Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Questions for the Experienced guys about the video recording and its playback issues

Reaction score
Gentlemen, (technicality my 5th flight...um the 3rd one was rather interesting..But very informational..

Typhoon H CGO3+ 4K camera

Has a ultra HD SD Card 64gb

I build, maintain and erect communication towers and thought hey this might be a great avenue to explore and give the customer a different aspect of how they view thier structures and to date been hiring others for the use of drone perspectives..

I purchased the Typhoon H pro w/real sense in a trade last week ...thought I was the the red baron and can fly anything and do anything then 3 days later purchased a brand new one as a replacement...Ill post that drama series in a new episode with a date yet to be named...but the great thing is I now have alot of spare parts and items... all except the drone itself :) (Is the typhoon waterproof for more then a day?) lmao

My Question is while recording video all goes well no issues but when i take it from my sd and or the st16 the playback on the pc or other seems to be a bit choppy and or have video lines in the playback...Now i assume my pc could be the culprit but i wanted to hear from the forum to see if this is a issues they have dealt with ...

I did a forum search and turned up not what i was looking for...

In any case i have a link here for a folder in my google drive that I will use for uploads of videos and pics from our recordings of towers etc so if you all could look at the videos and let me know if you see the issues also in the videos with choppiness and pan issues with the video.

OTOW - Google Drive

Thank you all and the forum has been overly helpful just reading everyone's tips and tricks..

Thank you, Robbie

Last edited:
Reactions: Murray Martz
Hi Robbie,

Welcome to the forum.
Pity to have to understand you tried to learn your H to swim....

The file on the google drive seems to be uploaded as a wide screen video, 720P.
Try making a video in full HD (1080P) or 4K, should be much better. Try to pan slowly for smooth playback.

Playback from the ST-16 is always poor and in 720P max also.

The SD card needs to be a U-3 card for best performance in full HD and certainly in 4K.

Dr. Delta is on the mark.

Depending on your needs I'd also recommend shooting video in 4K UHD. It easy to go from 4K to HD but once you're in HD you really don't want to try to uprez to 4K.

Learn about shooting video on the H if you haven't already. Lots of settings that will make a difference in how your video looks.

As you say, your PC could be part of the problem. It needs sufficient compute and graphics card power for best results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen, (technicality my 5th flight...um the 3rd one was rather interesting..But very informational..

I build, maintain and erect communication towers and thought hey this might be a great avenue to explore and give the customer a different aspect of how they view thier structures and to date been hiring others for the use of drone perspectives..

I purchased the Typhoon H pro w/real sense in a trade last week ...thought I was the the red baron and can fly anything and do anything then 3 days later purchased a brand new one as a replacement...Ill post that drama series in a new episode with a date yet to be named...but the great thing is I now have alot of spare parts and items... all except the drone itself :) (Is the typhoon waterproof for more then a day?) lmao

My Question is while recording video all goes well no issues but when i take it from my sd and or the st16 the playback on the pc or other seems to be a bit choppy and or have video lines in the playback...Now i assume my pc could be the culprit but i wanted to hear from the forum to see if this is a issues they have dealt with ...

In any case i have a link here for a folder in my google drive that I will use for uploads of videos and pics from our recordings of towers etc so if you all could look at the videos and let me know if you see the issues also in the videos with choppiness and pan issues with the video.

OTOW - Google Drive

Thank you all and the forum has been overly helpful just reading everyone's tips and tricks..

Thank you, Robbie
Here is a link to a post that was made the other day that covers some of it.
4k glitches in video

I know the rest has been discussed many times at length on here. I would suspect you are not using very good key words in your search or more would have come up.

Other factors not mention in the link are video card and process speed. The higher the res, the more power required to edit and play back. Using the correct micro sd card is a huge factor. Also, the playback of the file stored on the ST16 may be bad at times as it is only a stored preview of the file that is contained on the micro sd card in the camera.

You need a system that is as good at performing as a lot of good gaming systems that are out there, as games have the same type of demands.

Hi Tower King.
Others have answered your questions about the poor video. You need to be looking at the video from the sd card in the camera not the ST16 if that's what you are doing.

However, I picked up from your opening post that you are using a sUAS to show clients their communication towers. Now I don't know where you are, but I presume you are in the U.S.A. If so, then what you are doing with your aircraft amounts to a commercial operation and not recreational. That being so, you will need to have the necessary approval from your FAA...a part 107 for example. If in the U.K., then you need a PfCO from the CAA.

I'm not here to criticize you if you don't have a part107 (and I hope you do), I'm just giving you a 'heads up' since if you are caught doing commercial work without the proper authorization then the powers-that-be can come down hard on you.

Just a friendly heads up;)

Reactions: Tower_King
Hi Tower King.
Others have answered your questions about the poor video. You need to be looking at the video from the sd card in the camera not the ST16 if that's what you are doing.

However, I picked up from your opening post that you are using a sUAS to show clients their communication towers. Now I don't know where you are, but I presume you are in the U.S.A. If so, then what you are doing with your aircraft amounts to a commercial operation and not recreational. That being so, you will need to have the necessary approval from your FAA...a part 107 for example. If in the U.K., then you need a PfCO from the CAA.

I'm not here to criticize you if you don't have a part107 (and I hope you do), I'm just giving you a 'heads up' since if you are caught doing commercial work without the proper authorization then the powers-that-be can come down hard on you.

Just a friendly heads up;)

Totally understood......and so I can circumvent the obvious I'll just FLY under the modeler banner for the time being and register that while I complete the other 107 items..

99% of this will be rural areas and heck were lucky if we see people let alone be a worry to anything that could cause or alert issue... but I am going to go the straight route just make sure.....and also that I can pass the first time...

Totally understood......and so I can circumvent the obvious I'll just FLY under the modeler banner for the time being and register that while I complete the other 107 items..

99% of this will be rural areas and heck were lucky if we see people let alone be a worry to anything that could cause or alert issue... but I am going to go the straight route just make sure.....and also that I can pass the first time...
Fair enough. But do please be aware that if a certified commercial pilot becomes aware of your activities and comes to the conclusion that your activities are amounting to taking business from them, then they may decide to report you. Remember that money does not necessarily have to change hands to make a flight operation a commercial one. If it's helping your business to do with maintaining towers even though your clients aren't specifically paying for the flight, it will still be seen as a commercial operation.

You are in the U.S.A. so your activities are not going to effect my business here in the U.K...not one jot, so I'm just giving you a bit of helpful friendly advice. If, on the other hand, you were conducting commercial operations without approval in the North West of England, say, well enough said.

As said above, don't post any video from your tower work on YouTube and keep your head low. The FAA does watch YouTube.;)

OTOW - Google Drive

Thank you, Robbie
Hello Robbie,
I downloaded the longer of your 2 videos to view it resident on my computer.. First you are shooting at 720p at 25fps which is a European or PAL standard which is probably why you have the blur and the bottom of the screen and the jerky playback. Don't know where you are located but 30fps is a better way to go for playback on your computer. Make sure you have a class 10 card that supports a high data rate (at least 80mbps). I would also switch to 1080p30 if you are not going to edit the footage and just upload it. 4K will obviously give you better resolution but you would need a software program like Brorsoft (and the knowledge to use it) to convert it to 1080p30 so you can view it on an average computer. Keep after it you will get there. The H is a great drone. The CGO3+ is an OK camera but you need to dial it in to get the most from it. The c23 will be a better camera with a 1" sensor rather than the 1/2" in the CGO3+ for what you are doing. Not available yet but allegedly will be in late March or April of this year. I hope this helps! All the best, Jim

Last edited:

Just posting the video on line has gotten people in trouble with the FAA, if it appears they are commercial.....

Fair enough. But do please be aware that if a certified commercial pilot becomes aware of your activities and comes to the conclusion that your activities are amounting to taking business from them, then they may decide to report you. Remember that money does not necessarily have to change hands to make a flight operation a commercial one. If it's helping your business to do with maintaining towers even though your clients aren't specifically paying for the flight, it will still be seen as a commercial operation.

You are in the U.S.A. so your activities are not going to effect my business here in the U.K...not one jot, so I'm just giving you a bit of helpful friendly advice. If, on the other hand, you were conducting commercial operations without approval in the North West of England, say, well enough said.

As said above, don't post any video from your tower work on YouTube and keep your head low. The FAA does watch YouTube.;)

Totally agree with the above. As both a commercial pilot and commercial drone operator when I see others doing what is obviously commercial work I stop and talk with them. My purpose is to find out if they are commercially licensed, or not. If not I try to get contact info pretending to be a potential client, and where I can view some of their finished product. From there the info goes straight to an FAA FSDO office for formal investigation.

Those flying under the hobby banner for hire or to promote their business are thieves taking food from the tables of those that have expended the time, money, and effort to operate a legal commercial business.

Unlicensed hobbyists operating commercially is wrong no matter how you look at it. I have no sympathy for them when they get their equipment confiscated and fined thousands of $$. Those that hire unlicensed operators are subject to even larger fines.

Last edited:
Totally agree with the above. As both a commercial pilot and commercial drone operator when I see others doing what is obviously commercial work I stop and talk with them. My purpose is to find out if they are commercially licensed, or not. If not I try to get contact info pretending to be a potential client, and where I can view some of their finished product. From there the info goes straight to an FAA FSDO office for formal investigation.

Those flying under the hobby banner for hire or to promote their business are thieves taking food from the tables of those that have expended the time, money, and effort to operate a legal commercial business.

Unlicensed hobbyists operating commercially is wrong no matter how you look at it. I have no sympathy for them when they get their equipment confiscated and fined thousands of $$. Those that hire unlicensed operators are subject to even larger fines.
You know what is funny about this deal ? If my neighbor says he will pay me to take a picture of his property...that is against the law...now if I take that same picture for free, using my same drone it is not against the law.......I use the same drone, the same air space and get the same picture, my neighbor is happy and it did not cost me a cent, sense I was already out playing with my drone............As far as my neighbor hiring you to take that picture, he could not afford to pay you a few thousand dollars to take a picture of his home.....Just because you have a commercial, does not make you an arm of the federal police, hunting other pilots...I have a Commercial Helicopter ticket, I don't go hunting other pilots, just because I think they may take some job, I was never considered for in the first place..............Now all that garbage being said....you should not be accepting money, without a commercial licenses....at the same time, the FAA wants to treat these small drones like commercial aircraft, with all the rules and regulations I go through for flying a real full size helicopter , which is totally ridiculous....... I am a hobby drone flyer, I take video every time I fly, watch it on my computer when I am done...if my neighbor likes some picture I take as I fly by, I will give him a copy...FREE as a friend, no money, not commercial ............Just like taking a picture with my video camera or still camera........

The difference between your commercial rotary ticket and a drone is not everyone with a enough money to buy a consumer drone is going to compete against your helicopter operations. This is precisely what is taking place with drones, as has been so well described earlier.

Another issue, one commonly occurring, is amateur drone operators often demonstrate little or no regard for flight safety. Get the shot, no matter what, no matter where, who cares if people are underneath. When something happens, as it did in New York, they say they didn’t know about any rules and we all suffer for it.

Hobby flyers operating for hire are uninsured and that expense item makes them vastly cheaper than a legitimate commercial operator. No commercial operator can compete in price for services against an unlicensed, uninsured operator. How would you feel if you were put out of business by a unlicensed contractor that cut their rates by avoiding aircraft maintenance, foregoing insurance, stealing fuel to keep the aircraft running, etc. might you feel all the money you spent on training, equipment, and meeting regulatory requirements were wasted?

Last edited:
Reactions: FlushVision
The difference between your commercial rotary ticket and a drone is not everyone with a enough money to buy a consumer drone is going to compete against your helicopter operations. This is precisely what is taking place with drones, as has been so well described earlier.
You are right about that,but also, the quality of the service, the commercial drone pilot gives, is by far superior to some hobby drone pilot, it just depends on the quality of service needed for a particular item...Now I am not against enforcing the laws....what bothers me is somebody going hunting other pilots and playing policeman, for the government...if the FAA catches him fine.....but I don't like the idea of disgruntled citizens ,going around reporting other drone pilots, just because they can.......Yes they are breaking the law....NO you are not a policeman, just because you think you might have gotten that gig..... you probably would not........And I still they are way over regulating these stupid little drones, now the big commercial sized over 55 pounds, I would say yes they need some regs. at that weight they are getting as big as a small plane.............Oh I just thought of something funny....I could take a kite, put one of these cameras on it with the same mount and fly the kite up there and take a picture holding it with a string, and there would be no law against it...........I think I am over thinking this, aren't I ? Sorry about that.......Have a great day and keep cool...and keep flying.............

You are right about that,but also, the quality of the service, the commercial drone pilot gives, is by far superior to some hobby drone pilot, it just depends on the quality of service needed for a particular item...Now I am not against enforcing the laws....what bothers me is somebody going hunting other pilots and playing policeman, for the government...if the FAA catches him fine.....but I don't like the idea of disgruntled citizens ,going around reporting other drone pilots, just because they can.......Yes they are breaking the law....NO you are not a policeman, just because you think you might have gotten that gig..... you probably would not........And I still they are way over regulating these stupid little drones, now the big commercial sized over 55 pounds, I would say yes they need some regs. at that weight they are getting as big as a small plane.............Oh I just thought of something funny....I could take a kite, put one of these cameras on it with the same mount and fly the kite up there and take a picture holding it with a string, and there would be no law against it...........I think I am over thinking this, aren't I ? Sorry about that.......Have a great day and keep cool...and keep flying.............
If I came to the conclusion that a hobby flier was doing a commercial job (for money or other consideration) that I could reasonably expect a chance of getting, then I would see that as potentially adversely affecting my business. For me, if anyone was doing so within 30 miles or so from my base of operations, then I would see that as illegal competition and so I would make the CAA aware of that illegal operation.

On the other hand, I wouldn't approach any pilot that looks like they are conducting a commercial operation in the field to interrogate them although I do understand Pat's stance on this. He feels strongly about it since it's Pat's bread and butter. I'm retired from a 'proper' job and do the commercial sUAS flying just to help keep me from going completely insane. I'm just looking for money to cover my costs but I do charge the going rate (I'm competitive but don't undercut those that do it to put food on the table) so in this respect, I would report any illegal commercial operations to protect other commercial pilots in my locality just as much as myself. I wouldn't go chasing them but if they come to my attention I will point the CAA in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dilly Joat
If I came to the conclusion that a hobby flier was doing a commercial job (for money or other consideration) that I could reasonably expect a chance of getting, then I would see that as potentially adversely affecting my business. For me, if anyone was doing so within 30 miles or so from my base of operations, then I would see that as illegal competition and so I would make the CAA aware of that illegal operation.

On the other hand, I wouldn't approach any pilot that looks like they are conducting a commercial operation in the field to interrogate them although I do understand Pat's stance on this. He feels strongly about it since it's Pat's bread and butter. I'm retired from a 'proper' job and do the commercial sUAS flying just to help keep me from going completely insane. I'm just looking for money to cover my costs but I do charge the going rate (I'm competitive but don't undercut those that do it to put food on the table) so in this respect, I would report any illegal commercial operations to protect other commercial pilots in my locality just as much as myself. I wouldn't go chasing them but if they come to my attention I will point the CAA in the right direction.
OK I am 71 years old now and yes retired......but I have never been so competitive ,that I would turn in other citizens to the federal government, just to make myself fell better..I came along just as WW2 , but still remember how Germany worked and how the party made it's citizens turn in anybody they thought were misbehaving ,or against the party........you would think somebody from the U.K. might remember some of that.......not that you are wrong....it just doesn't set well with me......it is not like you are going out and shooting somebody, it is just taking a picture and maybe getting payed for it.....not enough to turn citizens against citizens, the world is already divided enough.........and as enjoyable as this has been, I think this conversation has gone on long enough.........have a wonderful day, and stay safe..................

OK I am 71 years old now and yes retired......but I have never been so competitive ,that I would turn in other citizens to the federal government, just to make myself fell better..I came along just as WW2 , but still remember how Germany worked and how the party made it's citizens turn in anybody they thought were misbehaving ,or against the party........you would think somebody from the U.K. might remember some of that.......not that you are wrong....it just doesn't set well with me......it is not like you are going out and shooting somebody, it is just taking a picture and maybe getting payed for it.....not enough to turn citizens against citizens, the world is already divided enough.........and as enjoyable as this has been, I think this conversation has gone on long enough.........have a wonderful day, and stay safe..................
Thank you bb1040.
I do understand what you are saying and you are quite right about the appalling situation in WW2. But let me just reiterate, I wouldn't actively chase people doing illegal operations, just report those that came to my attention who are doing those operations in the local area that I operate and only people who I think could have an impact on my little business. That's simply a case of protecting my interests and the interests of those legal operators in my area.

In the great scheme of things I don't do that many jobs...I'm a bit picky about what I do, but I at least I expect a level playing field from my competition, as they should expect the same from me. A hobby flyer doing commercial jobs just isn't cricket.

I agree. Let's call a line to this conversation.

With respect.

bb1040

I see your point completely, and actually agree with it from a moralistic position. However, I've seen far too many people going out of their way to defeat the licensed, responsible aspects of commercial drone operations, seeking any angle they can possible imagine to claim that what they are doing is not commercial while still accepting money for their related work. At a personal level I've had to stand by and watch a company use several of their cheapest employees to fly Inspires to perform power line inspections on a multi hundred thousand $$ contract. Neither the company or the operators were licensed for commercial flight activities, nor was a CoA obtained for their activities. Better still, they were performing "in flight" testing of a new system to replace one crashed the previous day, all within 1/4 mile of the end of an active, high traffic, rural uncontrolled airport. Then we have the real estate agents buying a drone to promote their listings without any training or regulatory review at all.

The first thing someone looking to buy a product or service reviews is price. If they encounter a fee for a service that starts at $20.00 and compares that to a "competitor" providing the same service that starts at $100.00 or $200.00, guess who they choose. Personally, I've tried talking reason to the unlicensed, violating the law people and got absolutely nowhere with them. In one form or another they tell the legitimate operator to pi$$ off, they will do as they want, they have a right to fly, and they aren't hurting anyone. So as a legal commercial operator, one that has to buy advertising and pay for an annual liability insurance policy, with the insurance cost amortized across their annual flight hours, whether they fly or not, what do you do? Do you stand by and do nothing, watch them put you out of business, perhaps put the public at risk, or do you take the only other action available to you and report them? Do nothing and you will most certainly lose your business and all you've invested in it to people operating illegally. Do something and perhaps, just perhaps, you will be able to land a job and offset some of the costs that establishes your legitimacy. If I don't protect my business and livelihood, who will? If the agencies charged with enforcing the law are not made aware of those violating the law, how can the law be enforced?

Edmund Burke once said: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” The principle is essentially the same when dealing with illegal commercial drone operators.

Hi All,
I have just caught up with this and I agree strongly with the sentiment that the unlicensed ones are virtually robbing us of our hard paid for licenses and insurances,etc,etc. We have a huge amount of Cowboys doing that over here in Australia, mainly realestate,but as soon as you let the agent know that they are just as guilty and liable to prosecution as the cowboy some change there ways but only some as the almighty $$$$$$$ comes to agents as well. Then they need to be reported as most are dangerous and it is evident in there photos with people in the foresground and underneath the aircraft while being used. I don't mind competing on an even playing field but not when you have one leg tied up behind your back from the start. Johnno Hennessy
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval