Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Obstacle Avoidance

Reaction score
I was getting different behavior with obstacle avoidance after the firmware update so I wanted to use today's flight to have a good run through of the system. I discovered some interesting things. At least some things that are new to me.

1. Obstacle avoidance (OA) works differently if the landing gear is down. If the landing gear is up H will back away if an obstacle approaches it. If the landing gear is down, it doesn't. With gear down it will stop moving forward if it detects an object but it won't back up if the object moves towards it. I think this may be to enable pilots to grab the H in the air with OA on.

2. OA is smarter than I thought. With gear up, if you go towards an object it will stop. After that until H is flown away a certain distance from the obstacle it remembers where the object is. For example if you fly towards your house and H will stop before hitting it. At this point, if you turn the H 180 degrees so the back of the drone is towards the house and front of it looking away from the house with no obstacles in sensor range. As we know there are no sensors in the back, despite that, if you try to back the H into the house by pulling the right stick back, H won't back up. I tested this multiple times and trying the same thing with H's side towards the house. After it detects the object you won't be able to fly towards it, even backwards, until the H is far enough away from the object to reset the OA.

3. OA is not all smart though. As soon as H is away from the object and OA system forgets the object's location. For example, you fly towards your house, H stops before hitting it. You do a 180 degree turn, H won't back into the house with right stick controls. You fly forward 20-30 ft, the white lights are back to normal. You now actually can fly backwards and hit the house, H has forgotten all about the obstacle.

Despite not being super smart, I think it is way smarter than I thought which came to me as a good surprise. I never use OA but it is good to know that it works well when you are teaching noobs how to fly.

I can't wait to see what Realsense will be able to do. If the realsense can use the information from the sonar sensors it will really be able to operate well in bright conditions as well.

I was getting different behavior with obstacle avoidance after the firmware update so I wanted to use today's flight to have a good run through of the system. I discovered some interesting things. At least some things that are new to me.

1. Obstacle avoidance (OA) works differently if the landing gear is down. If the landing gear is up H will back away if an obstacle approaches it. If the landing gear is down, it doesn't. With gear down it will stop moving forward if it detects an object but it won't back up if the object moves towards it. I think this may be to enable pilots to grab the H in the air with OA on.

2. OA is smarter than I thought. With gear up, if you go towards an object it will stop. After that until H is flown away a certain distance from the obstacle it remembers where the object is. For example if you fly towards your house and H will stop before hitting it. At this point, if you turn the H 180 degrees so the back of the drone is towards the house and front of it looking away from the house with no obstacles in sensor range. As we know there are no sensors in the back, despite that, if you try to back the H into the house by pulling the right stick back, H won't back up. I tested this multiple times and trying the same thing with H's side towards the house. After it detects the object you won't be able to fly towards it, even backwards, until the H is far enough away from the object to reset the OA.

3. OA is not all smart though. As soon as H is away from the object and OA system forgets the object's location. For example, you fly towards your house, H stops before hitting it. You do a 180 degree turn, H won't back into the house with right stick controls. You fly forward 20-30 ft, the white lights are back to normal. You now actually can fly backwards and hit the house, H has forgotten all about the obstacle.

Despite not being super smart, I think it is way smarter than I thought which came to me as a good surprise. I never use OA but it is good to know that it works well when you are teaching noobs how to fly.

I can't wait to see what Realsense will be able to do. If the realsense can use the information from the sonar sensors it will really be able to operate well in bright conditions as well.

For #1, if that is the case then YUNEEC must have added that for landing purposes. If you land with OA engaged, the "H" won't back up as it lands near an object. This is a good thing.

Reactions: Nic

Thanks!!! This is good info. Although I see youtube videos that people post with the landing gear down and H still back up

It would be cool if OA could be integrated with Google Maps or Earth
so the system would map and remember the area you have flown.
Maybe the info could be shared with other users to build up a 3D map.
Wouldn't be surprised if RealSense could do this sort of thing coming from the stable that it does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal