Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

RealSence technology memory

Reaction score
Dear Team,
I am considering to enhance my H with RS. But before trowing some money i am wondering about this "learning method"
If it detects obsticle is it remembering it forever? Or only during flight. If i avoid obsticle while moving forward, will it alarm for going backward?
I know sensors are only in front, but they claim remembering obsticles :)

Thank you in advanced and sorry if post is somewhere allready available.

Kind regards

2 good examples of it in action still haven't put it to the test myself
the backwards bit that you have said the h will turn so that it is always flying forwards if in follow me mode ( have also read that it is supposed to remember ?? whether this is true to the next flight i haven't seen that written anywhere )

example 1
example 2

This is the point - i do not care of follow me mode. But in flying myself. And no video about pilot/drone/RS interaction i cam find. About remembering it is the website - "if it avoids an obstacle once, it will remember the location of the obstacle and automatically know to avoid it."

You'll find a lot YouTube videos on RealSense with the TH480. I'm not sure how many detail what it can't do.

The TH480 w/RealSense has sensors forward and downwards.

Limitations:
- no sensors to the sides
- no sensors to the rear
- no sensors above

A number of people have been bit by the lack of sensors above. They go into the woods and while under a tree expect the RS to somehow figure out that there is a canopy above and to negotiate a path to a clear spot where it can go up. Ain't gonna happen.

Another one that bites pilots is the restriction of flying directly into the sun with RS on. RS can get quite confused. Things could end badly.

If you understand what it can do well and it matches up to your needs it might be fun. I have it on one of my TH480s but after trying it out several times I found that the features weren't all that appealing to me. I've rarely engaged the RS since.

Then just a stupid question - what makes a 350€ sensor better than the US allready build in? Except maybe some "intelligence"?? not speeking going up - just front and back..

Then just a stupid question - what makes a 350€ sensor better than the US allready build in? Except maybe some "intelligence"?? not speeking going up - just front and back..

The built in sensor is pretty limited. It is a sonic sensor. The RS is more sophisticated.

It will save information about obstacles according to Intel and Yuneec. They don't say how much storage the RS module has or if its non-destructive memory. I wouldn't count on it remembering obstacles for a long time though.

Last edited:
flying by eye anyway do you really need it only reason i have it is that it came with the h that i got second hand. Only ever turned it on once that was because i was flying close to a sloping hill and could not work out how close i was ( it was to do a reveal as i flew up and away )
but i can see it being useful in the second video for follow me on a bike gives me a good reason to get my bike out and try to get a bit of exercise

I thought it would save me from myself when I first started flying. Nawwww..... stupidity wins every time. :)

After learning how to use the RS I just haven't found myself using again. I might just not be adventuresome or a selfie kind of guy though.

Last 2 comments give my question a response.
Thank you. You just saved me 350€ :)
We need to have a beer. Bulgaria somewhere or currently Wipperfurth Germany :D

Dear Team,
I am considering to enhance my H with RS. But before trowing some money i am wondering about this "learning method"
If it detects obsticle is it remembering it forever? Or only during flight. If i avoid obsticle while moving forward, will it alarm for going backward?
I know sensors are only in front, but they claim remembering obsticles :)

Thank you in advanced and sorry if post is somewhere allready available.

Kind regards
From watching various videos I had the impression that once ReaiSense could see the objects in an area a 3D map of the area would be in memory. While attempting to verify this I flew forward as closely as possible to a bush with rather spidly vertical branches. The drone wouldn't move closer so I spent a bit of time going up and down and sideways. I backed away from the bush, turned around and attempted to back into the bush. I was very close to the top and it didn't appear to be stopping, rather than flying forward, I somewhat panicked and moved the left stick down. The drone ended up in the bush. No damage. It just tipped sideways and slid down the branches.
As I'm new to this I may have had the switch in the wrong position or made some other rookie mistake so do not treat this as gospel. I suspect that there is no memory of the area but am curious as to the experiences of others.

Reactions: thetrecker
HaHa yes you can now afford to buy us 1 with your spare 350 euro lol the only problem is it will cost more than that to get to you

I have it on both H Pluses and never use them. I find it to be more of an added weight than a useful tool. Others may disagree but I wouldn't spend the money to add the module. I only care to use it for indoor flying since it handles the IPS (Indoor Positioning Sensor) portion of the drone.

Reactions: AH-1G and PatR

Thank you. You just saved me 350€
Till you crashed your drone ..... repentance (always) comes too late

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daps20