Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Rear led blinks red and orange?

Reaction score
Hi I have a Typhoon Q500 4K what does it mean when the rear led blinks red and orange?

First guess would be the flight mode switch is in the bottom position (Home Mode), and you need a compass calibration.

Put the flight mode switch in the middle position, see if the red changes to purple.
Do a compass calibration, see if the orange goes away.

If that does not work, hook it to the GUI to see what the failure might be.

First guess would be the flight mode switch is in the bottom position (Home Mode), and you need a compass calibration.

Put the flight mode switch in the middle position, see if the red changes to purple.
Do a compass calibration, see if the orange goes away.

If that does not work, hook it to the GUI to see what the failure might be.
Thank you, where can I download a gui?

The link below is the GUI, but it requires a special USB dongle to make it work.
GUI Q500 Series - Dropbox

This is the GUI dongle:
Q500 Parts (yuneecskins.com)

But forget those for a few minutes.
The bigger issue is your question "can I calibrate compass if the controller doesn't recognize it?"
Do I take that to mean the drone is not bound?
Does the drone go into bind mode (orange flashing rear LED) when you tilt the drone forward two times?

The rate at which the rear LED is flashing makes a big difference in interpretation of the LED.
If the LED is flashing red at about 5 flashes per second, that's the RTH mentioned above, making the orange a notice of compass calibration needed.
If the drone is NOT bound, and the red is flashing at about 3 flashes per second, it means the drone is not even initialized, and the presence of the orange could mean the compass is not working at all. (unplugged, wire damaged, failed compass, etc.)

Has the top shell been removed recently?

Can you tell us anything that happened to the drone between the last time it worked, and the first time it did not?

The link below is the GUI, but it requires a special USB dongle to make it work.
GUI Q500 Series - Dropbox

This is the GUI dongle:
Q500 Parts (yuneecskins.com)

But forget those for a few minutes.
The bigger issue is your question "can I calibrate compass if the controller doesn't recognize it?"
Do I take that to mean the drone is not bound?
Does the drone go into bind mode (orange flashing rear LED) when you tilt the drone forward two times?

The rate at which the rear LED is flashing makes a big difference in interpretation of the LED.
If the LED is flashing red at about 5 flashes per second, that's the RTH mentioned above, making the orange a notice of compass calibration needed.
If the drone is NOT bound, and the red is flashing at about 3 flashes per second, it means the drone is not even initialized, and the presence of the orange could mean the compass is not working at all. (unplugged, wire damaged, failed compass, etc.)

Has the top shell been removed recently?

Can you tell us anything that happened to the drone between the last time it worked, and the first time it did not?
I just got it it was crashed and fixed but won't initialize, I am trying to get it to hook up before putting a lot of money in it. and thank you for getting back to me

I just got it it was crashed and fixed but won't initialize, I am trying to get it to hook up before putting a lot of money in it. and thank you for getting back to me
OK. That gives us more information to work with. You should take the top shell off, and take a good look at all the wiring. It is very common for wires to get trapped and damaged at the many pinch points between the top and bottom shells. Just because part of the flash is orange, I would suspect the compass wires, but you need to inspect everything.

Reactions: DoomMeister
OK. That gives us more information to work with. You should take the top shell off, and take a good look at all the wiring. It is very common for wires to get trapped and damaged at the many pinch points between the top and bottom shells. Just because part of the flash is orange, I would suspect the compass wires, but you need to inspect everything.
I cant find the plug to affix the usb interface on the 4K

I cant find the plug to affix the usb interface on the 4K
I have the usb interface

The plug is supposed to be inside the battery compartment door, on the right. You may have to remove the battery, and fish it out from the open part just inside the battery compartment on the right. And if it was not at least mounted somewhere close to where it's supposed to be, you may have to pull the top shell again to find it. If it is a true 4K, it will be a cable with an empty plug. If it is arranged like the older Q500, it will be two cables plugged into each other. On the older version, you have to disconnect them to install the updater plug.
Q500 Series Battery Door Connector Comparison.jpg

Reactions: DoomMeister
The plug is supposed to be inside the battery compartment door, on the right. You may have to remove the battery, and fish it out from the open part just inside the battery compartment on the right. And if it was not at least mounted somewhere close to where it's supposed to be, you may have to pull the top shell again to find it. If it is a true 4K, it will be a cable with an empty plug. If it is arranged like the older Q500, it will be two cables plugged into each other. On the older version, you have to disconnect them to install the updater plug.
View attachment 24711
I will pull top off tomorrow and try and find it thank you

Reactions: WTFDproject
Hi I pulled top off and found broken wires, fixed them but couldn't find GUI plug and now rear led flashes blue

Blue is good. It means the Q500 is initialized and ready to bind. I would first turn on the controller and see if it will automatically bind to the controller. Put the flight mode switch in the middle position. If the Q500 is already bound, the rear led will change to purple.
If the rear LED continues to flash blue, tilt the Q500 forward at least 45 degrees a couple of times, the rear LED will start flashing orange. Then you need to go through the normal binding process for the Drone/camera/controller. See pages 27 and 28 of the Users manual attached below manual as needed for the binding process.

The missing plug sounds like the guy that repaired it lost the "GUI Tap". That's gonna be hard to find, and pretty hard to find the connectors to make a homemade version. However, if you can see an orange light blinking when you look down through the left wing vent, you might be able to bind and fly until some need arises to use the GUI. A diagram of the missing connectors/Gui Tap can be found on Attachment 42 (Typhoon Q Series Receiver Connections) of the PDF document attached to Way To Fix Drones project

Attachments

• q500_4k_user_manual.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
OK. You will need to run the full binding diagnostics to find what is failing. Go to Attachment 32 (Q500 Binding Verification) of the PDF document attached to Way To Fix Drones project. Follow each step exactly, and do not skip any steps, not even the steps up front that establish the proper conditions. The verification will then begin a series of "action" steps, typically followed by "verification" steps. When you find a verification step that does not match what you see (or you are not sure if it matches or not), STOP. Do not continue in the document. Post what step failed, and what you saw, here to the Forum. That will give us a good idea of what is wrong.

It's possible the guy who installed it put the side with the light down, instead of up. It works either way, but makes it a distraction when doing the verification. If you still have the top shell off, you should be able to lift the reciever off the sticky tape and turn it over to see if the light is on the bottom side.
Did you get it to bind to the controller?

I have already put it together, it did bind and everything seems to work thank you very much for your help. I am giving the 4k to my brother and keeping the g.

Reactions: WTFDproject

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval