Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 4k Camera Lens - Need a closer view

Reaction score
I am a home inspector and I want to use the Q500 4k for safe roof inspection. The problem is that with the 4k has a wide angle view and the objects appear farther away than they are. I need to get too close to the roof to take good pictures or videos because of the wide angle lens. I would like to get a closer view of the roof without getting the copter so close to it. I don't need adjustable zoom just a closer, narrower view.

Does anyone know of a way to add on a lens to change the view?

Yuneec if you are reading this, I bet there are lots of other pros out there that need this. If you develop it I'd buy it.

If you record in 1080 and not 4k, the image appears a little "closer" than the 4k version. But as Sticks said, in your editing software you can "zoom" in on the image/video and still get great detail (if you record in 4K). Editing 4k can be really taxing on your editing system unless you have a nice beefy editing rig. So it really depends on your workflow and timeline as to getting the desired results.
Maybe Yuneec will have a setting that can make use of the Intel Real-sense collision avoidance that can keep your H 5' away from the roof? But then again, that would only work on houses that have a steep pitched roof since the sensor is always forward facing and not pointing where the camera is looking.

Cheers
Stew

Yuneec already made a 4k capable high zoom gimbled camera copter.
Research "TORNADO" and lumix gh4.
When operating the gh4 in 4K mode the sensor multiplies lense size by 2.3.
This is the perfect solution for your situation. Unfortunately it is not the lowest cost copter, but since it is a business expense can be a tax deduction against your profits.

Your best choice would be to go with a GoPro solution with a gimble. You have a couple of options...1) sell you current CGO3 online and use the money to buy a GoPro and gimble. 2) Sell your whole rig and buy the GoPro version of the Typhoon.
With a GoPro you can select different field of views. You can have it set for a narrow field of view that would give you the impression of zooming in.

Your final rendering off the video you can do a digital zoom. Instant gratification, yup, wrong platform. The Hurricane has a zoom camera on it, and other gimbals available to put different cameras on them.

I hope you have your 333 exemption from the FAA.

I have applied for my 33 exemption. I am only doing practice inspections on my own roof right now. Logging hours on the quad.

Your best choice would be to go with a GoPro solution with a gimble. You have a couple of options...1) sell you current CGO3 online and use the money to buy a GoPro and gimble. 2) Sell your whole rig and buy the GoPro version of the Typhoon.
With a GoPro you can select different field of views. You can have it set for a narrow field of view that would give you the impression of zooming in.

Thanks I might sell mine and go for this option

I am a home inspector and I want to use the Q500 4k for safe roof inspection. The problem is that with the 4k has a wide angle view and the objects appear farther away than they are. I need to get too close to the roof to take good pictures or videos because of the wide angle lens. I would like to get a closer view of the roof without getting the copter so close to it. I don't need adjustable zoom just a closer, narrower view.

Does anyone know of a way to add on a lens to change the view?

Yuneec if you are reading this, I bet there are lots of other pros out there that need this. If you develop it I'd buy it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi John, sorry I'm late to the party with an answer, but I'm looking for the same thing, and wondered if you had any joy. I can use a micrometer, so titanium pins and a lens to make a 'removable' narrow angle/zoom image of the roof, but I'd rather not make any adjustments to the physical case of the camera, even though we're talking about a half inch and about 0.5g in weight to do. If I don't find anything else I'll make a youtube video and post it here for you or anyone else, if it's a help.
As for 'wedbster's answer of 'Haha you've got the wrong kit' - I read comments from people like yo all the time.... Is it germane to the question? Is it helpful? Does it resolve the issue? I was always told that if you don't have anything useful or nice to say, then don't say it. This was later reinforced to me at school when I learnt "si tacuisses philosophus mansisses" and "Sometime's it's better to remain quiet and appear to be a fool, than to open your mouth and remove any doubt"
When someone asks a question, you don't answer with 'No, that's not the question you want to ask....' because it f***ing well is, or he/I wouldn't be asking it. Apologies to anyone I offended with the implied bad language.

Reactions: JohnQ
Many thanks
I should add the process is very delicate and requires much care and patience. The focusing can take a very long time to get it just right. Also be aware the lens mount that comes with the new lens may not be perfectly flat and some people have had to sand it with 600 grit paper while keeping everything perfectly clean.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz