Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Orientation during flight

Reaction score
Has anyone found it difficult to keep oriented with the it being a Hexa? I don't have mine yet but was thinking about it the other day. I'm assuming people fly in headless mode but I'm not sure.
Has anyone colored the arms to indicate the front of the unit?

If you have only flown quads then yeah, it takes some getting use to. Not that difficult of a transition though imo. :)

So far I have not found it to be a problem. I typically fly in angle mode and if worried about orientation I flick the pan switch back up and the camera swings back to pointing forward allowing you to see which way you are facing. With smart mode it is even easier back on the right stick always comes back to you but have not been disoriented enough to require it.

Plus generally if its getting bigger its coming back and smaller its flying away ;-)

Here is a pretty good video demonstrating what to do when you lose orientation. Just as valid for hexes as for quads. Everyone should learn how to fly using these methods if you ever want hope to save your aircraft someday. HTH.

Reactions: Forrestt and Sharpe
Has anyone found it difficult to keep oriented with the it being a Hexa? I don't have mine yet but was thinking about it the other day. I'm assuming people fly in headless mode but I'm not sure.
Has anyone colored the arms to indicate the front of the unit?
While looking at the controller you will see a green arrow. When the arrow is point up, the front is facing you, so pushing the right stick forward will fly it back to you. Anytime you push the right stick in the same direction the arrow is pointing, it will always fly to you.

Which is.......?
Sorry, didn't mean to leave you hanging (having concentration "issues"). For years I've wired LED strobe lights into my homebuilds to help me with orientation, especially at dusk or at night. I've always used Flytron products. Now I see they have come out with this little standalone, 3W strobe doohicky that you don't have to wire into your system. Take a look:
STROBON Standalone - Flytron

Thanks for that John... Any idea of the viewable distance?
Well, I'm just guessing here based on my own experience, but you can easily spot the strobing light from 1000m away. A year or so ago I was flying my F550 build just after dusk in the dead of winter and the copter was completely invisible against a the semi-dark, cloudy sky...this was probably about 500m away at the time. Flicked the switch on my Taranis controller (I had the strobe lights tied into my Rx and then programmed a switch on my Taranis Tx) and boom, instant and crystal clear identification of position.:)

It mentions "stand alone" as in separate battery...bias this the one you're familiar with?
Dusk, semi cloudy isn't a problem here in Oz... Bright sunlight is... Any trials on that please?

It mentions "stand alone" as in separate battery...bias this the one you're familiar with?
Dusk, semi cloudy isn't a problem here in Oz... Bright sunlight is... Any trials on that please?
Yes, they built this thing with a very tiny rechargeable LiPo. And yes, you can see the strobe in bright sunlight. The thing is 3W! Before with their other strobes you had to wire them into your system and provide a 5V supply with constant current. Not hard to do but required a little time and patience. Now the thing has it's own supply, so all you have to do is velcro it to something. Downside is that it's not controllable by Rx, so you turn it on and it stays on until you land and turn it off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval