Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Securing the camera

Steve Carr

Missed Approach
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
A couple of years ago the CGO3 fell from my Q500 from max altitude. It was caused by a broken camera mount. Since that time I have gotten into the habit of securing the camera. It's unlikely to ever happen again but it's just a "feel good thing" for me.

20180107_213844.jpg 20180107_213943.jpg 20180107_213955.jpg

Looks like a bit of over kill to me;) I have to ask, had there been a crash at some point prior to the camera departure?

Looks like a bit of over kill to me;) I have to ask, had there been a crash at some point prior to the camera departure?
You saw the broken parts as well I am guessing. I had at one point thought instead of zip ties, using the same type of chain that is used for bath and sink plugs, that little ball type that snaps into the oval clasp. Depending on where you live or who sells it, sometimes called beaded or ball chain.

Are you using the lace for it as well though?
The wire ties secure the upper and lower gimbal halves, the lace is to secure the camera in the event the camera detaches from the H.
Yup. I agree. It's overkill. I've had two detachments. The first with the Q500. The mount on the bottom of the Q apparently had a crack on the flange from a hard landing. I had many flights after that with no problem until I got into some gusty wind which bounced it around. The second occurred with the H when the ST16 shut the motors off at 180'. The H landed in the top of a pine tree, but the camera detached and continued to fall over 80' to the ground.

Last edited:
Steve: How do you get that top piece or dust cover off the camera mount to slip the ties down thru?

Steve: How do you get that top piece or dust cover off the camera mount to slip the ties down thru?
The dust cover just sits over the gimbal. You simply pull out a bit on the sides of the dust cover at the front and back. Then it slips off.

This happens to be the CGO-ET camera which costs 4x the H body so I'm hanging on to this one.

The wire ties secure the upper and lower gimbal halves, the lace is to secure the camera in the event the camera detaches from the H.

Yup. I agree. It's overkill. I've had two detachments. The first with the Q500. The mount on the bottom of the Q apparently had a crack on the flange from a hard landing. I had many flights after that with no problem until I got into some gusty wind which bounced it around. The second occurred with the H when the ST16 shut the motors off at 180'. The H landed in the top of a pine tree, but the camera detached and continued to fall over 80' to the ground.
Man.. sorry to hear that, must suck seeing your investment broken like that, do you have any idea what caused the motor shutdown? And did you try get it covered by yuneec?

Campbell

The dust cover just sits over the gimbal. You simply pull out a bit on the sides of the dust cover at the front and back. Then it slips off.

This happens to be the CGO-ET camera which costs 4x the H body so I'm hanging on to this one.

Got it. Thanks Steve. Did you ever find out why your ST16 shut the motors off?

do you have any idea what caused the motor shutdown? And did you try get it covered by yuneec?
Did you ever find out why your ST16 shut the motors off?
I did indeed identify the problem. It was not covered by warranty. Yuneec claimed it was pilot error. I should add this problem is extremely rare and I only know of 5-6 other people who experienced this problem. I was just one of the "Lucky Few". This was the topic of a rather long thread. In flight failure

I did indeed identify the problem. It was not covered by warranty. Yuneec claimed it was pilot error. I should add this problem is extremely rare and I only know of 5-6 other people who experienced this problem. I was just one of the "Lucky Few". This was the topic of a rather long thread. In flight failure

This should be Stickied, shouldn't it? I checked my screen and it looks correct. I was just in there Saturday adjusting the Expo on right stick, so I had no idea about any of this. What is the 662 value? I don't see that number anyplace.

This should be Stickied, shouldn't it? I checked my screen and it looks correct. I was just in there Saturday adjusting the Expo on right stick, so I had no idea about any of this. What is the 662 value? I don't see that number anyplace.
For all but the most experienced pilots, the Expo settings is not a place for a casual stroll. One misstep will send the H to the ground. They can be complicated and they are undocumented. Making changes also voids the warranty.

The values are from the remote_xxx00.csv file in the FlightLog directory. That file will match the number of the telemetry file for the same flight. It contains a log of the sticks, switches and sliders on the ST16. The values are recorded as number which represent the position of a switch or stick. Center position of a stick is about 2048, max is around 3414 and minimum is around 662. So from reading the file you can see what the pilot is doing with each control.

There is one major flaw in the design of this file. There is not a separate channel for the Arm switch. It is recorded on Channel Zero which is the throttle. When the left stick is pulled back completely, Channel 0 will read 662. When Big Red is pressed the value will drop to zero. So at the beginning of a flight when you press Red to start the motors, the number drops from 2048 to zero. At the end of the flight when you again press Red to stop the motors, the number drops to zero. Most of the time it will read 2048 until you move the left stick.

For all but the most experienced pilots, the Expo settings is not a place for a casual stroll. One misstep will send the H to the ground. They can be complicated and they are undocumented. Making changes also voids the warranty.

The values are from the remote_xxx00.csv file in the FlightLog directory. That file will match the number of the telemetry file for the same flight. It contains a log of the sticks, switches and sliders on the ST16. The values are recorded as number which represent the position of a switch or stick. Center position of a stick is about 2048, max is around 3414 and minimum is around 662. So from reading the file you can see what the pilot is doing with each control.

There is one major flaw in the design of this file. There is not a separate channel for the Arm switch. It is recorded on Channel Zero which is the throttle. When the left stick is pulled back completely, Channel 0 will read 662. When Big Red is pressed the value will drop to zero. So at the beginning of a flight when you press Red to start the motors, the number drops from 2048 to zero. At the end of the flight when you again press Red to stop the motors, the number drops to zero. Most of the time it will read 2048 until you move the left stick.
I am fairly experienced when it come to RC. I only made the adjustment to my Simulator Model. The directions to do this is clearly described in this Forum. Where is it stated this voids warranty?

I am fairly experienced when it come to RC. I only made the adjustment to my Simulator Model. The directions to do this is clearly described in this Forum. Where is it stated this voids warranty?
Yes, I understand you have the experience needed to make adjustments. That's just my standard warning for those who would like to play. The warranty void came from Yuneec although I don't think you can find it anywhere. If you sent a unit in for warranty repair they would disallow a claim if they see the settings are changed from factory settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval