Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Petition against the UK drone registration scheme

I doubt there are 10,000 of us in the UK, so even if we all signed it, it still wouldn't get as far as a response from the government. It's only £20 - sure, not the $5 the US can do it for, but there's a lot less of us, so that is perhaps to be expected. It's still a relatively tiny cost, so I'll just pay up and look good.

Last edited:
Reactions: thetrecker
I am with you @AeroJ it's not going to break the bank and I think we should be registered if you have nothing to hide and fly by the rules then it won't be a problem, and we were aware it was coming

I think it might be more useful if everyone replied to the CAA consultation request (although it closes today). I have replied expressing my view that the CAA already have a database of drone pilots through their PfCO scheme, and these have already demonstrated competence. There is no point in including PfCO holders in a secondary scheme. The proposed registration scheme should therefore be for recreational flyers only.

Reactions: FlushVision
I am with you @AeroJ it's not going to break the bank and I think we should be registered if you have nothing to hide and fly by the rules then it won't be a problem, and we were aware it was coming
It's not the cost that I disagree with as regards registration, although I'm sure that the cost will increase year on year. No, it's the implication of what could happen. Scenario: I live 3 miles LOS from Manchester International Airport. So when the time comes I register my drones like a good bunny. Then some bellend, who isn't registered goes and flies a drone near to the airport. What door do you think the Peelers are going to come knocking on? Taking away my drones, my computers WTF! Doesn't matter if I'm proved completely innocent in the end, it's hassle and stress I could certainly do without. Just remember what happened to that guy when the Gatwick incident happened.... Arrested, dragged to the cop-shop and questioned... And that was just because some busy body told the Peelers that he had a drone. The fact that he had a perfectly good alibi (he was at work at the time) didn't stop the Peelers dragging him off for questioning!

I thought the cost was gonna be £16.50 per year. Not an amount that is gonna break the bank but this is PER YEAR. Not the $5.00 for (I think) every 3 years that our USA friends pay. I agree with @Ren57 about getting a knock on the door just because you have been identified as a drone owner living near to an airport when a Gatwick like incident kicks off. Incidentally, I still think that was all very suspect...still no solid proof despite everyone and his dog having a camera in the shape of a 'phone.

End of the day, problems are gonna be caused by pilots who haven't registered...exactly the sort of people that the CAA should go after. Not the responsible pilots. Rant over...I'll go and lie down now.

It's not the cost that I disagree with as regards registration, although I'm sure that the cost will increase year on year. No, it's the implication of what could happen. Scenario: I live 3 miles LOS from Manchester International Airport. So when the time comes I register my drones like a good bunny. Then some bellend, who isn't registered goes and flies a drone near to the airport. What door do you think the Peelers are going to come knocking on? Taking away my drones, my computers WTF! Doesn't matter if I'm proved completely innocent in the end, it's hassle and stress I could certainly do without. Just remember what happened to that guy when the Gatwick incident happened.... Arrested, dragged to the cop-shop and questioned... And that was just because some busy body told the Peelers that he had a drone. The fact that he had a perfectly good alibi (he was at work at the time) didn't stop the Peelers dragging him off for questioning!
so the fact that i have facebook and on this forum and post my videos to youtube is irrelevant as the police don't look at Facebook or other sources for drone owners
i think your a little paranoid there with the nocking on the door as the police will already be aware that you own a drone trust me
it will just mean that they can legally have it on record
the Gatwick incident was an arouse and the arrest was just part of it, we will never really learn what happened there. I just did a search and can't find an update about the couple who were arrested was this a part of the setup ??

the registration is happening and we can't stop it and if a police officer asks if I am registered when I am about to fly I will be able to say yes and that also means that I am aware of the UK drone laws and possibly a competent flyer. Anybody can take my car reg and pass it to the police for them to find me
i also have a helicopter base 2 miles from my house ok its not an airport but i have to be aware of low flying helicopters almost every time i fly around here

so the fact that i have facebook and on this forum and post my videos to youtube is irrelevant as the police don't look at Facebook or other sources for drone owners
i think your a little paranoid there with the nocking on the door as the police will already be aware that you own a drone trust me
it will just mean that they can legally have it on record
Yes the Peelers do look at Facebook and all forms of social media as a matter of course. And I am not paranoid in any way shape or form. If someone flies a drone illegally near Manchester airport, the Peelers will come knocking on the doors of everyone who is registered who lives nearby, including mine. That's the whole idea of having drone registration, what would be the point otherwise?! And they will have the powers to take away my drones and computers. What! Do you really think that they'll just believe me when I tell them it wasn't me and go on their merry way?

The proposed scheme is off-putting and my bet is that a lot of casual flyers will not bother to register. However, it might not do most of them any good as you can bet D** know where their pilots are and if D** knows, then that data will be supplied to the authorities when requested.

The registration requirements seem appear onerous when compared to Ireland (where I am already registered) which charges 5euro for a one-off registration and France which makes no charge.

The proposed scheme is off-putting and my bet is that a lot of casual flyers will not bother to register. However, it might not do most of them any good as you can bet D** know where their pilots are and if D** knows, then that data will be supplied to the authorities when requested.

The registration requirements seem appear onerous when compared to Ireland (where I am already registered) which charges 5euro for a one-off registration and France which makes no charge.
when you read this and think about our rules (regardless of price ) and the US registration is it really that bad.
France law ( All drones of 800g or more must be registered by their owner on AlphaTango, the public portal for users of remotely piloted aircraft. The drone then receives a registration number that must be affixed permanently, visibly, on the drone and must allow reading at a distance of 30 centimeters, with the naked eye. The drone pilot must be able to provide proof of registration in the event of a check.)

to me its just the same as having car registration.
we are being spied on all the time anyway.
Saying that also makes it easy to find the Gatwick drone flyer if there really was one what with all the cameras around the m25 and around Gatwick.
just driving around London and your car registration is logged and checked (ANPR camera ) and around Gatwick

@Ren57 as for the power to take your drone and pc 1 why the pc it would be unrelated as all data is stored on the drone 2 the drone they can only take if they have evidence that it was you in the first place regardless of anything they say to you as there is no law that allows them to take it without that
( there may have been a bill in parliament that gave them that power but it is not part of common law so it is not law and if you no that you can refuse they must have a warrant and to get that they have to have proof you committed the crime or enough proof that you may have to get the warrant to prove it ) most people would just give their drone to them thinking they have that power when they actually don't

British police have very little power when you teach yourself this you then also know how to talk to them and how to deal with them
also have to remember they work for me and you not for any corporation

when you read this and think about our rules (regardless of price ) and the US registration is it really that bad.
France law ( All drones of 800g or more must be registered by their owner on AlphaTango, the public portal for users of remotely piloted aircraft. The drone then receives a registration number that must be affixed permanently, visibly, on the drone and must allow reading at a distance of 30 centimeters, with the naked eye. The drone pilot must be able to provide proof of registration in the event of a check.)

Saying that also makes it easy to find the Gatwick drone flyer if there really was one what with all the cameras around the m25 and around Gatwick.
just driving around London and your car registration is logged and checked (ANPR camera ) and around Gatwick

@Ren57 as for the power to take your drone and pc 1 why the pc it would be unrelated as all data is stored on the drone 2 the drone they can only take if they have evidence that it was you in the first place regardless of anything they say to you as there is no law that allows them to take it without that
( there may have been a bill in parliament that gave them that power but it is not part of common law so it is not law and if you no that you can refuse they must have a warrant and to get that they have to have proof you committed the crime or enough proof that you may have to get the warrant to prove it ) most people would just give their drone to them thinking they have that power when they actually don't

British police have very little power when you teach yourself this you then also know how to talk to them and how to deal with them
So the cops knock on my door and say "You're a registered drone flyer and there's been an incident near to the airport we want to examine your drone". I say "It wasn't me officer. Bye bye, be on your way". Later, they knock on my door again with a warrant. They don't need any proof to get a warrant, just a supposed suspicion. And computers and all data recording devices are included in what they can take away as evidence for examination. Two years later, they tell me "Thanks, you're in the clear, we know it wasn't you. Your drones were not even airborne on the date of the incident". And two years is a conservative estimate of how long they will have your stuff if they take it away. I've heard cases when people have never got their stuff back when the cops have taken it away. Even when proved completely innocent of any offence.

When registration happens, I will register my drones at the address of my holiday home in Wales in any case. Over a hundred miles from where I live and not an airport in sight. I do most of my flying there anyway. I wouldn't even attempt to fly anywhere near my permanent address because of the location of an international airport. That's because I am a responsible drone pilot and previous holder of a PFCO. Drone registration is a complete waste of time, because all the drone flyers that do fly near airports or in towns or over property and people in congested areas..... Well they will be the first one's to rush to register won't they?!!

I've just looked at the petition and signed it, even though as AeroJ says, I doubt if there are even 10k of us in the UK. Judging by the amount who have bothered to sign it 1,181 when I signed it, that seems to be case. Another complete over estimation of the number of drone owners in the UK by the CAA. 180k? No chance! I doubt there's 5K.

Another complete over estimation of the number of drone owners in the UK by the CAA. 180k? No chance! I doubt there's 5K.
Like you, I too don't believe that there are 180K owners in the U.K. judging by the lack of other owners I've seen flying when I've been out and about. In almost 5 years of flying drones I can count the number of other people I've seen out flying on just one hand. However, I think there are prolly loads of aircraft out there: A single owner having multiple aircraft (I have 3) or aircraft that aren't able to fly any more because of crash damage.

By the way, Flying in a congested area and over people IS legal if flying under PfCO exemptions to the ANO, so long as you remain 50mtrs away from people and houses not under your control (30mtrs during take-off and landing), although it is illegal for a hobby pilot to fly in a congested area. I know that you know this, Ren57...I only include this for clarification to others.

I am doing a commercial job tomorrow which is in a very congested area...A roof inspection that would be impossible to do without a 'PfCO exemption to the ANO'.

Reactions: Ren57
Like you, I too don't believe that there are 180K owners in the U.K. judging by the lack of other owners I've seen flying when I've been out and about. In almost 5 years of flying drones I can count the number of other people I've seen out flying on just one hand. However, I think there are prolly loads of aircraft out there: A single owner having multiple aircraft (I have 3) or aircraft that aren't able to fly any more because of crash damage.

By the way, Flying in a congested area and over people IS legal if flying under PfCO exemptions to the ANO, so long as you remain 50mtrs away from people and houses not under your control (30mtrs during take-off and landing), although it is illegal for a hobby pilot to fly in a congested area. I know that you know this, Ren57...I only include this for clarification to others.

I am doing a commercial job tomorrow which is in a very congested area...A roof inspection that would be impossible to do without a 'PfCO exemption to the ANO'.
Yes I have 4, of which only 2 are still operational. The none operational drones I have could become operational again if I was willing to put a bit of time, effort and money into them. But I don't see that happening any time soon. I still think the CAA have way over estimated the number of drones there are in the UK though. As with other big boys toys, such as cars or motorcycles. I've owned more than 1 at some point in my life. But I could only ever drive or ride 1 at a time. That is the same with a drone, I can only fly one at any one time.....

We have to do and pass a 20 question test getting them all correct and then print off a cert. So we have to have the reg number on each craft, carry both the registration certs and test cert with us. We should also have have insurance cover even for leisure use. For flying we have to refer to the map and observe flying restrictions and there are many of them. I am not supposed to fly in my garden of 1.5 acres because of restrictions (not near an airfield), but can fly less than half a mile down the road. It's free to do all of these, but if you fly and don't have them - that's another story.

Last edited:

I've seen plenty ar different beauty spots around the country, an awful lot of small excempt ones with families and children, quite a few along the route "Flying Scotsman" took last week I suspect there's quite a few, but we'll never know the true amount.

So the cops knock on my door and say "You're a registered drone flyer and there's been an incident near to the airport we want to examine your drone". I say "It wasn't me officer. Bye bye, be on your way". Later, they knock on my door again with a warrant. They don't need any proof to get a warrant, just a supposed suspicion. And computers and all data recording devices are included in what they can take away as evidence for examination. Two years later, they tell me "Thanks, you're in the clear, we know it wasn't you. Your drones were not even airborne on the date of the incident". And two years is a conservative estimate of how long they will have your stuff if they take it away. I've heard cases when people have never got their stuff back when the cops have taken it away. Even when proved completely innocent of any offence.

This is the UK though, where police are, on the whole, pretty reasonable people. I think they might contact drone owners near the area of any incident, but I would hope that I could invite them in, download my logs in front of them, and actively show them that I wasn't in the air at the time. I think you'd be unlucky if they still wanted to confiscate your drone for analysis after that. You've been nothing but helpful, and ruled yourself out of their enquiries - they have no reason to get hostile with you in such circumstances.

This is the UK though, where police are, on the whole, pretty reasonable people. I think they might contact drone owners near the area of any incident, but I would hope that I could invite them in, download my logs in front of them, and actively show them that I wasn't in the air at the time. I think you'd be unlucky if they still wanted to confiscate your drone for analysis after that. You've been nothing but helpful, and ruled yourself out of their enquiries - they have no reason to get hostile with you in such circumstances.
That sounds perfectly reasonable but I'm afraid that's not the way it works. The police person knocking on your door won't be trained to understand logs. They probably won't know the first thing about drones whatsoever. They'll want to cart your stuff off for someone that is so called 'qualified' to carry out that task at some future date. You'll be lucky if you ever see your property again and if you do, it'll be years down the line. And just a word to the wise. No matter how helpful you think you are being, you never EVER invite the police into your property. They may appear to be perfectly reasonable people but trust me, they'll be looking to screw you for anything that they can.....

That sounds perfectly reasonable but I'm afraid that's not the way it works. The police person knocking on your door won't be trained to understand logs. They probably won't know the first thing about drones whatsoever. They'll want to cart your stuff off for someone that is so called 'qualified' to carry out that task at some future date. You'll be lucky if you ever see your property again and if you do, it'll be years down the line. And just a word to the wise. No matter how helpful you think you are being, you never EVER invite the police into your property. They may appear to be perfectly reasonable people but trust me, they'll be looking to screw you for anything that they can.....
I live about 16 miles (as the crow flies) to the North East of Manchester Airport...it being the nearest airport to me, so I'm not in the immediate vicinity of an airport to expect the rozzers to come knocking at my door if some prat does silly things over that airport. But I agree with you @Ren57 , you can't rely on a rozzer to be reasonable. Some are reasonable, but you just can't rely on that. The minute you invite them in you have lost your first line of defense.

My commercial insurance policy covers me if my equipment is seized, so if I ever get my drones seized I will claim on my insurance and replace all the seized equipment (this includes my 4K computer) so I won't be droneless for long. But this reminds me of a time back in the late 1990's when someone vandalized my son's car. It was caught on CCTV so the police came and took the video tape away. When they returned it they said that the images weren't good enough for identification. They were, but the police just didn't bother to look at it...I could tell because when it was returned it was stopped at exactly the frame as when they took it. They couldn't be bothered to put it in their video player. They just played 'lip service'.

Yes I have 4, of which only 2 are still operational. The none operational drones I have could become operational again if I was willing to put a bit of time, effort and money into them. But I don't see that happening any time soon. I still think the CAA have way over estimated the number of drones there are in the UK though. As with other big boys toys, such as cars or motorcycles. I've owned more than 1 at some point in my life. But I could only ever drive or ride 1 at a time. That is the same with a drone, I can only fly one at any one time.....
As I've said, I have 3. One of them had been retired since August 2016 but I brought it out of retirement last Friday to flight test it ready for a job that I wanted to do with it this morning (for that job, this aircraft would have been the best since there was a possibility of a bird strike). As it turned out, though, on that flight test it wasn't sending video to me. It was recording but I just couldn't see what it was recording. So that aircraft flies good but is next to useless for any meaningful images since I can't line up shots. It may be that the fix could be simple but I can't be bothered to try and fix it...after all, I only wanted it for the one job, and that job has now been done using my other two aircraft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me