Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Screen glare...

Reaction score
Is really bad on my ST16, even with the sun shade installed. I watch the TH rather than the video link when flying, but as it is, I can't even keep tabs on the telemetry without totally focusing on the controller, which means I'm NOT focusing on the bird! A lot can go wrong in 5 seconds spent messing around trying to read battery voltage, and I don't want to have to rely on pre-programmed battery voltage warnings. Has anyone found a way to reduce the glare, or some other method to make the screen readable in normal lighting conditions? At this point, the **** screen might as well be a mirror :mad:. Appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

Dave

Is really bad on my ST16, even with the sun shade installed. I watch the TH rather than the video link when flying, but as it is, I can't even keep tabs on the telemetry without totally focusing on the controller, which means I'm NOT focusing on the bird! A lot can go wrong in 5 seconds spent messing around trying to read battery voltage, and I don't want to have to rely on pre-programmed battery voltage warnings. Has anyone found a way to reduce the glare, or some other method to make the screen readable in normal lighting conditions? At this point, the **** screen might as well be a mirror :mad:. Appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

Dave

Hoodman Sunshade

Reactions: Phaedrus

Dave
I have the same problem. I did watch a video recently where it was apparent that some overlay was on the ST16 screen which reduced the glare. It was filmed inside so maybe the ambient lighting played a role but the reflections were substantially muted. I don't recall the video. Hopefully, someone can point us in the right direction.

+1 on the Hoodman shade. Also, try using non-polarized sunglasses. Polarized glasses play havoc with reading the screen.

Funny, I was thinking polarized glasses or screen saver would be the answer, it works on water when fishing. But I almost never wear sunglasses, and couldn't find a polarized screen saver, so just went with the NuSheild screen saver. Will post results once it gets here, and thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Later.

Dave

I used the Brotech matte screensaver for several months... but what I found is that it made the reflections more diffuse and (for me) just as difficult as without. The Hoodman is a much better solution than the OEM sunshade and makes going without a screensaver reasonable. Unfortunately if you are adjusting manual camera control, the ST-16 image is pretty dark in full sunlight.

Of course, the ultimate solution is not what you want to hear... from reports the ST-16S screen is significantly brighter, which would necessitate a platform upgrade.

I have the same problem. I did watch a video recently where it was apparent that some overlay was on the ST16 screen which reduced the glare. It was filmed inside so maybe the ambient lighting played a role but the reflections were substantially muted. I don't recall the video. Hopefully, someone can point us in the right direction.
After I posted I recalled picking up a 3M Privacy Filter at a thrift store several years ago. It has a matte finish. I was concerned about how tactile inputs would be affected but a brief trial looks very promising. I have to cut it to fit and it's overcast so I can't test it fully. When viewed head on the screen doesn't seem dimmed appreciably and the touch seems unaffected. It's 3M PF15.6W and it appears that 3 overlays can be cut from it. There are included tabs for mounting and it looks like they can be placed at the upper and lower corners without affecting anything. They have adhesive on one half and the overlay can be held in place by the halves that are not adhesive.

I used the Brotech matte screensaver for several months... but what I found is that it made the reflections more diffuse and (for me) just as difficult as without. The Hoodman is a much better solution than the OEM sunshade and makes going without a screensaver reasonable. Unfortunately if you are adjusting manual camera control, the ST-16 image is pretty dark in full sunlight.

Of course, the ultimate solution is not what you want to hear... from reports the ST-16S screen is significantly brighter, which would necessitate a platform upgrade.

I learned a long time ago to never say never, but as my primary purpose for having this is as a recon bird during wildfire season, it'll probably be awhile before I start thinking upgrade. Of course, that's assuming I don't get hooked on the videography/photography aspect, no telling what could happen in that case :eek:. Of course, if that happens, I'll probably end up building my own machine, I've barely gotten started with the TH and I'm already chafing a bit at the limitations of the ST16. My previous controller was a Taranis, and I could pretty much program EVERYTHING to do just about ANYTHING. I was wishing today that I could program the AUX button to turn GPS on and off, I was getting some TB again, turning off the GPS fixed it, as everyone said it would, but it would have been a little less nerve wracking to be able to do it without actually having to look at the controller. Having voice alerts for battery voltage and time in the air would be nice, too. Hmm, it sounds like I'm talking myself into buying another Taranis :rolleyes:. Later.

Dave

Good news, problem solved, bad news, it cost a mint.
Ive purchased the Epson bt35 glasses and can see the bird and all my data, expensive solution but worth every dollar

• Wow
Reactions: thetrecker
How about this?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1551442504475.jpg
    FB_IMG_1551442504475.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 25
For those interested, although a bit spendy, it looks like the Nushield will do the job, especially with the factory glare shield added. Screen is still bright and sharp, but even in full sun, it's still readable. Later.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ploomy