Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Question for the Experienced Typhoon H and H+ People...

Reaction score
So I'm getting pretty close (I think) to popping on a Typhoon H+, my experience to this point has mostly been with Autel Evo, and a few other similar platforms. The confusion I'm dealing with is in regards to intelligent flight mode planning. As I was doing some research and watching videos, it looked like there was no map involved in planning flights- something I'm very accustom to as everything I've used to this point uses a map to plan just about everything... but then I see this video and there's someone planning a flight using a map:

So whats the story on the use of maps? Is this guy in the video using some sort of aftermarket utility or is there a native map that's optional for flight planning? None of the above???

Thx, any input is greatly appreciated.

Guess you should clarify the model first. You wrote H+. Are you referring to the H (Pro) or the H Plus?
The app in that video is UAV Toolbox which will only work on the H. In fact, it is the only app you can add to the H controller. And it does support Bing maps as I recall. Not Google maps. It allows you to preplan a flight.

The H Plus is strictly a photo/video platform and is not made for using any maps or apps.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
So I'm getting pretty close (I think) to popping on a Typhoon H+, my experience to this point has mostly been with Autel Evo, and a few other similar platforms. The confusion I'm dealing with is in regards to intelligent flight mode planning. As I was doing some research and watching videos, it looked like there was no map involved in planning flights- something I'm very accustom to as everything I've used to this point uses a map to plan just about everything... but then I see this video and there's someone planning a flight using a map:

So whats the story on the use of maps? Is this guy in the video using some sort of aftermarket utility or is there a native map that's optional for flight planning? None of the above???

Thx, any input is greatly appreciated.

If you're looking to do maps or plan waypoint missions for fly bys, check out apps like DroneDeploy and FlyLitchi that work with DJI. They let you work at your desk to plan mapping or video missions, then go out in the field and fly them.

Typhoon H is a fine camera drone, but doesn't provide the APIs that developers need to program it. UAV Toolbox is a fine application to edit Typhoon H CCC - Cable Cam missions on a map with the ST16 controller, but it's way limited compared to Litchi or DroneDepoloy.

If you want this kind of functionality with Yuneec, I think the H520s will do it but don't have any experience with them...

Thanks for the replies. I am talking about the H plus by the way. This may have just forced me to some other platform somewhere. Idk, i'l have to give it more thought. Ive been trying to stay clear of dji.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Thanks for the replies. I am talking about the H plus by the way. This may have just forced me to some other platform somewhere. Idk, i'l have to give it more thought. Ive been trying to stay clear of dji.
I would only fly DJI if someone gave it to me. I was flying and there was another UAV flying in the area. He watched my HPro and commented how steady mine was. He swapped batteries and took off. He got to about 75 ft and one of his props flew off.
The resulting crash ended his flying for the day, or maybe forever I don't know. He stayed around and watched me fly the battery out. After I landed he came over to talk. He asked what happens when you lose a prop and I told him nothing happens, I get an alert that I'm in five rotor mode and need to land ASAP.
Stick with the best, Yuneec six or more rotors.

So am I just looking at the wrong Typhoon H series drone when I'm looking at the Plus? Do the H or H Pro versions (or sub-versions... I've seen other letter designations like H Pro RS or something like that) have better flight planning systems?

What I'd really like is a way point system, a map to plan it on and a map where I can watch the progress of the drone, and locate the drone should something happen to it along the way.

Flying is VLOS and a map will not help there. At this point in time only big business can fly BVLOS and only by very hard to get FAA waiver.

For now, the Typhoon H and Typhoon H Pro (the Pro has the Intel RealSense module) are the ones that are supported by the Yuneec authorized 3rd party app UAV Toolbox. You can map a course with it and fly the resulting CCC it produces.

There are no authorized third party apps for the Typhoon H Plus at this time. The H520 does have mapping and uses the same frame and flight controller as the TH Plus. The H520 is the commercial platform for Yuneec and is geared with software in that direction.

My personal opinion, for what it is worth, would be to go with the Typhoon H Plus. It is a very stable platform, the camera is far superior to the CGO3+, and the CCC mode done onsite only takes an extra battery. The CCC mode allows you to frame your shots just right which cannot be done from mapping software.

Ground control may have got Apollo 11 to the Moon, but Neil still piloted the LEM to the surface.

Flying is VLOS and a map will not help there. At this point in time only big business can fly BVLOS and only by very hard to get FAA waiver.

For now, the Typhoon H and Typhoon H Pro (the Pro has the Intel RealSense module) are the ones that are supported by the Yuneec authorized 3rd party app UAV Toolbox. You can map a course with it and fly the resulting CCC it produces.

There are no authorized third party apps for the Typhoon H Plus at this time. The H520 does have mapping and uses the same frame and flight controller as the TH Plus. The H520 is the commercial platform for Yuneec and is geared with software in that direction.

My personal opinion, for what it is worth, would be to go with the Typhoon H Plus. It is a very stable platform, the camera is far superior to the CGO3+, and the CCC mode done onsite only takes an extra battery. The CCC mode allows you to frame your shots just right which cannot be done from mapping software.

Ground control may have got Apollo 11 to the Moon, but Neil still piloted the LEM to the surface.

Thanks for the input,
That was clever what you did there at the end, I caught that ;)

As far as LOS goes, I'm not talking about flying outside LOS, you can have LOS while your drone is in the air, but lose it as its going down (hit a tree, Eagle attack, etc.), locating its last known position on a map can be the difference between finding your drone or not.

Your right in that you can't frame your flight perfectly with a map, but for some applications using a map to plan a flight is just what the doctor ordered, maybe you don't have time to fly the entire flight as you program it, maybe you want to program it the night before, you can't do that without a map.

It seems like, from what I've found so far, the whole reason Yuneec didn't add this type of functionality (Datapilot or even compatibility with UAV Toolbox) to the Plus is because for all intents and purposes, if they did, it would be a 520 (just gunmetal instead of orange). How do you charge industry 5k for a H520 when they could have the same thing for so much less in the prosumer version H Plus? A little high visibility paint and they'd be all set.

I'm with you on still liking the Plus over the other options (H or H Pro), but I'm struggling getting over the lack of the waypoint system. The Evo has it, but it's greatly lacking in options, and for everything good about Autel, great quality, support, etc., they aren't terribly quick releasing firmware updates.

Thx again for the info!

PS- What did you mean when you said the CCC mode done onsite takes an extra battery?

The extra battery allows you to fly and set your CCC and frame the shot at each waypoint. Then use a fresh battery to fly your route and get the video. Of course it depends on how long you take setting up the CCC. This is a very good video on using the CCC on the TH Plus.

Reactions: pixelzombie
The extra battery allows you to fly and set your CCC and frame the shot at each waypoint. Then use a fresh battery to fly your route and get the video. Of course it depends on how long you take setting up the CCC. This is a very good video on using the CCC on the TH Plus.

Ok, gotcha. So if it was a short flight and you set it up fairly quickly you wouldn't necessarily need an extra battery, but in normal practice you likely will. I hadn't really thought about that aspect of it. Another reason the ability to set it up on a map would be nice.

I watched that video last night along with a few others from the same guy, they are good instructional videos.

Something else to keep in mind @Apollo11capcom The flight control software of the Typhoon H Plus has Zero (nothing) in common with the Typhoon H or Typhoon H Pro or any other Typhoon. A lot of people use the name extensions such as 'Pro' 'RS' 'Advanced' and so forth but they are all the same systems. The Plus stands apart. To date, there is no third party software to make maps that can be used with the Plus as can be done with the other Typhoons but the maker of UAV Toolbox has mentioned that he may in the future if the demand warrants the amount of work necessary to produce such an add on.

Currently all we (Plus owners) have available is the CCC function. One thing I did not go into in that video is that once a route is made it can be kept and flown at any date in the future. So for instance; if you want to document the building of a house by flying a route around it, you would simply plan the first route as shown in the video, 'Save' the route and then each day when you want to fly it you would tap 'Manage Routes' and pull it up and fly that route.

Something else to keep in mind @Apollo11capcom The flight control software of the Typhoon H Plus has Zero (nothing) in common with the Typhoon H or Typhoon H Pro or any other Typhoon. A lot of people use the name extensions such as 'Pro' 'RS' 'Advanced' and so forth but they are all the same systems. The Plus stands apart. To date, there is no third party software to make maps that can be used with the Plus as can be done with the other Typhoons but the maker of UAV Toolbox has mentioned that he may in the future if the demand warrants the amount of work necessary to produce such an add on.

Currently all we (Plus owners) have available is the CCC function. One thing I did not go into in that video is that once a route is made it can be kept and flown at any date in the future. So for instance; if you want to document the building of a house by flying a route around it, you would simply plan the first route as shown in the video, 'Save' the route and then each day when you want to fly it you would tap 'Manage Routes' and pull it up and fly that route.
Ty for the info

Reactions: Ty Pilot

Pixhawk

OK, I kinda agree with you, but am wondering if this link
webpage might be a way to make files that you could manually load preflight to the H Plus and have it fly your mission. As I understand it, the UAV toolbox is a variant of this webpage.
And, while you are at it, I haven't been able to figure out the "grid" option at that link. If you know, how does it work?

OK, I kinda agree with you, but am wondering if this link
webpage might be a way to make files that you could manually load preflight to the H Plus and have it fly your mission. As I understand it, the UAV toolbox is a variant of this webpage.
And, while you are at it, I haven't been able to figure out the "grid" option at that link. If you know, how does it work?

Not exactly.

The hplan web page referenced is for the Typhoon H (H480).

Sorry.

Even though it might be for the H480, it generates curved cable cam files (.ccc) I examined one and it's a plain vanilla text file. LIkely it can be read by the TH. I am going to experiment and see if the TH will load and fly those files.

If so, then this might be the solution for the OP

Even though it might be for the H480, it generates curved cable cam files (.ccc) I examined one and it's a plain vanilla text file. LIkely it can be read by the TH. I am going to experiment and see if the TH will load and fly those files.

If so, then this might be the solution for the OP
Possibly so if it will work with the TH Plus...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval