Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Photo quality?

Reaction score
Hi All. I’m thinking of getting a Mantis Q as my next drone. I like what I’ve seen so far.

Here’s my question: I have absolutely no interest in video, only still photos. I read you can shoot pics in RAW. Has anyone done much still photo work with the Mantis, and if so, how’s the image quality?

Thanks!

These are a few different shots from the Q. Not in RAW but still should give you an idea.
I think they are perfectly fine. Depends what you are doing with the photos.

Thanks. These are the first pics I’ve seen from it. I do photography for fun, but always shoot in RAW.

I like taking pics through LightRoom when needed, unless you like it straight out of the camera?

I think they are ok. If your looking for pro photos that are top quality then this isn’t the right drone.
But for £550 they are good if you are traveling and you want to take a drone

I think the price point is important here. Clearly you can get better quality with Mavic 2 but it’s 2-4 times the price depending on the model you chose.

I think the price point is important here. Clearly you can get better quality with Mavic 2 but it’s 2-4 times the price depending on the model you chose.

That was my thinking. I used to have a Mavic, but sold it. I want a small, portable drone to travel with.

The two biggest issues for me are price and photo quality.

I’m also considering a Q500 since I can pick one of those up for under $400, but it’s so big, so not very portable.

That was my thinking. I used to have a Mavic, but sold it. I want a small, portable drone to travel with.

The two biggest issues for me are price and photo quality.

I’m also considering a Q500 since I can pick one of those up for under $400, but it’s so big, so not very portable.
For still picture, the quality is perfect with most scenes, and it's better to PS in dark scenes for noise control
Please see some pictures with chinese introduction as below:

在锦溪,MantisQ航拍

Check the camera specs in the manual. You can find the link in other posts in the Mantis Q section. Supported modes are jpeg and DNG. If it is a true Adobe DNG, then Lightroom or PS should work fine.

If it is like the Breeze’s ‘raw’ mode for the camera the photos look somewhat dull and lifeless until you post process. Not sure if the Breeze has a true raw mode where you get a wider capture range like with Canon, Nikon, or Sony raw modes. The lens is like on cell phones also.

Check the camera specs in the manual. You can find the link in other posts in the Mantis Q section. Supported modes are jpeg and DNG. If it is a true Adobe DNG, then Lightroom or PS should work fine.

If it is like the Breeze’s ‘raw’ mode for the camera the photos look somewhat dull and lifeless until you post process. Not sure if the Breeze has a true raw mode where you get a wider capture range like with Canon, Nikon, or Sony raw modes. The lens is like on cell phones also.

I would assume they mean a true DNG since it’s listed that way. Usually, if it doesn’t shoot in RAW, it won’t list it that way.

But, I’ll try to check on it. I’m hoping there’s someone here already flies one and has shot photos in RAW, and can confirm that.

it's exact 14 bits raw data dng file
I would assume they mean a true DNG since it’s listed that way. Usually, if it doesn’t shoot in RAW, it won’t list it that way.

But, I’ll try to check on it. I’m hoping there’s someone here already flies one and has shot photos in RAW, and can confirm that.
it's 14 bits raw data dng file

tbh, there is little reason this cam/sensor (just a 1/3" sensor-very cell phone like) would need and likely has actual 14bit processing, this type sensor usually uses 10bit or at most 12bit, the dynamic range is simply not there at the sensor level.

some cell phones are using aggressive computational processing to achieve reasonable results from these ultra small 1/3" sensors, and suspect this level of processing is NOT on drones w/ this type sensor, the file might be just std dng processing, originally for larger sensor cams, overkill for 1/3" or 1/2.3" sensors.

much like resolution, where a sensor at pixel level is swamped by noise so a 20mp sensor has no more than a real 9-12mp resolution, (more pr than reality) these small sensor cams only need 10bits or less to fully process what is coming off the sensor-the dynamic range and resolution is simply not there.

after on-cam processing, it can look as good as 10bit maybe, the sensor simply does not need mo bits than 10 or so, look at a dng at 100% and you will likely see at least lots of noise processing @ pixel level & likely smear (noise reduction results in smearing of pixels), typ results of this size sensor-even the best sony sensors.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430