Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Range Problems (Stock) Seeking better link only NO BREAKING LAWS

Reaction score
Range Problems

First off let me state I am only in search of a reliable link im not trying to break any rules and I would never want to be responsible for a black eye to our hobby however im having trouble getting good video and telemetry feeds past 600 ft away. I have a half mile of property so I would like to go out at least 2000ft. I have tried different orientation of the remote keeping a clean line of sight etc however I get about 5-600 ft out and video gets choppy then loss of telemetry if I keep going. I have got to 1100 ft out but the video is choppy I do plan on purchasing a better antenna setup but I feel as though it should be way way better after watching some of these youTube videos with stock setups going out thousands.

Everything is stock and I can provide whatever data may be needed to help me troubleshoot.

Thanks

Are there some strong wifi signals where you're flying ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even in urban settings that seems very short distance. However, you should try a different location to see if you get the same result. I've gone out to 3000' before losing signal with stock antennas.

Reactions: anthony h-ellary
Even though my property goes out far towards a lake i did find like 5 wifi signals with a wifi detector app. I was actually very suprised being that my nearest neighbor is 100 ft away from where im at.

Are the directional antennas effected as much by the local wifi in my area?
Is there any other solution cause i surely love my h but im not moving to get better video
Thanks

There are a number of different antennas you can use. Carolina Dronz sells the Itelite with a mount that fastens to the ST16 very easily and is fast to put on or remove. I think it's around $115.
I have some cheaper ones but I haven't tried them yet.

I understand that uograding the antenna will help and i will but am windering why i get no where near the range im seeing posted. Theres a video of a stock guy going over 5000 ft out. I dont want to upgrade if theres a problem.
I would be happy to get a clear 1000ft and from what i see here that should be no problem however im not getting even close to that with clear los

I understand that uograding the antenna will help and i will but am windering why i get no where near the range im seeing posted. Theres a video of a stock guy going over 5000 ft out. I dont want to upgrade if theres a problem.
I would be happy to get a clear 1000ft and from what i see here that should be no problem however im not getting even close to that with clear los
I agree. You should get much better range. The fact that you are losing video and telemetry makes it more difficult to troubleshoot. The video is 5.8MHz and the telemetry is 2.4MHz so they are different boards in the TX and the H. The camera has an internal antenna for video. I presume you have the mushroom antenna pointed at the H and the stick antenna vertical?

You could call Yuneec and see if there is anything you could try short of returning it. Also, you could reinstall the updates on the H and ST16. Remove the antennas and inspect the center pin inside of each connector on the ST16. The center contact on the antennas is simply a hole with a brass insert to make contact.

You really need to test the bird at a different location as well to make certain you aren't dealing with any interference.

Onthebrinc, do you know if there is another Typhoon H owner in your area? It would be worth seeing if a) he/she gets similar range on your property, and b) how the range compares when your ST16 is bound to the other Typhoon H, and how the other ST16 does with your Typhoon H.

Did you ever turn on your ST16 without the antennas attached? Are the connectors for all the antennas tight?

Took it to work and just flew at lunch, 3000 ft no problem. It has to be all the wifi in my backyard but thats super disapointing. I want to use ir at home the most.

Any possible solutions?

Reactions: Steve Carr
Took it to work and just flew at lunch, 3000 ft no problem. It has to be all the wifi in my backyard but thats super disapointing. I want to use ir at home the most.

Any possible solutions?
Great to find the problem is not the hardware. The only solution I can think of at this point is ungraded antennas.

That still seems incredibly strange given the relatively isolated location. A handful of WiFi networks shouldn't cause problems, and I would also expect there to be more 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz activity at your place of work than on your property. It simply doesn't make sense that the situation isn't reversed.

I wonder if one of your neighbors is using equipment that doesn't comply with FCC regulations and transmits at a much higher power level to try to get more range -- that's not unheard of. You'd need a spectrum analyzer to figure that out, and see who is responsible.

A spectrum analyzer is a specialized (and expensive) tool for visualizing RF signals, measuring activity and power levels. It's not something you would buy on a whim.

Range Problems

First off let me state I am only in search of a reliable link im not trying to break any rules and I would never want to be responsible for a black eye to our hobby however im having trouble getting good video and telemetry feeds past 600 ft away. I have a half mile of property so I would like to go out at least 2000ft. I have tried different orientation of the remote keeping a clean line of sight etc however I get about 5-600 ft out and video gets choppy then loss of telemetry if I keep going. I have got to 1100 ft out but the video is choppy I do plan on purchasing a better antenna setup but I feel as though it should be way way better after watching some of these youTube videos with stock setups going out thousands.

Everything is stock and I can provide whatever data may be needed to help me troubleshoot.

Thanks
Have you tried to turn the H 180degrees in order to face the cam & H antenna towards you? = fly backwards.

Flying backwards had no positive effect for me on distance. Im now getting out to 3000ft with itelite dbs but my telemetry still gets spotty at 1500 ft.

I've had the same problem sometimes. Today I had latest problem where i wasn't able to get steady video link even from 30-100 ft. away. Video just kept freezing from 10 seconds up to a minute. I was filming in the same location yesterday and i didn't have any problems then. And this has happened couple times before. For example couple weeks ago i flew one battery without any problems but when i changed a battery my range decreased by a lot and i was flying from exactly same spot to an exactly same location. Worst case was when i couldn't get steady video link even when antennas were touching each other. And still sometimes i can get up to 3000 ft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval