Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Should I update firmware?

Reaction score
I just purchased my third Typhoon H on Black Friday - just received it, and it obviously is an older model. Only two antenna's, long toggle switches on ST 16. the loaded firmware is 3.01 B18 which seems to be very old. I have not flown the bird yet. My other two H's have flown great right out of the box. I have read of firmware update problems. Should I update? fly first? Suggestions welcome!

If there's nothing wrong with it, why fix it ? I would fly it first, then if it does something weird or something doesn't work like it should, then update. I don't know much about the updates though. I'd wait for @DoomMeister , @Ty Pilot or @rdonson . I'd like to see what one of them have to say about this.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
@Mr. I is correct in my opinion. Fly it first. There have been no updates for the standard H in almost a year and a half. I would fly first, if something is wrong right out of the box you have a standing to get it corrected by the seller. Most likely if it were and older firmware it would have been updated in the refurb process.

I'd say the opposite :) The latest firmware is the best there is for the H, and adds a great deal of functionality that isn't there in earlier versions, for example cruise control and RTH height adjustment and LED control etc...

I just purchased my third Typhoon H on Black Friday - just received it, and it obviously is an older model. Only two antenna's, long toggle switches on ST 16. the loaded firmware is 3.01 B18 which seems to be very old. I have not flown the bird yet. My other two H's have flown great right out of the box. I have read of firmware update problems. Should I update? fly first? Suggestions welcome!
I have used both firmware and in all honesty, it is personal preference. I would suggest flying with the original one first to see if you like it. The update did add a few things, but you also lost. If the original is giving you what you want, then don't update. It works fine with either.

Of course it's up to you, but I think in a few of the updates they fixed things that could lead to flyaways / other serious problems. To remain on an old version may put you at unnecessary risk...

Of course it's up to you, but I think in a few of the updates they fixed things that could lead to flyaways / other serious problems. To remain on an old version may put you at unnecessary risk...
That is correct, it could help with a potential fly away, but it was never shown that it actually would. But as I mentioned earlier, it is preference. There are still many H pilots that use the older firmware and have no issues.

Thanks for the feedback thus far - I'll take more! Note: I do not believe the unit to be a refurb. Was not advertised as such, and packaging seems to be factory. My theory is this reseller bought a ton of aged product, and blew it out the door on Black Friday.

You never know how long that H was sitting in a warehouse in the China or elsewhere. I have two H birds. One from early 2017 and one from late 2017. Neither was at the most recent firmware levels when I got them. The newer H had the original firmware in it.

The problem for me with running old firmware is obviously the potential for not having bug fixes and missing out on new features. I liked the new features so I've kept both of my birds at the latest level (drone and controller firmware). You may have different preferences. Your choice.

Downloads Typhoon H

UPDATE: I decided to do the firmware update on ST 16 & the H. I'm really glad I did - the H seems to be more stable in flight, and the controller has been updated to show the features that I have with my other two H's. MANY THANKS to the Jeff Sibelius video on updating firmware. I followed it step by step with no issues. Total time was well less than one hour. Thanks again everyone for your input.

Reactions: PatR and rdonson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval