Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 max crurrent

Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone know what the maximum current (amps) the q500 will draw at full power and or what ot may draw and a no wind hover.

Most I can find is a video of somebody measuring 1 motor at Full Throttle showing current of 30 amps. I believe if this is the case then that would be the max amp draw unless the camera adds to that

You would expect if one motor draws 30 amps, four would draw 120. The camera draws very little.

Hello all,

Does anyone know what the maximum current (amps) the q500 will draw at full power and or what ot may draw and a no wind hover.

Most I can find is a video of somebody measuring 1 motor at Full Throttle showing current of 30 amps. I believe if this is the case then that would be the max amp draw unless the camera adds to that

Simple....
A 5200mAH battery with a 10c discharge rate (typical of Q battery) has a max discharge rate of 52 amps.
5200mAH X 10c= 52,000mAH
52,000mAH/1000= 52 amps max output
To go a bit farther....
Assuming an average draw of 25 amps
(52 amps ÷ 25 amps) X 60 seconds gives a 12.5 (12.48) minute run time.
Whatever the draw is on the Q...it won't exceed 52 amps.
That said, I doubt it's ever over 35 amps being drawn by the drone.
Good luck and happy flying,
Jafo

Added: As I think on this some more, that can't be exactly right.
I say that because of the batteries getting puffy. I suppose at times, the draw can exceed the batteries discharge rate for a short time.Certainly long enough to cause the batteries to puff.
Then on the other hand....lots of things can cause a battery to puff.
If a guy were to be flying nice and easy and just doing his thing and at the end of the battery charge when he should be taking it easy he were to start hot dogging it, that could cause the battery to puff without actually exceeding the limits.
Without putting an amp meter to the battery and seeing it first hand... it's a crap shoot of a guess as to the actual draw.
I can tell you the biggest wire inside the Q from what I remember is a #12. There might have been a #10 from the battery to the board but I don't think so.
At either rate... you wouldn't want to put 50amps through either one of them for any amount of time.

Last edited:
Scott,

I believe your thread is pristine now.

With the Control Response slider set to "rabbit" and the camera set to 1920x1080x24fps, and the outside temperature in the low 60s/high 50s, flying between 30-50 feet AGL in 10-12MPH wind gusts, with the battery fresh off the charger, I get just under 20 minutes (more than 15 but less than 20). That's based on the total video length when starting the video recording within 60 seconds of starting the motors, if not before.
Not a fan of the Summer heat, but I do want to see if I get more time with warmer weather.

It shouldn't be difficult to patch a meter onto the unit to see what the numbers are, but you'd probably want that as a video overlay so you can get real-world readings instead of stress-free workbench readings. It would be nice to see the dips and spikes the unit goes through during actual use to better understand when I can push it and when I should back off.

With the Control Response slider set to "rabbit" and the camera set to 1920x1080x24fps, and the outside temperature in the low 60s/high 50s, flying between 30-50 feet AGL in 10-12MPH wind gusts, with the battery fresh off the charger, I get just under 20 minutes (more than 15 but less than 20). That's based on the total video length when starting the video recording within 60 seconds of starting the motors, if not before.
Not a fan of the Summer heat, but I do want to see if I get more time with warmer weather.

It shouldn't be difficult to patch a meter onto the unit to see what the numbers are, but you'd probably want that as a video overlay so you can get real-world readings instead of stress-free workbench readings. It would be nice to see the dips and spikes the unit goes through during actual use to better understand when I can push it and when I should back off.

So yep,

I ordered a watt meter and I am going to wire it up to the drone and test it on the bench first and film the whole thing then I will prob try to film it in the air with it infront of the camera to see what some real world peaks look like.

I am looking to built a Li Ion pack. But before I built it I need to know what the q500 really draws so make sure the pack can handle it.

On a side note does anyone know what the max voltage the q500 can handle?

I will post results as I get them as I am sure I am not the only one that may want to do this if this works out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval