Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Ops Manual Revision

I'd be very interested to hear if they pass your amended ops manual or not. I will be amending mine but not applying for a continuation of my PFCO. I'd just like to know exactly what they would like including. Yes, I included a short section on AAIB last year. I just said something like it was all done electronically. Didn't go into too much detail and they passed it like that. I think they just want to know that you know what the correct procedure is.....
Well, like I've previously said in an earlier post, I've never had an Ops Manual rejected so far...but their's always a first time. The three main things I did with it was to include a section on night flights, some stuff about protected airspace around aerodromes, and stuff on AAIB, Yes, I already had a section on MORS but I was made aware that just having MORS is not enough for the CAA these days. I also tinkered around in other places too.

It'll take them up to six weeks to approve it (my last application just took four weeks to come through), so I'll let you know when I know something.

Reactions: Ren57
Hi! I too just renewed my permit, yes it was a struggle and this was about 4 weeks before the new regs kicked in. Now it's been reissued I'm having to update it again in order to stay ahead of the game. I also went through RUSTA for my initial PfCO and recently training and evaluation for fixed wing and very good it was too despite the arctic wind during January.
Playing devil's advocate however the CAA (Cash Again and Again) were really helpful and accommodating when I called to get clarification on my ops manual rejection(s). So despite their reputation they are ready to help.
And going by previous posts check out my Triumph America limited edition.
DSC_0179[1].JPG

Sweet.....one of my MC Brothers has a Rocket III Touring......man that thing is an absolute BEAST! Outside the drag racing group, he’s got the fastest bike.....by far.

Thanks and yes, they are big beasts, I'm way too short to plant myself on that size frame.
Going off topic <sorry!> I also used to be a PADI diver. Got too the heights, err.. I mean depths of a Divemaster and worked out in the Caribbean in the early 90's.

Cheers

Hi! I too just renewed my permit, yes it was a struggle and this was about 4 weeks before the new regs kicked in. Now it's been reissued I'm having to update it again in order to stay ahead of the game. I also went through RUSTA for my initial PfCO and recently training and evaluation for fixed wing and very good it was too despite the arctic wind during January.
Playing devil's advocate however the CAA (Cash Again and Again) were really helpful and accommodating when I called to get clarification on my ops manual rejection(s). So despite their reputation they are ready to help.
And going by previous posts check out my Triumph America limited edition.
View attachment 15772
Fortunately, I revised my ops manual for submission last week, well after the latest amendment (13 February) to the ANO. I nearly missed the bit about the AAIB reporting and only picked up on it when I was completing the on-line application form. I aborted the application and spent the next several hours to include a section on that and submitted it later that evening.

Nice bike by the way:cool:

? Good luck. Thankfully I managed to renew the PfCO just before the latest amendment but still having to update anyway. I'll pay particular attention to the AAIB reporting as I don't think I've read that part yet.
Q. Did the limits for a congested area come down to 50 metres in the amendments before last? If so it looks like its gone back up to 150 metres again.
Thanks.

? Good luck. Thankfully I managed to renew the PfCO just before the latest amendment but still having to update anyway. I'll pay particular attention to the AAIB reporting as I don't think I've read that part yet.
Q. Did the limits for a congested area come down to 50 metres in the amendments before last? If so it looks like its gone back up to 150 metres again.
Thanks.
As I understand the law...
Hobby pilots have always been restricted to a minimum 150m from a congested area. This, as far as I know, has never been altered...at least since January 2015 when I first started flying multi-rotors.

For the last several years PfCO pilots on a standard permission have always benefited from the congested areas restriction being eased to 50m. I am not aware that this has changed and still looked to be at 50m when I did my research for revising my Ops Manual the other week. You are aware that both hobby and PfCO pilots can fly over small groups of people or individual dwellings so long as we are separated by a 50m 'bubble' but I'm not so clear as to if this is the case for PfCO pilots flying over a congested area (hobby pilot's certainlty can't since they have to stay beyond 150m but also have to stay below 400'). Looking at the info I've seen it would appear that a PfCO pilot may fly over a congested area so long as he/she stays more than 50m above it. Generally, I'm not happy about flying over people, whether it as an individual, a small group, of a larger group. My belief is that such flights are better avoided.

A distinction should be pointed out, but I'm sure you are aware of this. A congested area is one thing, but the law looks differently at a place with more than a thousand people present...like a football stadium while a game is in progress, say. In such a place both hobby and PfCO holders must stay at least 150m away...there is no leeway given to PfCO holders in this respect.

Thanks. I think I just read the regulation all wrong and I appreciate the clarification. Yes I was aware of the difference between a congested area and that of a thousand people or more. Totally agree with you in regards to flying over people.
Thanks again.

As I understand the law...
Hobby pilots have always been restricted to a minimum 150m from a congested area. This, as far as I know, has never been altered...at least since January 2015 when I first started flying multi-rotors.

For the last several years PfCO pilots on a standard permission have always benefited from the congested areas restriction being eased to 50m. I am not aware that this has changed and still looked to be at 50m when I did my research for revising my Ops Manual the other week. You are aware that both hobby and PfCO pilots can fly over small groups of people or individual dwellings so long as we are separated by a 50m 'bubble' but I'm not so clear as to if this is the case for PfCO pilots flying over a congested area (hobby pilot's certainlty can't since they have to stay beyond 150m but also have to stay below 400'). Looking at the info I've seen it would appear that a PfCO pilot may fly over a congested area so long as he/she stays more than 50m above it. Generally, I'm not happy about flying over people, whether it as an individual, a small group, of a larger group. My belief is that such flights are better avoided.

A distinction should be pointed out, but I'm sure you are aware of this. A congested area is one thing, but the law looks differently at a place with more than a thousand people present...like a football stadium while a game is in progress, say. In such a place both hobby and PfCO holders must stay at least 150m away...there is no leeway given to PfCO holders in this respect.
I had cause to speak with someone at the CAA yesterday regarding congested areas and PfCO flyers. This was after receiving an email from them that contained my renewed PfCO. In that email they reminded me that while flying in a congested area I should still maintain a 50m bubble around people and such like. A quick 'phone call to the CAA confirmed this.

A PfCO pilot may enter a congested area so long as he keeps his aircraft more than 50m away from people, vehicles, etc, not under the pilot's control. A hobby pilot must stay 150m away from a congested area. Since he will be restricted to flying below 400 feet he will not be able to fly over that congested area.

It'll take them up to six weeks to approve it (my last application just took four weeks to come through), so I'll let you know when I know something.
@Ren57
My renewed PfCO came through yesterday. Exactly one calendar month from when I submitted my Ops Manual. :)

Reactions: Ren57

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwclarc1