Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Privacy violation arguments about drones

Reaction score
Yesterday I was flying the H over a lake in a public park within a residential neighborhood. A passer-by made some snarky comments about me violating people's privacy. He was jerk about it. I didn't want to get into a discussion with him because he looks like one of the guys how would get angry and worst case might break the drone! There are some homes very close to the lake and I try to avoid flying over people and the drone is pretty high up even sometimes at the max of 400 feet.

What do you guys do or say if you encounter a similar situation or if someone comes towards you asking you not to fly the drone or stop any kind of recording? You're in a public park not flying over anyone or if someone claims he lives near by.

What are our rights?

Ignore them unless you want to be distracted from your flight..
I think that's what most of them want, hoping the Flyer will lose concentration and get into trouble with his Quad. JMO.

Where are you located? In the states the FAA has rules set. I would just rattle off these FAA rules to anyone like that. Can't fly over people. can't fly over private property. Can't fly above 400ft. Must stay in line of sight etc. Making sure you're adhering to them let them know if they don't like these FAA guidelines they are more than welcome to write their congressman or senator and make suggestions.

Reactions: abinder
Where are you located? In the states the FAA has rules set. I would just rattle off these FAA rules to anyone like that. Can't fly over people. can't fly over private property. Can't fly above 400ft. Must stay in line of sight etc. Making sure you're adhering to them let them know if they don't like these FAA guidelines they are more than welcome to write their congressman or senator and make suggestions.

Can't fly over private property is vague. Directly above the house? How far above a house? When the drone is in the sky, it's above a bunch of private homes if you're flying it in a residential area... unless an FAA rule prohibits it.

The guy is obviously an idiot. People in public have nothing to hide. As long as you don't upset someones personal space by flying low, then you're fine.

Reactions: abinder
Offer to sell him naked photos of his neighbors that should calm him down :) Tell him you aren't breaking any laws/FAA rules but if he continues to distract you HE will be breaking one.

You could wear a side arm if you live in a conceal-carry state and I bet you will get absolutely no negative comments

Reactions: GRH
Knock on wood, I've not had anyone confront me as of yet. But I'm prepared;

I'd tell them; "I've registered with the FAA. My "multi-rotor" is clearly labeled with the FAA provided number. I'm flying within the FAA established guidelines".

I'm sure it'll happen someday..

Reactions: Q500 RATT
This is hillarious and so fitting. I read this post earlier tonight before heading out to film the setting sun at my Father's place in a little town outside Quebec City. He has a forest behind his house so I setup there and flew back and forth at 100 feet in the air behind the houses (about 500 feet away) getting shots of the sunset.

Suddenly there is this woman about 50 feet away screaming at me (in French) that I'm invading her privacy. Since, to me, she appeared unbalanced, I abliged by landing my drone, packed up and headed back to my Father's. After walking 300 feet I realized she was following me and taking video of me.... how does this make her complaint valid???

Her husband showed up and said 'if my house gets broken into you're the prime suspect' ??? It was at this point I realized these two were seriously lacking a banjo to complete the picture.

I told my Father the story and he is still laughing.

I choose isolated areas...meaning few if any see me launch or recover the drone. It's a shame that you need area security to have fun because some people go nuts when they see a drone. All the media scare tactics has put a bad image on the hobby. That's another reason to have the ability to be able to fly long distance.

If you are flying legal it very simple, just tell them to screw off, or words to that effect.

UAV laws (Australia)

Proximity to People

Do not fly closer than 30 metres to people

law1.png

No Fly Zones

Do not fly over any populated areas such as beaches, other people’s backyards, heavily populated parks or sports ovals where the games are in progress

law2.png

Airfields

Do Not operate within 5.5 km of an aerodrome or helicopter landing site without approval

law3.png

Line of Sight

Only operate your RPA during daylight, good weather and in Visual line of sight

law4.png

Height Restrictions

Do not fly above 400ft

law5.png

FPV Restrictions

FPV Flying needs an observer to maintain visual line of sight

law6.png

Reactions: Joneshd3488
The media has conditioned people to believe that all drones are only for spying or remote killing. Their sensationalizing to sell copy will only become worse with allegations of civilian privacy violations. We do have a lot of people that don't show others respect but the real problems come from government activities.

No Flying on Beaches??? Some of the best flying around is on Florida USA beaches. Not over the heads of beach goers but certainly the beaches and the water are some of the safest places to fly and great for filming. As far as spying goes consumer drones have not yet advanced to the point of replacing good old hopping over the fence and peeking with your own two eyes. LOL

No Flying on Beaches???
Populated beaches.... Offcourse when there are a lot of people you must not fly. But when the beach is allmost empty you can fire up :)

Reactions: yuneec53
You could wear a side arm if you live in a conceal-carry state and I bet you will get absolutely no negative comments

and if you show the firearm you are conceal carrying that's called brandishing and that's illegal and will get your CCW pulled.

Reactions: QuadBart

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval