Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Should I have not gotten a Typhoon H for first drone?

If you are flying in Angle mode - you need to have the drone orientated correctly to you - visually with the lights that orientate the drone to you.
On the Typhoon G these are white lights which you have facing you constantly if you are in angle mode.
If you have the white lights facing you THEN and ONLY THEN will the control stick control the drone correctly in the direction you move the stick. Left will go left. Right will go right. Pulling toward you brings the drone toward you.

Well I have been flying the sim like an RC aircraft with white lights as the front and red as the rear. So when you say have the white lights always facing you you mean 'Always?'
For example I fly away and want to film right to left, should I then use the right stick to strafe left rather than turning with the left stick and putting the white lights pointing to the left?

Jeff Sibelius has a great how to fly quad copter series. This series is aimed at the Q500 but it also goes with just about any camera platform multirotor.
This video highlights Smart mode vs Angle mode
This other video will demonstrate the different uses of Smart mode vs Angle mode.

Reactions: OnTheRopes
Jeff Sibelius has a great how to fly quad copter series. This series is aimed at the Q500 but it also goes with just about any camera platform multirotor.
This video highlights Smart mode vs Angle mode
This other video will demonstrate the different uses of Smart mode vs Angle mode.
Thanks for posting this, these are very useful videos

Reactions: Mortalis
If you are flying in Angle mode - you need to have the drone orientated correctly to you - visually with the lights that orientate the drone to you.
On the Typhoon G these are white lights which you have facing you constantly if you are in angle mode.
If you have the white lights facing you THEN and ONLY THEN will the control stick control the drone correctly in the direction you move the stick. Left will go left. Right will go right. Pulling toward you brings the drone toward you.

For the beginner, the point of mass confusion is when the drone gets mis oriented and then near a tree.

You move the sticks and it goes the wrong way.

So UP is always UP. If you are near a tree and can't figure out which way you are going - and you can go UP - go up. Get OUT of the trees. THEN figure out what to do next.

Yes the 26' fence of death.
Well you then need to keep the drone 26 or more feet
away from you and then you can fly in smart mode.

In smart mode it DOES NOT MATTER which way the drone is facing.

The directional stick will get the drone going the way you push the stick in smart mode.

But you can't bring the drone close to you in smart mode.

Get the drone close - get the white lights then toward you.

Go to Angle mode.
Then you can bring it in and the controls will obey the direction of the directional stick on the right.

If you need to look up the flashes and colors
Download the Typhoon G quick start guide.
Probably one for the Typhoon H too.
I doubt they changed the color combinations between them.

Blinking usually means problem - like GPS lock gone, no fly zone or you have GPS off.

You want SOLID lights.

Thanks for your input. One thing though. I have the Typhoon "H" which has six motors. So mine has white lights between the front and rear. It has green lights on the front and red at the rear of the drone. The main LED light is below the battery on the rear of the drone.

Anyway, part of my initial problem was that I could not make my Typhoon H fly in the proper direction using the right joy stick. And I must have been in Smart Mode, but only just a few feet from it when I lifted off the ground to about six feet.
I have done a compass calibration successfully and waiting for the weather to stop raining before I try again. I'll definitely make sure I'm in "Angle Mode" before takeoff. I also noted that the slider control for acceleration was almost all the way up, thus not in 'Turtle Mode'.

I also have a Phantom 1 that's about three years old, so I am familiar with flying drones. I just want to make sure everything is working in the correct direction when I move the right hand joy stick. I will be sure to be in a wide open area, too.

Thanks again,
Mojoe35

For the beginner, the point of mass confusion is when the drone gets mis oriented and then near a tree.

You move the sticks and it goes the wrong way.

So UP is always UP. If you are near a tree and can't figure out which way you are going - and you can go UP - go up. Get OUT of the trees. THEN figure out what to do next.

Yes the 26' fence of death.
Well you then need to keep the drone 26 or more feet
away from you and then you can fly in smart mode.

In smart mode it DOES NOT MATTER which way the drone is facing.

The directional stick will get the drone going the way you push the stick in smart mode.

But you can't bring the drone close to you in smart mode.

Get the drone close - get the white lights then toward you.

Go to Angle mode.
Then you can bring it in and the controls will obey the direction of the directional stick on the right.

If you need to look up the flashes and colors
Download the Typhoon G quick start guide.
Probably one for the Typhoon H too.
I doubt they changed the color combinations between them.

Blinking usually means problem - like GPS lock gone, no fly zone or you have GPS off.

You want SOLID lights.

I already made a reply to this, but made a mistake in what I said about where the lights are located on my Typhoon H. I said the white lights were in the middle between the front and rear arms. This was wrong. My white lights are on the forward arms and the middle arms have a blue and a green light on them. Of course the rear arms have red lights.

Sorry about that! I'm still on a weather hold, so may not get a flight today.

Mojoe35

The H is my first flying anything and so far its been a breeze to fly. And I'm already flying in angle mode after 3 flights. If you get into trouble let go of the sticks calm down and figure out what you need to do. Love that feature as you can easily get overwhelmed in an emergency when you aren't totally familiar with the equipment.

Griz

You are correct, this is an easy drone to fly, it was my first drone also, and whilst I would not disrespect the advice of other more experienced pilots as starting with a cheap drone is always a good idea I certainly don't think it is any way necessary. The simulator though not exciting at £20 will train your thumbs to go the right way.
It is quite easy if you pick a calm day and flat ground to take off to about 10 feet and gently land (in Angle Mode) then start some simple manouvres. Like you say, if in doubt just let all the leavers centre. You do of course have to be prepared for the possibility of crashing and the associated costs but it is certainly not inevitable. Whilst still new to this I now consider my self reasonably capable and ready to start working on getting the best out of the camera.

As one of those that typically advocates buying a cheap drone to start, I've seen my LHS host "intro to multi-rotor" classes where 20 people show up who have NEVER ever flown any type of drown. The LHS brings out like 5 or 6 P3Ps and with "coaches (their sales staff and trusted friends), lets people fly them. Of course its within reason, no crazy stuff, but these people are given a one hour class on flying and then are allowed to fly a high-end bird. Pretty cool to see peoples reaction!

For me advocating a "cheap" drone to start is because its easier and cheaper and hurts less to fix a $100 drone than a $1300.00 drone. The cheap drone really allowed me to exercise the limits of flight without real fear of losing or being out a lot of cash should it be totalled. It allowed me to panic and push the stick in the wrong direction and hit a tree with only a chipped propped. Made it so when I got my first AP drone it was a breeze to fly. I could immediately fly in Angle mode and since my 100 buck drone had no GPS, I learned finer drone control and can safely pilot any of my drones with GPS off. Which IMO, being able to fly with GPS off is important should you lose GPS for any reason (rarely happens but it can). BUT thats me and I don't push my beliefs on people.. To each his own and whatever you are comfortable with

I recently sold my Q500 4k to a guy who had zero drone experience but was intent on buying an AP Quad. We spent over an hour going over drone flying...

As I have mentioned before, Jeff Sebilius has a whole series of "how To" for flying the Q500. From the first time you look at the drone to more advanced photography techniques. There are also videos by "Quadcopter 101" that show a series of "How To" quad copter flying using various different models of quads.

I highly recommend these two channels for anyone looking to learn basics for quad copter flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval