 bar down from full)
2) Why did the RTH function not kick in? The tail light did turn to RED.
3) When plugging the ST-16 into the Yuneec charger why does it show the battery still at 50% ?

I am not sure when the H went from Angle to RTH (according to the tail light) but it never did land. It never flew up to the 33' mark, or make any other attempt to change position. The H was less that 20 feet from my take off position.

I hope this is a one off problem, but until I receive some answers, keep an eye on your ST-16 battery.
I could have been 400' up and 1000' down range when this happened.

-------------

Just for grins mine said 75 percent charge I thought I would plug it in and see what happened, it showed about 25 percent on the graphic of the battery that pops up! I guess Ill go back to topping it off ever time I use it..

I don't have the ST16 set up right now, but it seems to me there is a blue light that comes on after it's fully charged.

I checked the operator's manual, but it says nothing about the blue light. I see it blink a couple times when I powered up the charger, but it didn't stay on. However, the decal on the charger says there is an error if the blue light blinks or comes on solid. So hope we never get a blue light! I've got my ST16 charging right now, but it was at 61% and will probably take a couple hours before it's fully charged.

Ok, it's now 2.5 hours later and my ST16 battery is 100% charged and ready. The charger didn't make any sound and the green light kept on blinking. So charging with the charger that comes with the Typhoon H doesn't give a clue on what percentage completed or any audible alert regarding the internal battery of the ST16.

Last edited:
I now only charge mine using my Hitec charger. I trust the information on charge level from that better then what the ST-16 reads, plus it is faster.

Reactions: JohnL
I now only charge mine using my Hitec charger. I trust the information on charge level from that better then what the ST-16 reads, plus it is faster.

So how do you connect the ST16 battery to your Hitec charger? Did you make a charging cable for it. I haven't tried to connect mine since it appears to have a different type connector on the battery than what my Hitec charger has. It would sure be simple enough to make a cable. I have a few spare T-60 connectors.

My standard H battery charger lets off a long audible beep when the flight batteries are charged,never used it for the st16 tho as just use my phone charger,

So how do you connect the ST16 battery to your Hitec charger? Did you make a charging cable for it. I haven't tried to connect mine since it appears to have a different type connector on the battery than what my Hitec charger has. It would sure be simple enough to make a cable. I have a few spare T-60 connectors.

You need a EC2 male to Banana plug connector http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272328056086?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Make sure there are MALE pins. Most any hobby store carries them.

You need a EC2 male to Banana plug connector http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272328056086?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Make sure there are MALE pins. Most any hobby store carries them.

Ok, that's simple enough. I already have a pair of banana plugs that came with wire installed. All I need to get is the EC2 connector and solder the wires to it.

Earlier I mentioned the PC-Link USB adapter. Well, guess what I found inside the box my Hitec charger came with! That's right, the adapter!! I guess I ordered it and a temp sensor when I bought my charger a couple years ago. There was a packet that had extra wires and those two items included. Now I just need to download the software that uses the PC-Link adapter.

Thanks to everyone who helped with their comments on this!

I checked the operator's manual, but it says nothing about the blue light. I see it blink a couple times when I powered up the charger, but it didn't stay on. However, the decal on the charger says there is an error if the blue light blinks or comes on solid. So hope we never get a blue light! I've got my ST16 charging right now, but it was at 61% and will probably take a couple hours before it's fully charged.

Ok, it's now 2.5 hours later and my ST16 battery is 100% charged and ready. The charger didn't make any sound and the green light kept on blinking. So charging with the charger that comes with the Typhoon H doesn't give a clue on what percentage completed or any audible alert regarding the internal battery of the ST16.
Oops......my mistake. The blue light is on the ST10. Never pay much attention because when I charge the controller I just leave it overnight.

Buy a small separate battery tester.
Worth noting that electronic equipment often uses an algorithm to determine a batteries capacity rather than a direct indication like a petrol gauge. This means it will show capacity based on current usage so if you put the H into a full throttle climb then the charge indicator 'may' show a lower charge than if you are hovering, descending (maybe).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33