Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 4K won’t start after user repair

Reaction score
Hi all.

Can anyone advise me if the Q500 4K is still worth buying? I live in the UK so also wondering if spare parts are still out there.
If you're planning to buy a brand new Q500, check your country Yuneec's tech support. I live in US on East Coast and Yuneec tech support is located in West Coast and they are no longer providing tech supporting to Q500. I bought Q500 4k new back in 2016 and two years later it crashed into the roof (my fault, didn't have my eye glasses on) and it need a new motor/ESC so I put away for couple of years until last fall (October 2020). I bought a new motor/ESC from eBay, got it installed but kept getting error on ST10 controller and could not get the drone to start so I put it away again. Until recently, I did some research through YouTube and found that I need a GUI diagnostic software to reset the motor error which suppose to be available for download from Yuneec website but all download firmware upgrade and GUI diagnostic for Q500 were no longer available for download. I created service request through Yuneec Tech Support website at least twice, received confirm email response both times that will get back to you but never got any response through email or a phone call after that. Made phone call several times, got same person every time and advised that tech support will call you right back, never got any call back. So I gave up. Yuneec tech support is totally suck especially with older model drone. A few months ago, I came across this YuneecPilots forum website and found someone posted the link for GUI diagnostic software for Q500. Got it download and installed on my PC and connected to Q500 drone and be able to reset the motor. Now I no longer having any error but the drone still won't start. ST10 controller connected successfully and shows no sign of any error and have all satellites needed. Up until now I still couldn't get my drone to start.

After experiencing with their tech support, my suggest to you is, don't spend $500-$600 on Q500 new drone even preowned one $200-$300. It's not worth it. If you crashed one and can't fix it yourself, good luck finding help with Yuneec tech support. You may get help but it is going to cost you arms and legs. Besides, It is too big and bulky to pack in backpack or for travel. I was going to buy a Mantis Q but with my experiencing with Yaneec's tech support, I stay away from their products. If you want to have a drone to enjoy flying, takes good picture and recording video and easy for travelling, get a foldable drone. My next drone would be DJI Mini 2 which coast around $450 in US. It has the most highest rating in Amazon.

Hope this help.

I don't want to speak for the forum but I can't believe you would go through all of that or even bother. The mini comes as advertised because I had one. The q500 is a drone you can actually see and more fun to fly than the mini. The video for the hard-core photo pros on here which I am not will probably tell you more. I love the q as I said earlier.

Reactions: Chris Koch
Tech is dead here in u.s. except for vertigo drones to my knowledge or yuneec skins.

Just like I stated. Yuneec tech support in US is totally suck unless you got a high ended one. Then they may return your call or response to your request. I still can't get my Q500 to start and not planning to contacting them again, waste my time.

Have you spoken to either of the places I mentioned? Also there are some incredibly knowledgeable folks on here like wtfd, doomeister and many others who know this drone inside out. parts may possibly be found via yuneec skins.

Q500 is fun to fly and produces good photo and 4k video but dealing with tech is a nightmare. Q500 was my first drone and sent once to Yuneec tech in CA for ST10 repair under warrantee and took little over two months to fix. There weren't many good drone choice to pick when q500 came around in 2014 besides DJI Phantom. Yuneec target their drones very much for commercial needs for aerials photo shooting and some pressure like Q500 and Mantis Q. There are many compatible drones out there today that less than half of what new q500 in 2014 and it compact enough to put in your back pocket anywhere you go. Carrying Q500 is like carrying another suitcase drone.

Q500 is fun to fly and produces good photo and 4k video but dealing with tech is a nightmare. Q500 was my first drone and sent once to Yuneec tech in CA for ST10 repair under warrantee and took little over two months to fix. There weren't many good drone choice to pick when q500 came around in 2014 besides DJI Phantom. Yuneec target their drones very much for commercial needs for aerials photo shooting and some pressure like Q500 and Mantis Q. There are many compatible drones out there today that less than half of what new q500 in 2014 and it compact enough to put in your back pocket anywhere you go. Carrying Q500 is like carrying another suitcase drone.
So how well did your Q500 work up until you crashed it into your roof?

After neglecting it for years you expect it to just work and blame Yuneec because they have moved on. Yuneec USA from when you bought your Q500 went into receivership from bad management, and the newly formed Yuneec USA is following the lead of the rest of the world and not doing consumer drones.

BTW you are touting how great DJI drones are, but just go to the help forums on MavicPilots or PhantomPilots and see the same type of problems you are experiencing with your Q500. Have you checked out the Way To Fix Drones project in the sticky threads of the General forum here? You may find a reason for the issues you have with the Q500.

Also, although I have no plans of purchasing anymore drones, I would love a new q500 if I could find one. I am not proud but presently I have no foldable drones.

Reactions: Chris Koch
I have a q500+ aq5004k that I just purchased as a parts drone and to my surprise it only had 1 broken prop,flown twice. It is the white bird,,beautiful.Have flown twice has old firmware but fun to fly. I also own an H pro. Great fun to fly. I have had incidents with 2 of the big drones. Never have I ever contacted Yuneec. This site has been my Drone Bible! Learn how to ask a question or use the search magnifier and "VOILA" you are on your way to fly, fix, and fly again.Peace KC

I wish I would have discovered this forum 9 months earlier. They have been patient and you're right about the help factor. Even if it's something simple, they understand.

Reactions: 7cyclops
Have you spoken to either of the places I mentioned? Also there are some incredibly knowledgeable folks on here like wtfd, doomeister and many others who know this drone inside out. parts may possibly be found via yuneec skins.
I have visited both places for parts in the past but have not speak with them. I don't need any part for the moment. GUI USB interface shows all green lights. I'm going to find some time to give another shot and will post for assistant if needed. I read wtfd notes that how I found issue with my GPS was unplugged which solved my issue with beeping. Now it just won't start. Thanks for advise.

Reactions: Peter b

After neglecting it for years you expect it to just work and blame Yuneec because they have moved on. Yuneec USA from when you bought your Q500 went into receivership from bad management, and the newly formed Yuneec USA is following the lead of the rest of the world and not doing consumer drones.

BTW you are touting how great DJI drones are, but just go to the help forums on MavicPilots or PhantomPilots and see the same type of problems you are experiencing with your Q500. Have you checked out the Way To Fix Drones project in the sticky threads of the General forum here? You may find a reason for the issues you have with the Q500I

BTW you are touting how great DJI drones are, but just go to the help forums on MavicPilots or PhantomPilots and see the same type of problems you are experiencing with your Q500. Have you checked out the Way To Fix Drones project in the sticky threads of the General forum here? You may find a reason for the issues you have with the Q500.
Well it kind of sad isn't it when you bought an 85 Mercedes and now 2021, dealers will ignored your issue because they have moved on to newer model and let consumer finding third parties to solve your issue. How can I expect it to work when it has not been fixed for years? I do like Q500 and 4k video and intend to get it fix and get it up in the air again. But you got to think a war bird will sooner become a legacy and flying on new machine will move on. I do travel to exotic places sometime and need to pack lite and prefer a compact foldable drone. I need a drone that can sipping in the dense wood for scenery shot. Q500 won't be my choice even though I got it to work. I never own DJI, just checked the review. Anyhow, will give another shot on my q500 and will check the suggested sticky threads. Problem may just be simple to fix.

It sounds like the mini or mini2 are what you probably want. They are tiny and fit in your pocket. Does the job and puts the film right on your phone as you shoot. I still don't think they are fun to fly.

I have a q500+ aq5004k that I just purchased as a parts drone and to my surprise it only had 1 broken prop,flown twice. It is the white bird,,beautiful.Have flown twice has old firmware but fun to fly. I also own an H pro. Great fun to fly. I have had incidents with 2 of the big drones. Never have I ever contacted Yuneec. This site has been my Drone Bible! Learn how to ask a question or use the search magnifier and "VOILA" you are on your way to fly, fix, and fly again.Peace KC
Any chance you may know how I can get my Q500 that is in error motor 5 fixed? I replaced bad esc I purchased the drone used prior owner dropped it took a decent fall I paid 100 for it paid 15 for esc made sure correct part. Replaced it and then updated firmware updates on both sides and then it throws that error message to me? Any knowledge sir?

The drone does not automatically recognize a new ESC. You will still get the 5 motor error until you connect the Q500 to the GUI and do the motor assignments.

Is this drone a q500 or an H 480. I don't think you get a 5 motor error with the Q as all of the Q's only have 4 rotors. As usual I may be wrong but confusion comes first! or I just read WTFD reply and maybe 5 motor error is part of his test procedure, as always he is way above my head. Lets find out whasup EH! Keith WTFD is right on esc assignment in q500 gui.

This Q500 did not happen to come with all information no instructions on how to proceed with this? Any idea? Can’t seem to find. I really want to see this fly.

Is this drone a q500 or an H 480. I don't think you get a 5 motor error with the Q as all of the Q's only have 4 rotors. As usual I may be wrong but confusion comes first! or I just read WTFD reply and maybe 5 motor error is part of his test procedure, as always he is way above my head. Lets find out whasup EH! Keith WTFD is right on esc assignment in q500 gui.
This is a Q500

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval