Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Problems on 1st flight "crashed out of box"

Reaction score
Quadcopter on 1st flight had a mind of its own selected return home decended very fast at a very steep angle of decent impacted ground 3 blades broken and camera detached . sent back to Yunec who said nothing wrong with unit. quite suprised that they re calibrated it from its crash settings and then stated flies ok no confidence in unit. and thats after parts missing on arrival and one battery faulty quality control not as it should be. have video of flight which I will upload

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Yuneec Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Yuneec UAV’s.

So sorry to hear of your issues. Can you provide more details about the crash like what mode you were in etc.?

Reactions: dirkclod
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Yuneec Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Yuneec UAV’s.

So sorry to hear of your issues. Can you provide more details about the crash like what mode you were in etc.?

Forgive me if I dont get terms correct. i was in gps mode as soon as I started to climb quad started to yaw and go in circle. I released control in the hope it would stabilise. it didnt Tried to gain height to give me a bit more thinking space . if you look at video you can see the shadow on the ground. As I was having difficulty controlling it selected "return home " As soon as it was selected started decending very fast and with high angle of bank up to 45 degrees. at times in decent props can be seen in video. drone then crashed. wind was nil Compass calibration had just been done and I had an indication had been done correctly. when I checked the quad appeared as though the rear left hand motor wasnt going at the same speed as the other 3(possibly this would cause quad to "yaw"
dan at Yuneec tecnical has checked it and found nothing wrong. he states the the motors should run at different speeds. somewhat puzzelled by this

With 4 corners to stabilize the motors run at whatever speed is required to keep it stable, so all 4 motors could be out of sync frequently if thats what is required. If you were to hold the quad while it was under power and tilted it you would hear them spin up independently as it trys to level itself.

Did you post the video here?

Reactions: dirkclod
With 4 corners to stabilize the motors run at whatever speed is required to keep it stable, so all 4 motors could be out of sync frequently if thats what is required. If you were to hold the quad while it was under power and tilted it you would hear them spin up independently as it trys to level itself.

Did you post the video here?

video posted. When I tested the motors the unit was on a flat hard surface. one motor,rear left hand side was running at slightly slower speed speed

Last edited:
A couple of pieces of advice, that COULD help - though maybe you do have a defective motor or something (I'm not experienced enough to know):

1. Always run in turtle mode to start with. I only go out of turtle mode if I need a high speed video or need to cover a distance quickly, or want to get the UAV down more quickly from a larger height.

2. I lost a blade when my Typhoon bounced off grass and rolled upon landing in HOME mode. I was lucky it wasn't all four blades and then some, considering how hard the landing was. One of the best tips I ever saw in a video was to get the Typhoon close to the ground, but grab it underneath and press the red button to stop the rotors. That way is lands in your hand and won't bounce on the ground. Some people are afraid of the rotors, so you might want to get a leather glove or something if you're concerned about it.

3. I run my Typhoon like it is an airplane or helicopter: I let it spin up and run for 30 or more seconds about 6' off the ground before flying it.

4. Use HOME mode ONLY to return the craft home in an unobstructed area. I.e., no tree'd areas or power lines. It will have a flight path of its own. I also switch out of HOME mode when the craft is close enough to see the angle and details like lights and where the front is. Then I bring it to 6-10' in front of me (not directly above me), then start the descent to about 5-6' in altitude where I hold onto the body and turn off the rotors from the S10+.

Boy, this is a new one. I've never heard of a Typhoon acting like that. Mine has always been rock solid in GPS mode. Did you calibrate the IMU just before this flight? I'm not saying you need to do that, I'm just wondering what may have caused your crash with any changes that occurred just prior. The first time I flew full manual mode (no GPS) my Q500+ acted squirrely with a bad drift when there was no wind. However after an IMU calibration it clear up that problem. That's the only issue I've ever had. Even when I updated the firmware, I had no problems at all.

Was the compass calibration you mentioned done in an open field away from metal objects? Did you take your cellphone out of your pocket? They say cellphones can affect compass calibrations, but I'm not so sure.

Have you flow it since?

sounds like compass not calibrated properly to me - did you let the aircraft hover for a while when you took off and do some gentle test of controls rather than just shoot off ?

I catch mine most of the time after loosing two blades to landing crawl.
I never lower it directly over my head. I'm too afraid it might come crashing down on me. Was finger cut by blades before. (The good thing about blade cuts.... nice and sharp, no grinding damage).

I'll lower the quad above reach height, wait a second to make sure stabilized, than simple walk under it and grab one leg while depressing the red stop button for four seconds. I find this the more safer, comfortable mode in my mind.

I rarely let my Quads "auto-land" anymore. My QX3 came in way too fast one time and had a hard landing. Luckily nothing damaged.

I usually hit RTH and when it gets within a few feet of the ground I take over.

I have just had a similar incident. I've had the Typhoon G for a little over a week. The first one I was sent had a broken receiver underneath the quad. This new one I had no problems with until today. I had taken it to a wide open field that has a few small streams running through it and sent it out in angle mode at turtle settings, like I always do when first taking off. I then brought it back towards my self and had a slow pan across the water. I then sent it back out a but further and then at 11.7v on the battery I switched the return to home toggle on. It rose up slightly higher like it does and headed on back. I then switched on angle mode about 80 ft out just to guide it back in. All of a sudden it started shakeing around in the sky and then just decended rapidly straight into the small stream. My Hero 4 black was also attached at the time. I had 17sats and 12 on the top bar. There was no power lines or anything near by. I tried correcting its decent but no controller input would work. My SD card is suppose to be waterproof so hopefully I can get some video evidence. Also my st10+ controller has a SD card in it. So should be able to get flight data as well. I am starting to regret getting the typhoon as this is my second withing the space of a week and a bit. I've contacted Yuneec but no reply as of yet. I'm at a loss and out of pocket. Surly they must be able to compensate anyone who has a fault. But as a lot of people say, they seem to be a decent quad. I'm just pleased I was no where near anyone as the rate of decent would have definitely hurt someone very badly.

@ApexMoto - Sorry to hear of your incident. Those are always painful. Quick question for you. When you were '80 ft out', and just guiding it in, were you coming in at an angle, or descending straight down? The shaking is sometimes indicative of VRS. Just a thought. Also, if you can post any video you recover, and the flight telemetry from the ST-10+ it could help you try to get to the bottom of this.

One thing I noticed is you had the tree between you and the quad twice. Once going out and the second time coming in. I try to keep trees (when they are leafed out) from getting between the quad and me. That may not be the cause,but it was the first thing I noticed?

One thing I noticed is you had the tree between you and the quad twice. Once going out and the second time coming in. I try to keep trees (when they are leafed out) from getting between the quad and me. That may not be the cause,but it was the first thing I noticed?
It was a big gap between the trees and no where near the quad. You can hear something happen to the motor on the way back. Its definitely a fault with something on the quad for it to start swaying and then suddenly drop. The only problem is then gimbal is so smooth that it doesn't show up as much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval