Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

So You Want a Commercial Drone

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
For those considering a commercial/pro photography drone, the attached link is illustrative of what it really takes to achieve the quality of work demanded by more savvy customers. Look at the different payloads being used and recognize that any true commercial rig requires the ability to change payloads to suit the task at hand. Lacking payload variety limits your ability. Note the use of an upper and lower gimbal mount. Those that center their work around inspections quickly learn why a bottom mounted camera is severely limiting. Note the landing gear does not raise and lower, introducing a failure point in the system. Instead the gear rotates with the gimbal, assuring it stays out of the camera view and is always ready to be used for landing. Note the use of a laptop as part of normal flight operations to program flight plans and other functions. Note the use of an open software flight control system, not one that pretends to be open while actually being locked down to prevent user alteration.

Some will say; "But that costs a lot more money than an (insert consumer drone brand and model of choice), or "I can't afford it", or "It's much larger than (brand-model) and not convenient for transport or back packing." Recognize those "arguments" are actually just excuses that prevent us from achieving the level of success we strive for. Until we look beyond the more common products, or until common product manufacturers elect to provide the system diversity necessary for success, our ability for our businesses to stand out from the crowd will remain limited to the quality of the tools used to create the raw product. So save your loose change and avoid buying into the next level of minor improvements that require you to purchase the next version of this or that you already have, unless you are satisfied with where you are now. The market demands more quality, data, and versatility every day and unless we are prepared to deliver, using a system that allows upgrading without having to buy a new base platform, we will never be able to keep up or compete.

Introducing the Alta Pro line of Multirotor Drones - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

For those considering a commercial/pro photography drone, the attached link is illustrative of what it really takes to achieve the quality of work demanded by more savvy customers. Look at the different payloads being used and recognize that any true commercial rig requires the ability to change payloads to suit the task at hand. Lacking payload variety limits your ability. Note the use of an upper and lower gimbal mount. Those that center their work around inspections quickly learn why a bottom mounted camera is severely limiting. Note the landing gear does not raise and lower, introducing a failure point in the system. Instead the gear rotates with the gimbal, assuring it stays out of the camera view and is always ready to be used for landing. Note the use of a laptop as part of normal flight operations to program flight plans and other functions. Note the use of an open software flight control system, not one that pretends to be open while actually being locked down to prevent user alteration.

Some will say; "But that costs a lot more money than an (insert consumer drone brand and model of choice), or "I can't afford it", or "It's much larger than (brand-model) and not convenient for transport or back packing." Recognize those "arguments" are actually just excuses that prevent us from achieving the level of success we strive for. Until we look beyond the more common products, or until common product manufacturers elect to provide the system diversity necessary for success, our ability for our businesses to stand out from the crowd will remain limited to the quality of the tools used to create the raw product. So save your loose change and avoid buying into the next level of minor improvements that require you to purchase the next version of this or that you already have, unless you are satisfied with where you are now. The market demands more quality, data, and versatility every day and unless we are prepared to deliver, using a system that allows upgrading without having to buy a new base platform, we will never be able to keep up or compete.

Introducing the Alta Pro line of Multirotor Drones - sUAS News - The Business of Drones
Gotta go big or stay at home. No two ways about it. So, PatR when you getting yours?

Last edited:
The munchkin boat crew had one American Indian, one African American, one Polish American, one Greek American, one Italian American, and two tough kids from the midwest. They out-paddled, out-ran and out-swam all the other boat crews. The big men in the other boat crews would always make good-natured fun of the tiny little flippers the munchkins put on their tiny little feet prior to every swim. But somehow these little guys, from every corner of the nation and the world, always had the last laugh — swimming faster than everyone and reaching the shore long before the rest of us.

SEAL training was a great equalizer. Nothing mattered but your will to succeed. Not your color, not your ethnic background, not your education and not your social status.

If you want to change the world, measure a person by the size of their heart, not the size of their flippers.

- by Admiral William H. McRaven

Size matters? Nope... What’s matters is providing the end product.

No doubt that is a premium bit of kit. And I agree that if you strive to operate at the highest levels it is what is required. But there are still an awful lot of people doing fine with the more prosumer level equipment. But no question that will only go so far.

But you have a good point, if people think they can buy a Typhoon and hit the big time with it, they're dreaming.

Tools is what we are investing on. A Yuneec drone is a mere tool. I’ve seen folks, with bigger drones, shooting one contract and cannot justify the cost of their investment.

Gotta go big or stay at home. No two ways about it. So, PatR when you getting yours?

I actually had an earlier version of one with a Cinestar 8 with a Radian 3 axis mechanical gimbal. It found a new home with an aerial outfit in another state where it was later retired. If I was one looking to build a serious aerial imagery business an Freefly or Aerial Alchemy rig would be the direction I took. The user options are pretty much unlimited which in turn eliminates the issue of your business being limited to what a drone manufacturer allows you to have.

That’s actually a pretty big deal as your customer base is much more concerned about what they can have and do. They can’t tolerate being hindered by a vendor’s limitations.

Reactions: Grumpy
Tools is what we are investing on. A Yuneec drone is a mere tool. I’ve seen folks, with bigger drones, shooting one contract and cannot justify the cost of their investment.

That has a lot more to do with their marketing skills and efforts doesn’t it?

Reactions: AH-1G
Depending the size of your investment and the demand for your services will determine your ROI.
So hustle baby hustle!

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I'm sure glad I'm only in it for the fun of the hobby. I only have to please me. ROI is not my concern, only play value, and I have hit the big time there!:cool:

However, if you're like me (and I know I am) you are your own worst critic. Sure glad I don't have to please anyone else, I have my hands full answering to myself!:rolleyes:

We can’t allow our tools to limit us, which is pretty much what has occurred across consumer level drones. We are being limited to what we can do to what a maker wants to provide.

That most can provide much more than they do should be accepted, The problem for them is that in giving more than they do limits THEIR profit potential. There is much, much more to be made in incremental releases that require multiple purchases to obtain. Mandating that performance increases require only their accessory products be used increases their profit potential further, while reducing ours to the maximum level their product will allow.

This is what most don’t see. As technology advances or the businesses we serve demand greater levels of service, should we be forced to keep up or get ahead by needing to buy new platforms? Or might adding or diversifying our payloads be more cost effective and efficient?

How many multirotors do we need to have in order to maintain or advance our services when only one can effectively provide multiple functions through expansion and plug ins?

Going back to a previous Seal analogy, they don’t discard a Seal every time technology or weaponry advances, they re-train him to use the new technology. They don’t need as many Seals that way. Their elevated intelligence permits them to plan using efficiency instead of disposable quantity to execute the mission.

BTW, Adm. McRaven really insulted his Seals in that speech. How many low intelligence, under educated Seals has anyone known? Some are certainly “knuckle draggers” but they are very smart, well educated knuckle draggers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCH
I'm sure glad I'm only in it for the fun of the hobby. I only have to please me. ROI is not my concern, only play value, and I have hit the big time there!:cool:

However, if you're like me (and I know I am) you are your own worst critic. Sure glad I don't have to please anyone else, I have my hands full answering to myself!:rolleyes:

I like your way of thinking[emoji106]

Reactions: Docdor

Are you sure you are like you? Not like the unsure you that is confusing you?

Here's an interesting video from an industry professional and an all around good guy:

So, if I understand this the only real professionals are folks involved in making television shows, commercials and movies. Everything else is not professional? Construction monitoring, agricultural flying, power line/tower inspection, roof inspections, insurance documentation, and any sort of aerial photographic documentation is not actually "professional"? Interesting.

Reactions: DCH
That was a good video and provided plusses and minuses for both sides of the spectrum. Tools to fit the job and personal skill levels.

He mentioned something I agree with regarding mass differences between smaller and larger drones, the larger ones do “feel” better when you are flying. They are certainly smoother. That’s part of the reason I stopped flying the H-480 after acquiring a 920. It’s more of a thoroughbred instead of a jack rabbit in control response. Only a couple things I regret with it, inability to run team mode and lack of GPS EXIF data.

There’s another thread running in a different forum where a guy is complaining about lens flare. The video showing product from different cameras and lenses could benefit him greatly.

Thanks for posting[emoji1690]

Reactions: Docdor
He mentioned something I agree with regarding mass differences between smaller and larger drones, the larger ones do “feel” better when you are flying. They are certainly smoother.

That seems to be a constant in sUAS whether MR or RC models. Bigger flies better. I feel that a 40 pound 42% Extra is much easier to fly and land than a small 40-inch span plane. Physics or something must be in play there.

I thought the video was good as well, I also found the bias that only professional film making are considered true "pros". I think that definition a little narrow. There are a wide spectrum of service drones can provide, high end cinema making is just one of them.

Reactions: Docdor and PatR
Regarding that 42% comparison, I think it comes down to Reynold’s numbers, power to weight, and wing area. As one that flew a whole lot of 35%-46% planes I can certainly attest to them being better and easier to fly. Trying to harrier land a .40 size trainer or even an aerobat is an exercise usually ending in disaster.

Reactions: Phaedrus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss