Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Prop Life

Reaction score
Has anyone heard if the TH props have to be replaced after a certain amount of flight time?
I was wondering if after a certain period of flight time, the props may break down and snap in flight.
If so, I would hate to find out when I am out over a lake.
I used to use carbon fiber props, so never had any problems with my build from scratch quads.
However, I haven't used plastic very much.
Has anyone had issues with plastic props wearing out with past drones?

Are they all likely to fail at once? I would think not. Thats the beauty of having a hex over a quad (such as the phantom) - it will land on 5 rotors.

I suspect they are more likey to be damaged fitting them to the quick release than in flight.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I suspect they are more likely to be damaged fitting them to the quick release than in flight.

Exactly!

Wear from actual flight use is limited to blade flex cycles. Any plastic or carbon prop suffers from them but the time or number is an unknown in model aviation. In full scale such is well documented. I think we can be comfortable that if you don't let the props impact anything they will remain safe for use for a very long time but such an assumption does not cancel out the need to inspect your props prior to flight. Look at the blade hubs. If you suspect there is a crack where the blade meets the hub, change out the prop.

Those that remove their props after every session will have an additional inspection point with lock mechanism integrity. The more you cycle them on and off the more that mechanism will erode. Those that leave the props on will not experience any lock erosion, or an amount too small to demonstrate issues for a very long time. If you don't need to remove the props, don't. Cheaper for you that way.

Reactions: kinstray
I agree with you Pat it's mainly depends on the amount of insects dirt sand minor impact with tree limbs or bushes that will require that you inspect your props on your TH. A good and conscientious pilot will keep an eye on all moving parts on the aircraft. Fly safe.

Exactly!

Wear from actual flight use is limited to blade flex cycles. Any plastic or carbon prop suffers from them but the time or number is an unknown in model aviation. In full scale such is well documented. I think we can be comfortable that if you don't let the props impact anything they will remain safe for use for a very long time but such an assumption does not cancel out the need to inspect your props prior to flight. Look at the blade hubs. If you suspect there is a crack where the blade meets the hub, change out the prop.

Those that remove their props after every session will have an additional inspection point with lock mechanism integrity. The more you cycle them on and off the more that mechanism will erode. Those that leave the props on will not experience any lock erosion, or an amount too small to demonstrate issues for a very long time. If you don't need to remove the props, don't. Cheaper for you that way.
This is good info. Preinspection is important but it never really occurred to me to look that close to the connection part of the prop. Will add that to my pre flight check.

Bill W.

I raised the same question to Yuneec. See also :Motor Noise
I wanted it in writing but had to settle for over the phone. Yuneec has NO number for flight hours on the props. As long as they click into place securely, they are considered good to use.
When I put mine on, I hold the motor and try to twist the prop back and forth feeling for play. To date I have had one "B" prop I pitched out due to some slop. I do agree that flight hours and putting the props on/off is going to wear them. Maybe we need to start a poll?
I have to admit I track my batteries, but not the props, guess I need to add that to my logs.

After installing the props, I lift the bird by two opposing prop blades and bounce it up/down gently. Repeat this three times to check all blades. I found one not properly locked on once this way. Disaster averted.
I always remove my props to load the bird into the backpack for safe transport. I do wonder about accumulating slop in the prop latch mechanism and what effect that might have on performance. So far (8 months), no noticeable slop.

i posted this same question last December after reading an article saying props should be replaced after 10-12 hours. The replies I received did not support that idea. Agustine said he has props that are two yrs old (hrs not noted) and another said 25 hrs with no issues. Therefore, pre-flight inspection is certainly the answer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio