Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

return to home on a low battery

Reaction score
DOES THE H RETURN TO HOME ON A LOW BATTERY ALL BY ISSELF DOES IT KNOW HOW FAR OUT IT IS AND CALCUATE WHEN TO COME BACK OR DOES IT JUST LAND THANKS

COREY

DOES THE H RETURN TO HOME ON A LOW BATTERY ALL BY ISSELF DOES IT KNOW HOW FAR OUT IT IS AND CALCUATE WHEN TO COME BACK OR DOES IT JUST LAND THANKS

COREY
It will try to land on the second battery warning . You should close to or on the ground before the first battery warning . It will limit your max height on the first warning but not return to home .

It will try to land on the second battery warning but gravity will take over if it’s too high to make it down in time.

COREY

If you want to:

A) Consistently be able to land without fear of the battery running out of power and
B) Minimize your battery cost by extending their life...

Land by 14.5 volts... that way if any issues arise, you will still have the time to be able to get on the ground before any warnings. If you are regularly waiting until 1st or 2nd warning to hit RTH to start back... you WILL crash... it's just a matter of when.

Last edited:
It will not return home in a low battery. Think about that; how far away is home, does the drone know how much battery it needs to get back, how much head wind is there to impact the return flight time? As the drone does not know the answers to those questions there is high risk a battery will be depleted before achieving “home”. Because of that Yuneec leaves the decision of when to fly back up to the user, who, hopefully, is smart enough to be paying attention to battery level.

I have hit both warnings a couple of times on each battery , but I had the aircraft only out about 300 feet from me and in a safe place to land fast. I only did this to get a base line of what I can expect from each battery. I noticed that if you hit the first battery warning and decide to haul butt back to where you took off from you run out of juice pretty fast and the second warning comes on .

Aside from thouse test I land at 14.5

I usuall try to land when having 14.9volts. You never know if you need that extra time to hover or something delays you approach to home.

I use 14.8v for return unless far away. In such cases I use a higher voltage level to determine when it needs to come back. The speed flown effects battery depletion much the same as a gas pedal works with a car. The faster you go the more fuel is consumed for the distance traveled. If the battery is low it’s better to limit throttle use to half speed. Jamming on the throttle puts a higher load on the battery and depletes it faster over the same distance covered at a lower throttle position.

Last edited:
As well, I've posted this tip in other threads... when clearance/obstructions allow, use the hypotenuse and descend simultaneously to returning... more than one member of this board has crashed, learning that altitude also counts as distance... in regard to battery depletion. ♫ Free Fallin' ♫

In fact, if you consider the 2 following scenarios, which crash will be more severe?

A) 10 feet in distance, from an altitude of 100 feet.
B) 125 feet in distance from an altitude of 6 feet.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval