Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Steve Carr

Missed Approach
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
60 day public comment period to start soon.

The document is only 319 pages of easy reading so I'm sure nearly everyone will read every single ludicrous detail.

60 day public comment period to start soon.

The document is only 319 pages of easy reading so I'm sure nearly everyone will read every single ludicrous detail.

Can't you give everyone the bullet points!

This proposal establishes design and production requirements for two categories of remote identification: standard remote identification UAS and limited remote identification UAS. Standard remote identification UAS would be required to broadcast identification and location information directly from the unmanned aircraft and simultaneously transmit that same information to a Remote ID USS through an internet connection. Limited remote identification UAS would be required to transmit information through the internet only, with no broadcast requirements; however, the unmanned aircraft would be designed to operate no more than 400 feet from the control station. Under this proposal, the vast majority of UAS would be required to comply with one of these two categories of remote identification. For those limited exceptions, which include certain amateur-built UAS and UAS manufactured prior to the compliance date, operators flying UAS without remote identification capabilities would be permitted to fly only at certain specific geographic areas established under this rule specifically to accommodate them.
This proposal envisions that within three years of the effective date of this rule, all UAS operating in the airspace of the United States will be compliant with the remote identification requirements. No UAS could be produced for operation in the United States after two years and no UAS could be operated after three years except in accordance with the requirements of this proposal
1. UAS Owners The FAA proposes to revise the registration requirements to require all owners of unmanned aircraft to register each unmanned aircraft individually when registering under part 48. Furthermore, the owners of standard or limited remote identification unmanned aircraft would have to provide the serial number of all unmanned aircraft registered under part 47 or part 48, on or before the 36th month after the effective date of the final rule. The serial number would establish the unique identity of the unmanned aircraft. The serial number provided during registration or re-registration would have to be issued by the producer of the unmanned aircraft and comply with the ANSI/CTA-2063-A serial number standard. Owners of unmanned aircraft used exclusively for limited recreational operations5 who currently register multiple aircraft under a single registration number would be required to register each aircraft, individually by manufacturer, model, and, if the unmanned aircraft is a standard or limited remote identification unmanned aircraft, the aircraft’s serial number, on or before the 36th month after the effective date of the final rule. The owners of small unmanned aircraft registered after the effective date of the final rule would have to comply with the new registration requirements prior to the operation of the unmanned aircraft.

Reactions: Manuel P
This proposal establishes design and production requirements for two categories of remote identification: standard remote identification UAS and limited remote identification UAS. Standard remote identification UAS would be required to broadcast identification and location information directly from the unmanned aircraft and simultaneously transmit that same information to a Remote ID USS through an internet connection. Limited remote identification UAS would be required to transmit information through the internet only, with no broadcast requirements; however, the unmanned aircraft would be designed to operate no more than 400 feet from the control station. Under this proposal, the vast majority of UAS would be required to comply with one of these two categories of remote identification. For those limited exceptions, which include certain amateur-built UAS and UAS manufactured prior to the compliance date, operators flying UAS without remote identification capabilities would be permitted to fly only at certain specific geographic areas established under this rule specifically to accommodate them.
This proposal envisions that within three years of the effective date of this rule, all UAS operating in the airspace of the United States will be compliant with the remote identification requirements. No UAS could be produced for operation in the United States after two years and no UAS could be operated after three years except in accordance with the requirements of this proposal
1. UAS Owners The FAA proposes to revise the registration requirements to require all owners of unmanned aircraft to register each unmanned aircraft individually when registering under part 48. Furthermore, the owners of standard or limited remote identification unmanned aircraft would have to provide the serial number of all unmanned aircraft registered under part 47 or part 48, on or before the 36th month after the effective date of the final rule. The serial number would establish the unique identity of the unmanned aircraft. The serial number provided during registration or re-registration would have to be issued by the producer of the unmanned aircraft and comply with the ANSI/CTA-2063-A serial number standard. Owners of unmanned aircraft used exclusively for limited recreational operations5 who currently register multiple aircraft under a single registration number would be required to register each aircraft, individually by manufacturer, model, and, if the unmanned aircraft is a standard or limited remote identification unmanned aircraft, the aircraft’s serial number, on or before the 36th month after the effective date of the final rule. The owners of small unmanned aircraft registered after the effective date of the final rule would have to comply with the new registration requirements prior to the operation of the unmanned aircraft.
I take it to upload your position you need an internet connection? Which would require a mobile phone, what about areas without signal coverage?

it going to the internet folks. yep you must upload your postion in the internet. all areas of no coverage you can forget being able to fly. the provider that you must use if they have an outage your grounded. no general public providers mandatory the providers can all be private and exclusive companies like UPS and local to certain regions of the usa or to just certain companies or uav like dji. and all AMA AND OTHE CBO site must be recertified in 12 or 24 months or lose the designated fly in site from that date forth and they will not add new ones in. then there is a new restriction for distance from control point for the limited id section which is 400ft max from control station. standard id there is no range restriction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warlocc
it also say for standard remote operation which is the type for 107 pilots. the aircraft must broadcast directly out to the net. so that means new hardware must be retro fitted. because you can not connect to the internet with the current st16s and the camera plus the main channel for stick control at the same time. currently you can not do even limited remote operation. and the faa as defined life of the uav aircraft to 3 years

After reading the proposal, I wonder if my 2018 Typhoon H is functionally compliant with being to transmit it's position to the internet so I can be spied on by the authorities. BeforeYouFly tracks my physical position based on the GPS in my phone so I am a bit confused on those details. If that is the case, my investment goes into the trash can.

You can give thanks to Amazon, UPS, FedEx, and any other service that will be offering fast drone delivery to your area.

Reactions: JackMTaco
After reading the proposal, I wonder if my 2018 Typhoon H is functionally compliant with being to transmit it's position to the internet so I can be spied on by the authorities. BeforeYouFly tracks my physical position based on the GPS in my phone so I am a bit confused on those details. If that is the case, my investment goes into the trash can.

The FAA says it will likely take 2 years to get tp a final rule. Then there is another 36 months of time for full implementation. So, there's plenty of time to sort out the details and not panic.

I cannot envision this proposal will survive in it's present form.

Most of the locations I fly have no cell service. Also no people and no aircraft save an occasional ultralight (which can be flown with no registration, no altitude restrictions and no distance limits). But you can be assured I'll not fly farther than 400' from the controller in those remote locations. :rolleyes:

Rather than my Yuneec becoming a useless mantle decoration, I see the value going up. Market demand for models like these will have an avid audience. Generally the public complies with regulations that are reasonable and ignore the ones that are overreach. When large population segments ignore those rules, enforcement is impossible without a vast army of bounty hunters. This proposal is so restrictive it fails to meet the "reasonable" test. The majority of the US is rural in nature and applying a rule for urban environments to the other 90% of the landscape doesn't fly.

The FAA's dismal track record enforcing blatant and irresponsible UAV videos posted on Facebook and Youtube is well known. So the solution they seem to have devised is to severely restrict flights so that a much larger segment of UAV owners will be in violation. Makes sense only if you are a bureaucrat. I supported the UAV registration and I support responsible and safe flying. I see no reason to support this proposal. None.

and home brewed uav faa does not expect those makers to even afford the cost to get certified for standard or limited. therefore they are limited to ama flying spots only.

• Haha
Reactions: DoomMeister
and home brewed uav faa does not expect those makers to even afford the cost to get certified for standard or limited. therefore they are limited to ama flying spots only.
Looks like Dji will have full reign, nobody else with the money to implement the new regs.

Personally I think they are taking this way too far.
Registering a drone is one thing. Uploading your location is something else.
What about right to privacy?

Thousands of dollars wasted because someone high up decides they dont like drones.
I wonder what the underlying cost is.
How many jobs will be lost because small manufacturers cant afford to put the new tech in their equipment.
DGI is already above most hobbyists budgets.
Why not just go the whole way and just ban drones completely because that's the way I see this going.
Make the hobby so expensive that people will just not bother doing it!

well they somewhat attempted to address privacy with session id method where law enforcement and faa would have detailed access to info but not general public

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval