Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Precision rth

From my understanding it's not possible compared to the precision on the phantoms. They take a image of the take off area and incorporate that into the gps map for precision RTH. They also have ground sensors to help with this precision RTH and landing.

How do you define precision? If using the exact spot of the take off, no, it's not possible with the H. The Home position also moves when the flight controller is moved. If the flight controller remains stationary for the duration of the flight the RTH level of precision will be with a meter to a meter and a half. That's assuming you are using Angle mode, not Smart mode.

In well over a year of flying a H I've never resorted to using RTH. For me, it is a safety feature that should be used only if necessary. But that's just me. I understand that others may use it as a matter of course and I will not criticize. If you are happy using it then who am I to judge.

However, it is my view that if RTH on the H480 brings your aircraft to you within a few meters, then I would say that is good enough. Unless you are flying from a very tight place then pin point accuracy isn't a 'must have'. So long as you are aware of your surroundings and choose your take off point allowing for any inaccuracies in the RTH, then I see no issue.

Just my tuppence worth.

Reactions: THoff and thoneter
My understanding was that RTH landed close to the spot where you initiated RTH not the spot it took off from. That's also been my experience. I've only used it a couple of times when first learning the H and its features. It seemed one time that it was going to land on my head so I turned it off and took control.

If high it seems to fly directly overhead then back away before descending. Almost like it's fixing the position of the ST-16 to establish the safe standoff distance.

My understanding was that RTH landed close to the spot where you initiated RTH not the spot it took off from. That's also been my experience. I've only used it a couple of times when first learning the H and its features. It seemed one time that it was going to land on my head so I turned it off and took control.
You are correct. The landing place is determined by the place that the ST16 is, not the take-off point. However, since I rarely move away from the take-off point during a flight, then it's landing place in the event of a RTH will still be in the vicinity of it's take off point.

My first Q I used RTH, but then things went buggy and Home wasn't exactly where I thought it should be (like, on the side of a cliff or worse). So I began to practice manual landing and with my H have never used RTH. Had an associate who always used RTH, few months ago it went south on him just as it began to land. Literally. A fly away and he didn't know what to do, lost his bird. Landing manually takes a bit more time, but I think it's worth it (especially with that vortex thingy, which I think is what may have got him).

I've used RTH maybe 5-6 times in the 16 months I've been flying the TH. It was handy if I got confused about which direction was home or if I lost video. It's always worked well for me. I always take control when it gets close to home and land it myself.

In well over a year of flying a H I've never resorted to using RTH. For me, it is a safety feature that should be used only if necessary. But that's just me. I understand that others may use it as a matter of course and I will not criticize. If you are happy using it then who am I to judge.

However, it is my view that if RTH on the H480 brings your aircraft to you within a few meters, then I would say that is good enough. Unless you are flying from a very tight place then pin point accuracy isn't a 'must have'. So long as you are aware of your surroundings and choose your take off point allowing for any inaccuracies in the RTH, then I see no issue.

Just my tuppence worth.
I totally agree with u I have two h models and never used RTH they are so easy to fly and land I have never bothered

...<snip>.... A fly away and he didn't know what to do, lost his bird. Landing manually takes a bit more time, but I think it's worth it (especially with that vortex thingy, which I think is what may have got him).
Not being there at the time I can't say for sure with my hand on my heart, but I think it unlikely it was VRS. VRS is a pretty rare phenomenon with modern multirotors these days, but more likely to happen with a quad than a Hex). The phenomenon was more common a couple of years ago: the early Phantom range, for example. That was largely fixed by dji when they released a firmware update for the Phantom 2 Vision Plus around early 2015 (maybe a bit earlier) which made the aircraft descent more slowly than was previously allowed.

Up until then, VRS could have been a problem through a pilot descending vertically in a very light or still breeze at too great a rate which sometimes allowed the aircraft to 'settle with power' and crash. Newer firmware prevented such a quick descent and aircraft that were prevented from descending so quickly became far less inclined to enter VRS.

Now, most modern mainstream consumer sUAS' are restricted in a similar way so it's now far more difficult to have a multirotor enter VRS (but not impossible). Your associate's fly away, then was unlikely to be through VRS. When in VRS, the likely outcome is for the aircraft to 'wobble' downwards either vertically or at a steep angle and crash. It does not fly away.

NB. To avoid VRS, descent at an angle into any wind. To get out of VRS once your aircraft has entered it, take your hand off the left stick (if in mode 2) and push the right stick in any direction...not guaranteed to get one out of VRS, but it offers a chance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold