Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

St16 Not Detecting H3

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the drone community and especially new to Yuneec. I purchased an H3 a while back and was able to fly a few times to get mt feet wet. After then, I moved 2,000 miles across the country and tried to fly again.
The st16 controller doesn't seem to detect the H3 drone at all.. It wont respond to any input from the controller to take off, and also will not rotate or tilt the camera. I am able to connect to the camera easily, but still not able to get any response from the drone.
Is there anyone who is familiar with a problem like this and know fix it?

Best,
Adam

The first step would be to try re-binding the controller to the drone. These binding instructions were copied from Page 11 of the H3 manual.
View attachment 27891
Thank you for the quick reply. I have performed the steps mentioned above and the results are as followed:
After pressing "okay" to unbind the controller, the menu now displays "No RC found". At the point, the aircraft is still blinking yellow rapidly, and no prompt is displaying which notifies that the binding is complete.

Thank you for the tip. I have done this quite a few times with no success.
I pretty much thought you might have. But I thought it was worth asking anyway.

The problem now becomes determining if it is the drone or the controller that has a problem. At the moment, it is a pure toss-up whether the drone transceiver is not transmitting or if the controller transceiver is not receiving. We will need to find something to shed some light.

1. Possible troubleshooting option: Do you have either another controller or another drone available? That would make it easy to see if the drone is sending a signal.

2. Recent history (between the last time it worked and the first time it did not):
a.) Was the controller turned on without the antennas attached?
b,) Have any recent repairs or modifications been made?
c.) Have there been any recent firmware updates?
d.) Was there anything about the storage/transport during the move that might play a role?

3. Current status:
a.) When "DRONE" is selected on the binding screen, is there a long number (starting with "SR24...") outside the box, to the upper left of the box?
b.) When you go to the "RC Monitor" screen, do all the control scales respond to the associated stick/switch/button/slider/knob movement?

Reactions: DoomMeister
I pretty much thought you might have. But I thought it was worth asking anyway.

The problem now becomes determining if it is the drone or the controller that has a problem. At the moment, it is a pure toss-up whether the drone transceiver is not transmitting or if the controller transceiver is not receiving. We will need to find something to shed some light.

1. Possible troubleshooting option: Do you have either another controller or another drone available? That would make it easy to see if the drone is sending a signal.

2. Recent history (between the last time it worked and the first time it did not):
a.) Was the controller turned on without the antennas attached?
b,) Have any recent repairs or modifications been made?
c.) Have there been any recent firmware updates?
d.) Was there anything about the storage/transport during the move that might play a role?

3. Current status:
a.) When "DRONE" is selected on the binding screen, is there a long number (starting with "SR24...") outside the box, to the upper left of the box?
b.) When you go to the "RC Monitor" screen, do all the control scales respond to the associated stick/switch/button/slider/knob movement?
1. As for this first option, I do not have another controller or another drone available. :(

2a) The controller has never been turned on without the antennas attached.
2b) No recent repairs or modifications.
2c) The recent firmware updates have been installed.
2d) Transport was done with the included foam container. No major incidents to report.

3a) There is a long number starting with SR24 in the binding screen under drone.
3b) In the RC Monitor screen, it doesn't appear to be any movement in the scales when using the associate stick/switch/button/slider/ or knob.
If this is the issue, what would the fix me?

Again, thank you for the time you're taking to help.

2c) The recent firmware updates have been installed.

3b) In the RC Monitor screen, it doesn't appear to be any movement in the scales when using the associate stick/switch/button/slider/ or knob.
If this is the issue, what would the fix me?
The dead stick issue is sometimes associated with a firmware update that did not install correctly. It has been seen on H520 and H Plus. I believe H3 is similar to H Plus. That makes the recent update you installed a possible culprit.

1.) The dead stick issue is sometimes resolved simply by shutting down the controller and restarting. (but I'm pretty sure you've already done that a bunch of times.)

2.) It might be worth a try to shut the controller down, remove the battery for about 1 minute, then restart it.

3.) I don't recall a "factory reset" as fixing the problem, but examples of the problem are pretty limited. I can't rule out the possibility that a reset might help. Be aware you will probably have to reinstall the controller APP after a factory reset.

4.) You may need to re-install the entire firmware update. It would be a good idea to post a screenshot of your firmware versions page to see what you currently have installed.

Did you do the first update over the air via WIFI? The controller update can also be done using the SD card method.

The dead stick issue is sometimes associated with a firmware update that did not install correctly. It has been seen on H520 and H Plus. I believe H3 is similar to H Plus. That makes the recent update you installed a possible culprit.

1.) The dead stick issue is sometimes resolved simply by shutting down the controller and restarting. (but I'm pretty sure you've already done that a bunch of times.)

2.) It might be worth a try to shut the controller down, remove the battery for about 1 minute, then restart it.

3.) I don't recall a "factory reset" as fixing the problem, but examples of the problem are pretty limited. I can't rule out the possibility that a reset might help. Be aware you will probably have to reinstall the controller APP after a factory reset.

4.) You may need to re-install the entire firmware update. It would be a good idea to post a screenshot of your firmware versions page to see what you currently have installed.

Did you do the first update over the air via WIFI? The controller update can also be done using the SD card method.
Sorry for the delay in replying.

The controller has been turned on and off several time, of course. haha
I removed the battery and reinstalled, no change.
I did a factory reset and reinstalled the controller app, with no change.
I re-installed the firmware update both via wifi and the sd car with no change.

Attachments

• yuneec screenshot.jpg
    yuneec screenshot.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
I re-installed the firmware update both via wifi and the sd car with no change.
I notice the APP date in your screenshot is several months different from the other firmware dates. I do not know about the H3 firmware history. I do know the H3 firmware update stored in the Yuneec Skins repository has an APK date that is the same as the other file dates on your controller. And I just loaded the Yuneec Skins H3 update onto an ST16S, and the sticks work fine. That is not a lot to go on, but at least suggests it is worth a try.
1.) Use the PAD to uninstall the currently loaded H3 APK
2.) Download the matching APK from this link.
3.) Copy the APK to your controller.
4.) Ensure security settings to allow installation of unknown sources is "checked" to allow the installation.
5.) Install the APK from the copy you just made on the controller.

These should be the new file dates for the controller portion:
Previous Firmware.png

Last edited:
I just ran across another controller with the "Dead Stick" issue (No response on RC Monitor). This one turned out to be a failed 2.4Ghz Module. You might want to do a quick check of the transmitter to see if you are getting the proper response from your 2.4 Ghz module. See PDF below for details.

Attachments

• Radio Test.pdf
    395.2 KB · Views: 16
I just ran across another controller with the "Dead Stick" issue (No response on RC Monitor). This one turned out to be a failed 2.4Ghz Module. You might want to do a quick check of the transmitter to see if you are getting the proper response from your 2.4 Ghz module. See PDF below for details.
It appears as though I am getting "Transmitter not response" under the Step 2: Reading version number of Radio.

Sounds like the "RF Update" may have glitched during the firmware upgrade. If this is just a firmware glitch, we should be able to resolve it. If it's a hardware problem, it's a different.

Let's assume for now it is a firmware glitch. There are several ways to "bump" the RF update. Listed here in order of difficulty:
  • Downgrade the APP to the previous version.
  • Redo the entire upgrade using SD cards
  • Convert the Controller to HPlus, then back to H3.
  • Convert the Controller to H520, then back to H3.
  • Convert the Controller to ST16 for Typhoon H, then to H520 ST16S and then finally back to H3 ST16. (Your gonna know a LOT about firmware when this is done)

Try just downgrading the APP first.
  1. Go to Pad/Security setting.
  2. Ensure the box for allow installation from unknown sources is checked.
  3. Go back to the pad menu.
  4. Uninstall the existing Flightmode3 APP.
  5. Download the previous APP from Yuneec-App-Release.apk.
  6. Copy the APP to the controller.
  7. Install the APP.

I have an H3 and I am getting no response from the controller. I check the settings in the st16 controller, and there is no Product Id number. It allows for one to be entered in, but I have no idea how to find this number on my drone.
Any ideas?

I have an H3 and I am getting no response from the controller. I check the settings in the st16 controller, and there is no Product Id number. It allows for one to be entered in, but I have no idea how to find this number on my drone.
Any ideas?
I don't know about the H3, but on my H Pro it's on the right side rear..

It sounds like the H3 is no longer Bound to the ST16s, when Bound the Product ID Number is Automatically Displayed, You won't find the Product ID Number Displayed anywhere on the Aircraft, it's not the Serial Number, and it's Only Displayed on your ST16s, it's also not a Number you can enter... unless... a New Product ID Number has been re-issued for a No-Fly Zone (NFZ) Release. I know this to be true, because I issue the NFZ Release's for the H3.
Possible Solution; Try Re-Binding the ST16s Controller to the H3.

I don't know about the H3, but on my H Pro it's on the right side rear..
The Typhoon H/H-Pro Product ID Number can only be obtained from connecting the Drone to the Yuneec Typhoon H GUI Program, and is not Displayed anywhere else, including the ST16.

Reactions: johnnyb57
The Typhoon H/H-Pro Product ID Number can only be obtained from connecting the Drone to the Yuneec Typhoon H GUI Program, and is not Displayed anywhere else, including the ST16.
You are correct. That is the SN#.

Reactions: Yuneec Skins
The question is what @aoddol1990 really need. The product ID is not needed for anything except NFZ settings. What means "entered in"? Binding process? Camera or drone? There are a lot of numbers that plays a roll:
- MAC address of camera (not for user input or change, but for getting IP Address from WiFi hot spot.
- SSID of camera,
- Password for camera,
- Password 1234567890 for the camera,
- Receiver-ID from SR24 (drone).
The question is what he wants to do, what he wants to get.

br HE

Reactions: Yuneec Skins
It sounds like the H3 is no longer Bound to the ST16s, when Bound the Product ID Number is Automatically Displayed, You won't find the Product ID Number Displayed anywhere on the Aircraft, it's not the Serial Number, and it's Only Displayed on your ST16s, it's also not a Number you can enter... unless... a New Product ID Number has been re-issued for a No-Fly Zone (NFZ) Release. I know this to be true, because I issue the NFZ Release's for the H3.
Possible Solution; Try Re-Binding the ST16s Controller to the H3.
The controller doesn't seem to want to bind to the H3. I am able to connect to the camera, but not to the drone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval