Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Place to practice - in Huntington Beach, CA

Reaction score
I have restarted my intent to get my Part 107 after life got in the way more than a year ago. I live in Huntington Beach and would like to hear from other Typhoon H pilots. Where do you practice skill building. Although HB does not have a drone ban as such it’s not easy avoiding the Law around here. Drone comes out of the truck with HBPD hot on its tail. Maybe it’s just me? I need a wide open space away from people etc. to practice my skills at less than 50 feet altitude. I don’t need to burn holes in the sky. I’m a member of AMA and drone is registered as hobbyist. Serious comment and suggestions welcome.

I have restarted my intent to get my Part 107 after life got in the way more than a year ago. I live in Huntington Beach and would like to hear from other Typhoon H pilots. Where do you practice skill building. Although HB does not have a drone ban as such it’s not easy avoiding the Law around here. Drone comes out of the truck with HBPD hot on its tail. Maybe it’s just me? I need a wide open space away from people etc. to practice my skills at less than 50 feet altitude. I don’t need to burn holes in the sky. I’m a member of AMA and drone is registered as hobbyist. Serious comment and suggestions welcome.

There are apps that can help you navigate and guide you to where you can fly, and when it comes to law enforcement, create a rapport. If you see a LEO don’t shy from asking of the city ordinance, when it comes to drones. First lesson that I’ve taught my son “if you ask properly, and politely. It will bridge to getting things that you want”

There are lots of nice beaches in your neck of the woods. Some beaches are natural habitat sanctuary. Best to ask or coordinate with park rangers, specially with the nesting season.

Good luck and happy flying, HB!

With pretty much every member of HBPD and NBPD members of swat or QRF teams you’re faced with the dilemma of being a piece of raw meat encountering a pack of starving dogs. Kick a$$, ask questions later.

A long time ago Miles Square Park in Fountain Valley was a wonderful RC site. Things have changed since then but they might still allow some limited forms of RC. I don’t know if the wetlands off Huntington State Beach are restricted but if not some parts of it might be useful, but they might be infringed by the Los Al Naval Air Station airspace. There may still be open areas along the Santa Ana riverbed but be aware of nearby SNA airspace.

You might want to try politely asking one of the local cops where flights might be possible. If nothing else you’ll learn their attitude related to them.

FWIW, here is the current HB City Statutes:

Note their info is way out of date.

Mile Square is long dead. Golf courses now.
There is an all electric RC Club on El Toro MCAS (closed) - Orange Coast RC Club. They require AMA.
There is an electric RC club at Fairview park in Costa Mesa, requires AMA and a CIty permit.

Here are the California State Parks/Beaches/Wetlands rules: Unmanned Aircraft System (Drones) in State Parks

And for good measure here is the Orange County Parks ordinance, which includes OC County Parks beaches:

Sec. 2-5-42. - Radio-controlled models.

No person shall possess or operate any radio-controlled or other remotely operated model, toy or similar device, including but not limited to cars, boats, rockets, airplanes or gliders, in any park, beach or recreational area except in areas designated and under conditions established by the Director. Any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be guilty of an infraction.
(Ord. No. 99-21, § 2, 8-31-99)

One more: https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/937/files/csp_uas.pdf

Also be aware that many schools will post no drones/RC models as well.

FWIW, I flew a short mission today at a job site on mine in north HB off Beach and the 405. Part 107 flight.

FWIW, here is the current HB City Statutes:

Note their info is way out of date.

Mile Square is long dead. Golf courses now.
There is an all electric RC Club on El Toro MCAS (closed) - Orange Coast RC Club. They require AMA.
There is an electric RC club at Fairview park in Costa Mesa, requires AMA and a CIty permit.

Here are the California State Parks/Beaches/Wetlands rules: Unmanned Aircraft System (Drones) in State Parks

And for good measure here is the Orange County Parks ordinance, which includes OC County Parks beaches:

One more: https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/937/files/csp_uas.pdf

Also be aware that many schools will post no drones/RC models as well.

FWIW, I flew a short mission today at a job site on mine in north HB off Beach and the 405. Part 107 flight.
Out of date - trust me I know. I contacted the PD when there doc first went online in 2016. Captain in a letter basically told me go fly in another city. I’ve been at this for over two years but gave up because of the hassle with PD and other pressing life issues. Now I want to restart. I had permit for Fairview Park but found it less than friendly to drones in spite of the fact the website map shows a drone area. It’s been frustrating to say the least.

I know what you mean. OC parks are unfriendly too. I belong to OCMA that flies out at Irvine Lake. They are doing quad racing now, so fairly drone friendly. I mostly fly regular RC planes, but fly my H+ there sometimes as well.

The HB stuff is laughably out of date, but even as it was, it still did not set formal rules, basically said to follow FAA rules. But since they have no law against it, there is no law they can enforce.

I know what you mean. OC parks are unfriendly too. I belong to OCMA that flies out at Irvine Lake. They are doing quad racing now, so fairly drone friendly. I mostly fly regular RC planes, but fly my H+ there sometimes as well.

The HB stuff is laughably out of date, but even as it was, it still did not set formal rules, basically said to follow FAA rules. But since they have no law against it, there is no law they can enforce.
Is that Irvine Lake proper or Irvine Regional Park? According to City of Irvine website there are no restrictions on flying in City parks. guess I'll have to try Irvine.

Is that Irvine Lake proper or Irvine Regional Park? According to City of Irvine website there are no restrictions on flying in City parks. guess I'll have to try Irvine.

OCMA flying site behind Irvine Lake in Black Starr Canyon. Requires being a member of one of the participating clubs to access the field. Irvine is a generally unfriendly place.

I can tell you that you can absolutely fly drones there. They have an entire area dedicated to drones. Plus you can fly from the normal RC area if not busy. The area is very large. I can see the cost being a factor. Just trying to inform you of the situation in OC. I've lived here since 1991 and flown just about everywhere. Getting harder to find places to fly for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval