Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Questions Before Pulling the Trigger

Thanks Atomic08. I live in Delaware. What is this "tax" of which you speak? LOL

I do however live in the "Lower Slower" part of the state where we have no large stores. So I would have to go to Maryland and they do have tax. Most all of what I buy comes from online. That is why I am thinking Vertigo or Carolina Drones.
Bob I to live in lower slower Delaware you can go to Costco in Wilmington or Best Buy in Dover

Also worth considering is a launch pad if you're going to be launching/landing in dirt/sand/grass. I'd recommend one of the larger ones as the H480 just fits on the smaller ones and is a trick to center.

https://smile.amazon.com/LETMY-Univ...=1511383450&sr=8-7&keywords=drone+landing+pad

BTW, I highly recommend using the tent stakes. Early on I got lazy on one flight didn't use the stakes and was a bit shocked that the prop wash from the H480 pushed the pad around substantially. After chasing it for a while I just landed on level, close cut grass. Lesson learned.

Second the landing pad. They're cheap and eliminates the grass and dirt storm when the props start.

Buy a meter of artificial grass and clip a circle (or two rectangles) from it.
Might cost you 4 bucks.

Soft touch downs guaranteed, nice natural colour and appereance, 100% plastic so it will be easy to clean, dry fast and last long.

Great idea on the carpets!
Seems like everyone has the same price? Does Yuneec determine what the sellers can charge?
Not really seeing any great deals, even though it is cheaper now than when I first started looking.

Bob, you're right where I was a year ago, so a couple of suggestions...

You say this will be your first... your 1st Yuneec product or your first RC multirotor? If it's the latter, I was the same... so I suggest getting a inexpensive nano quad to fly around your apartment/home for a month. It will get you used to the sticks and how the controls affect flight, without 3 factors to distract you:

1) Cost... You can pick up a Blade Nano QX + 4 spare batteries and charger for $100... and by removing cost as a distraction you can bounce it off the ceiling and walls as needed to learn.
https://www.amazon.com/BLADE-Nano-QX-RTF-Quadcopter/dp/B00SNEJA92/ref=sr_1_1

2) Visual information from a camera, so you are only concentrating on the basics of flight.

3) Artificial assistance... what I mean by that, is this nano quad has no gps/compass to keep it's position, so you are flying completely manually, which means you have to compensate for all aerodynamic factors: motor speed to climb, hover or descend; aileron and rudder control to compensate for wind drift, etc. All of which are necessary skills to master, if you need to fly the H without GPS, or in an situation where you lose GPS. The one thing the H will do however, is hover at a neutral center stick position.

The following is a list of things you never knew you needed... until now:

Batteries - when you decide 2 with the kit won't cut it
Ultrax 6300mAh 14.8v 4S replacement lipo battery for Yuneec Typhoon H drone RC Hexacopter

Battery charge markers
Turnigy Battery Charge Marker (10pcs/bag)

An Anemometer
https://www.amazon.com/RockyMars-Anemometer-Thermometer-Ventilation-Monitoring/dp/B01MAWQR7G/

I fully endorse the EV Peak charger... the one thing it does not do is monitor the internal resistance of your batteries... but this meter will take care of that (you will need a balancing lead adapter to use with the H batteries):

https://www.amazon.com/TOMTOP-Digital-Battery-Capacity-Checker/dp/B0154BS37Q/ref=sr_1_5

A Prop Balancer

https://www.amazon.com/Du-Bro-499-Tru-Spin-Prop-Balancer/dp/B0006N72Y8/ref=sr_1_1

If you decide that the OEM sunshade won't cut it...

https://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-Drone-Aviator-Hood-iPad/dp/B01CEP215A

Spare props, landing gear and gimbal mounts... all cheap enough to keep on hand, so you do not have to wait on shipping time when you crash. All easy enough repairs that any pilot should do yourself.
All Yuneec OEM Parts

Last edited:
Reactions: rdonson
WOW, Eagle's Eye. That list will take a while to study.
Thanks!

Yeh. Some good tips as well, although I do not like extra cables or other hassle etcetera so I have the Peak charger and only bought one extra set of six Yuneec props (package still not opened since february). Sunshade never left the bag either, except for the one time I tried how it works, and I use tree tops for an anemometer.

Nevertheless the H is my first copter and I only flew a RC glider for one season 35 years ago. Never had any (serious) problems or crash because the H is a darling to fly. I have to admit I am a (hang-glider) pilot for over 35 years and that is pretty intuitive business as well.

For trainers I bought the simulator tho. Very good gadget to get used to the controls! Maybe less fun then a Blade Nano, but indestructible and very to the point because you fly the virtual Typhoon H by ST-16. And if you start to fly the real H start out with modest exercises in a wide and open field at a sunny day with nor to much wind. Best (well... I thought that it was smart so this is what I did) fly a sort of program you conceived while flying the simulator to get the feel of the real H in real air.

Have fun!

I'd like to add Terrestrial Imaging to that list, who is also a Yuneec authorized full service dealer with great after sale support. At the moment Yuneec is sponsoring a Black Friday sale through all their dealers. The current sale pricing is about as low as I've seen it since the H was released and see no reason for it to go much lower in the next month or so.

BTW, Terrestrial is another vendor that produces numerous tutorial videos for publication at You Tube.

Thanks PatR!!!!!!

Talked with Mike at Terrestrial for a long time and made the purchase! I am pumped to say the least!

I bought an h back in May, I had some issues right off the bat, on my 8th flight clipped a tree and had a hard landing which resulted in a disconnect fly away into a tree, then it fell into a small pond. I bought mine direcly from yuneec thinking they were the manudacturer, who would be better? BIG MISTAKE... they would not honor any warrantee for the fly away and were just terrible with their customer service. Took 2 weeks to respond to initial email, 2 hours each time I called etc. So my advice... DO NOT BUY DIRECT FROM YUNEEC. That said after I fixed my h myself (200 bucks, and a bit of help from some great forum members like Steve Carr and Bob. I think there was a faulty flight controller on the H from the start (but that is a side topic) I love my H from a ease of flight aspect. Skip the realsense, not worth the cost get some batteries instead as me tinned above.

I would say in my opinion, the camera is not the best and I expected more. Don't anticipate getting any nice sunset shots, low light and this camera do not mix.

If I was to do it all over, I would buy from Carolina Drones. They have been super helpful even though i did not buy my drone from them, and I got through to Frank the owner in a minute and a half on the phone. That to me says a lot about to me about their customer service... I never say good luck, so "Crash and burn"!

Sure Bet, there are a good number of ways to improve the videography with the H480. The E90 on the H520 is a MUCH better camera but you gotta pay for it. The CGO3+ can work well unless you're a serious cinematographer.

Anyway, have you looked into manually setting the video controls, exposure, shutter speed, WB, etc.? Have you tried ND filters and ND grad filters?

Regards,
Ron

Last edited:
Something to consider is a backpack
This one work great for me
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...age_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=yuneecpilots-20
and my Review from last year when I received it
CHEAP Backpack for Typhoon H review
Also watch this from Captain Drone on how to store your props

Just a note that the above backpack is the BP001 for the Typhoon that ships in the more "egg" shaped foam.
There is also a BP002 for the, I guess, Pro version or Retail Color Box that ships in a more square foam.
I bought my package from Dell as I've got an account with them and was promised extra props, extra battery and backpack. Price was reasonable as again, I have an account with them and didn't have cash in hand to buy my H.
Anyway, took a few calls and raising heck but I got my battery and extra set of props BUT I got the BP001 backpack!
I'll be darned if Dell DOESN'T sell the BP002 backpack sooooo I've got a backpack I can't use and still fighting Dell to get one I can use..

Moral I guess is to be sure of what you are promised and also that what you are promised will work with what you buy..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold