Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST-16 Sunshade

I bought an ST-16 sunshade from Vertigo Drones. In no way does it fit the controller. It flops all over the place. I sent pictures back to the supplier & they suggested I buy a Hoodman sunshade. Does anyone have a Hoodman, does it fit & is it worth $60? Thanks ahead for any comments.

Vic

Hi Vic
I seem to think your not fitting the fade correctly, it fit's extremely well as doesn't flop all over the place !!
Did you read the fitting instructions ?

Cheers Michael

I assume that you haven't read the previous post where I admitted to not having installed the shade correctly. However, as an engineer I fail to understand how a stiff piece of material with two pins facing opposite directions can be installed into two holes with a result of a tight fit.

Vic

Hi Vic

I Don't mean to be rude Vic, but as they say, to many brains can be dangerous !!
If you have a closer look at the 4 Attachment points for the sun Sade you will find a much smaller hole under the larger hole, as you have a metal sunshade it might fit differently, but the original one fits as snug as a bug !!

Cheers Michael

I actually read that wrong before I relied, material not metal !!
I will admit, when I first went to fit the shade I thought it was a piece of junk,
I just needed a closer look !!

Anyway I hope you found my little bit of information helpful

Cheers Michael

Here again, everything you said has been discussed in previous posts. I'm not sure which shade you're talking about as having a tight fit. According to the preceding posts, the original shades have metal pins that are spring loaded to insure that they will stay in the holes. Newer ones (like the one I bought) have plastic pins with no locking mechanisms. It also has been noted that original ones are difficult to find.

Vic

Vic,

Look at it from a production cost versus performance perspective. The glare shield only needs to remain in position, be easily installed and removed, at least somewhat effective for blocking glare, collapse for ease of packaging, and as cheap as possible to manufacture. A little motion while in place is not a major concern. In general the shield meets the 80-85% rule.

Anyone that desires a perfect, motionless fit needs only to apply a few small beads of clear silicone around the outside edges. Anyone that wants to get rid of sun glare 100% of the time needs to either only fly at night or fly under a giant beach umbrella.

As to putting things in the wrong hole, I think many have been guilty of that and it hasn’t been limited to the pins on sun shades...

• Wow
Reactions: KellyR and Chewman
Hi again Vic, do you have the four mounting points on the controller, two on each side of the screen ?
does yours have the much smaller hole under the larger holes in the mounting points ?
i seem to think it would be much easier if I spoke with by phone
please call me Vic 0434498797

cheers Michael

Vic,

Look at it from a production cost versus performance perspective. The glare shield only needs to remain in position, be easily installed and removed, at least somewhat effective for blocking glare, collapse for ease of packaging, and as cheap as possible to manufacture. A little motion while in place is not a major concern. In general the shield meets the 80-85% rule.

Anyone that desires a perfect, motionless fit needs only to apply a few small beads of clear silicone around the outside edges. Anyone that wants to get rid of sun glare 100% of the time needs to either only fly at night or fly under a giant beach umbrella.

As to putting things in the wrong hole, I think many have been guilty of that and it hasn’t been limited to the pins on sun shades...

But the shade does fit perfectly !!

Hi again Vic, do you have the four mounting points on the controller, two on each side of the screen ?
does yours have the much smaller hole under the larger holes in the mounting points ?
i seem to think it would be much easier if I spoke with by phone
please call me Vic 0434498797

cheers Michael
I don't think a phone call is necessary! This thread could have been terminated after about three posts when I had the answer to my question. Having said that, I've learned quite a bit about sun shades & their "fitness". I'm not looking for the perfect fit. I'm looking for functionality. When I get a shade that works, I'll probably put it on in the spring & take it off in the fall. I don't fly in winter as the snow is too deep at my place to retrieve if it was to go down. Vic

If anyone cares...the Hoodman works well but has its own issues like dealing with the touch screen through the gap and the straps bumping sticks when installing . It works best with a remote holder like Ty’s or even the hoodman ridiculously large belt. That being said, it does work well in the field on cutting glare and you can in a pinch, stick your face in it to really cut out exterior light.

Flops all over? Hmm...

I too fell for that trap. It was a case of misdirected attention. I do occasionally use the plastic sunshade but I have never been completely happy with it. My frustration stems from the fact that the sunshade has all the hall marks of a feature that the designers never considered and then suddenly realized it was needed - two weeks before product release. In my line of work I have this happen before....more than once.
So I am still going to make a hood (with carbon fiber) for myself that incorporates easy management of the neck strap. I will post the results and design when I finally get round to it....have to finish the laser cutter first:(

Easy management of the neck strap is a good idea. The current OEM shade can and has caused the latches to be deflected over far enough to interfere with the flight controls.

Yes, now that you mention it I can see how the shade may increase risk of interfering with controls.
I have already made a prototype neck strap that allows me to easily modify chest height and viewing angle of the ST16 which cost me the grand sum $6 in total but it is a little "rough" so I will refine it a bit before bringing the shade into the picture (pardon the pun).

Yet another reason to use a tray!!! :p
Hi Phaedrus, I have the hood and belt , it is a great bit of kit but. Yes the big but, it is no where near as good as Ty pilots tray. I just wished the tray was in production before I bought the Hoodman belt could have saved a heap of $$$$$ and now I have a Hood man belt for sale. ??.... Johnno Hennessy .

I could see using a tray is good for people with Arthritis etc, I think ithe controller could be heavy to hold for some, the hood and reflective film is sufficient here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval