Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Recent Experience with Compass Calibration & NFZ

Reaction score
I'm one of those drone pilots that only does a compass calibration when the drone shows it needs it. That's me. If you calibrate before every flight than that is you and not me.

My Typhoon received a compass calibration when I received it long ago and has not had another one since that time. Normally I fly within 70 kilometers at various spots of the location where the compass was calibrated.

This week I drove 500 kilometers east of my last calibration location. I took off in a tight spot (plenty of trees around) and took the bird above the trees to hover. There was almost no wind. The Typhoon began to drift which is a sign that it could benefit from a compass calibration. I compensated for the drifting and performed a manual POI (i.e., flew the bird in a big circle without automation) while capturing video footage of an object. Once completed I released the controls to hover and it remained rock solid. Apparently it had figured out any compass deviation and adjusted for it. Flew 4 more flights over 2 days and the Typhoon remained rock solid in the air. Nice!

Second item was the No Fly Zone. I was in a large field about to takeoff when each press of the start button just produced a beep. Odd. The rear indicator light flashed white rapidly. I did a reboot of everything and this time I noticed that the ST16 flashed a screen which said I was in a NFZ. Really? I see no airport or special buildings.... I just see fields and trees. Well upon further inspection of the area there was indeed an airport about 3 kilometers in the woods used by the military for rotary wing aircraft. Thank you Google Maps satellite view or I'd still be scratching my head. So again, well done Yuneec.

I also agree with you about calibrating the Accelerometers.
If it is not broke don't fix it. I have only done mine once since I owned it.

Me too. Speaking about D Resolve, what is LUT, CD?
I think you wanted to post that question over in the CGO3+ Camera White Balance, Exposure, Post Processing thread. This thread is about compass calibration & NFC.

I can give you the short answer... LUT is an acronym for Look Up Table. It takes the source image (RAW video file) and adjusts it for the output (color grading, video editing, monitor, etc) so that all clips are treated the same. If LUTs work for you, use them, if not then don't bother.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval