Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

question on realsense

Reaction score
i have a q500+ love it but want to upgrade ,but i cant get a straight answer on other sites about real sense is it as good as other obstacle avoidence,does it sense the world around it like yuneec and intel say and are most of the complaints because people dont read the info and /or dont get any training,i mean i know no matter what product you buy there are bound to be some problems but,with my q they where all me,and what is the scoop on yuneec maybe going under or is it all hype,so my last question is should i feel confident in the h like i am with my q?

i have a q500+ love it but want to upgrade ,but i cant get a straight answer on other sites about real sense is it as good as other obstacle avoidence,does it sense the world around it like yuneec and intel say and are most of the complaints because people dont read the info and /or dont get any training,i mean i know no matter what product you buy there are bound to be some problems but,with my q they where all me,and what is the scoop on yuneec maybe going under or is it all hype,so my last question is should i feel confident in the h like i am with my q?
The H has a lot more functions and there is a definite learning curve. Being a good Q pilot helps immensely. The H is fast and responds to the controls quickly. If you elect to go with the RealSense you will need to do a lot of practice to get comfortable with it and learn it's limitations. Once you get the feel you will love the H. It's a different breed but it still maintains the Yuneec character.

I got the Pro version with RealSense and to be honest, ive never used it!

I don't use follow me mode because of the restrictions on drone flying in the UK...the publicity shows the H following two skate boarders through a city centre - which is illegal!

As i understand it, RealSense only works in follow me mode so before spending the money, have a think about what you will use it for - there is zero instructions for the module with the H.

If i buy a second H for commercial purposes, i wont be getting RealSense.

I agree with above. Think about what you will use realsense for and only shell out for a H with RealSence if you think you will use it enough times to warrant the extra expense.
For example, for the sort of flying I do I can see no advantage in having RealSence. In fact, to date, I have never even had the basic obstacle avoidance switched on! So having RealSence, for me, would be a waste on money.

On the other hand, if at some future date I do identify the need for RealSence, which I doubt, then I will get it as an add-on.
In short, unless you can honestly see a need for RealSence, then save your brass and buy the model without it.

I have RealSence for emergency if I need to hit RTH. I fly around some sea-cliffs when launching at sea level and will also launch off a sea-cliff and fly below it. If there is a failure and I am flying below my launch point or there is a large cliff obstacle between the H and myself, during a RTH the H will actually recognize the cliff face and navigate around or climb to my level.

I have RealSence for emergency if I need to hit RTH. I fly around some sea-cliffs when launching at sea level and will also launch off a sea-cliff and fly below it. If there is a failure and I am flying below my launch point or there is a large cliff obstacle between the H and myself, during a RTH the H will actually recognize the cliff face and navigate around or climb to my level.
In RTH your H will rise to it's pre-determined TRH height relative to the height you are at. If you took off from the top of a cliff, then in RTH it will rise to the height that has been set by you treating it's take off height as zero within the confines of the baro error irrespective of whether you happen to be flying below your take off height at the time that RTH is instigated. For example, if you are flying 50ft, say, below the height you took off from when it goes into RTH it will still rise to whatever the set RTH height is above the height it took off from, give or take a few feet for the baro error.
On the other hand, I agree that if you took off from the bottom of a cliff and there is an obstacle between you and the H that is higher than the RTH height, then RealSence could be a handy thing to have. But wouldn't it be better to set the RTH height to a height appropriate to accommodate surrounding obstacles and not rely solely on the RealSence...like a double insurance so to speak ?

One thing that the firmware is currently lacking is a feature that automatically engages RS in RTH mode. If RTH is engaged by a loss of RC and you've been flying in Angle Mode with RS off, you won't have a chance to turn it on until RC is re-established.

Having the option to automatically turn RS on would add great peace of mind.

I have two aircrafts, I purchased a RealSense module for one of them just because of the Indoor Positioning System, but never got to use it as there's apparently no way to manually activate Indoors "mode"

In my experience the RS only drains A Lot of battery when flying. Even if you disable the RealSense on the controller the module still turns on with the Typhoon H and reduces a lot of regular flight time.

I still hope I'll be able to use the IPS, but I haven't heard any news about that, so my advise would be to only get it if you specifically plan to use it.

You can activate IPS by placing the obstacle avoid switch in center and mode switch in Angle, then hold left stick to lower left corner and cycle the Mode switch (very fast) 4x. You will hear beeps from TH. Then start motors and IPS will show up in upper right of screen. It took me many tries to get it to go the first time. I have verified this but no indoor flights yet.

I just tried to activate IPS and fly indoors, here is what I can tell you, I have no idea how I got it into IPS but I can't make it go into that mode again. When I got it in that mode, in my living room, it flew very well, a little drifting, but flew very well. Now if I could figure out how to get it in that mode again, that would be helpful! lol

You will want to start with it in middle position, then starting with down, cycle the switch very quickly and then H will beep. Place mode back in to angle(center).

Quick how to on youtube.

You will not see IPS in the upper right until you start your motors.

I searched like mad for a video showing this procedure a few months ago, there were lots of posts around the web with different instructions, and it's until now that I see a video showing how to go into IPS mode (though a flying demonstration would've been the cherry on the cake.

I recall trying to do this with no success, perhaps I was following a different procedure but also I thought it was because I'm still running an older firmware and somewhere I recall reading that IPS mode was implemented in a later update..

Anyway, it's very sad that I don't have my H with me since April and I don't know when I'll be able to try this. But thanks for the video!

I searched like mad for a video showing this procedure a few months ago, there were lots of posts around the web with different instructions, and it's until now that I see a video showing how to go into IPS mode (though a flying demonstration would've been the cherry on the cake.

I recall trying to do this with no success, perhaps I was following a different procedure but also I thought it was because I'm still running an older firmware and somewhere I recall reading that IPS mode was implemented in a later update..

Anyway, it's very sad that I don't have my H with me since April and I don't know when I'll be able to try this. But thanks for the video!
No problem, I had the same issue so I decided to do one. I will get one up with a demo as soon as I can find the space. I may do one outside just to show it in action.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss